Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after I destroyed my derraileur the LBS said my chain was trashed also and went ahead and replaced it. 3 months of riding on my new bike and the mechanic said chain was 40% worn. Is it normal to for a new chain to skip on slightly worn cogs? It was skipping pretty badly. Seemed to skip more in higher gears though which did not make sense to me because I would think they are less worn. Anyways I took a nice spill tonight when it skipped at a really bad time flying downhill. Little scraped up but the bike is fine :D Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
If you replace a drivetrain component, the new component will degrade to the level of the most worn component in short order. In other words, yes a new chain will skip on worn cogs.
gtdrew said:
Well after I destroyed my derraileur the LBS said my chain was trashed also and went ahead and replaced it. 3 months of riding on my new bike and the mechanic said chain was 40% worn. Is it normal to for a new chain to skip on slightly worn cogs? It was skipping pretty badly. Seemed to skip more in higher gears though which did not make sense to me because I would think they are less worn. Anyways I took a nice spill tonight when it skipped at a really bad time flying downhill. Little scraped up but the bike is fine :D Thanks for the help.

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,771 Posts
Chain...by far

I can go through at least 3 chains sometimes 5-6 before I change rear cogs. If you replace your chain before it developes too much slop your rear cogs will not have any abnormal wear and you can replace your chain without any skipping.

·
We want... a shrubbery!
550 Posts
I've never had chain problems before, and I was wondering how long a chain will last before it reaches the 1/16th overstretch mark? (Or rather, how many miles approximately--just an average, conditions aside?)
My concern is that I'll have to change the chain far too often than I would financially like to. Given it saves a cassette by changing the chains, won't the cassette in eventuality wear out? Would it be better to cycle through a group of chains as the cassette wears out? Thanks for your help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.