Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
I have a low mileage bike that has a SRAM Eagle NX Cassette. I am going to upgrade to an X01 cassette. Should I install a new chain too?
Hopefully you know you need a wheel/hub with an XD driver for an X01 cassette?

But, how "low mileage" are you talking?

·
Registered
2018 Trek Stache
1,517 Posts
I would, but I also have to ask, are your hubs able to convert the freehub from HG to XD or did you get a new wheel? The XO1 cassette won't fit your existing hub as is.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,208 Posts
Unless your current chain is less than 2 months old, yeah, probably a good idea to.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The wheels are Bontrager Line Comp 30s. I'm told by Trek that I can get the XD driver body and a couple other parts (pawls and springs I think they said) to make the conversion. It sounds like I better just get a new chain while I am at it.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Unless the chain is very new, and at least an X01 chain, definite yes. When your cassette puts a huge dent in a stack of 4 Benjamins, you want a good chain. The X01/XX1 chains seem to last longer than the GX or lower ones, and thus will help preserve the life of your cassette.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
The wheels are Bontrager Line Comp 30s. I'm told by Trek that I can get the XD driver body and a couple other parts (pawls and springs I think they said) to make the conversion. It sounds like I better just get a new chain while I am at it.
You can move the 3 pawls and springs over from your existing freehub, but get three more pawls and springs to double your engagement points.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Adding to what others have said...buy a new matching X01 chain, then regularly check for wear and replace it 0.5% wear. You can use a ruler or wear measuring tool to check for wear.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.