Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of upgrading my chain I got with the Marin Palisades bike to something better, but I need some help.

How does one select a new chain? I know I need a nine speed chain, but what other features do I need to take into consideration? I would like to be able to clean the chain on a regular basis by taking it off the bike. Shoud I go with an SRAM then? Should any chain be taken off on a weekly or bi-weekly basis?

Here is what I have so far (pulled from the Marin website):
Cassette: SRAM PG-950, Power Glide II, 9 speed, 11-32
Chain: Shimano HG 53
Crankset: TruVativ Five D 44/32/22

I don't know if any of this is relevant.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
799 Posts
SRAM chains have the powerlink as you might know. I haven't used it but aparently it's pretty good and you can take it apart as often as you like. Shimano chains I think use a one off special link which can be expensive. You don't actually need to take you chain off if you have a decent chain cleaner.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I would imagine I can get the chain much cleaner with it off then on. A side note, when cleaning, do you or anyone take off the casette and crank or typically just the chain?

·
(enter witty phrase here)
2,250 Posts
mcgrath0087 said:
How does one select a new chain? I know I need a nine speed chain, but what other features do I need to take into consideration? I would like to be able to clean the chain on a regular basis by taking it off the bike. Shoud I go with an SRAM then? Should any chain be taken off on a weekly or bi-weekly basis?
SRAM hands down. For anyone, and especially someone as yourself who want's to clean their chain on a regular basis. It's soooo nice to be able to pop open the power link and slip the chain off rather than using a friggin chain tool on a shimano. I'm tearing down and overhauling 2 bikes right now. 1 with Sram and 1 with Shimano chain. I forgot what a PITA the Shimanos are. Of course I had to walk all the way from my garage to the house to fetch my friggin chain tool.

The frequency which you clean your chain is up to you, how often you ride, your riding conditions, and your lube.
I tend not to ride in wet muddy weather and use a dry lube. Lube it every 2 or 3 rides. Take it off about once a month and thoroughly clean it.

·
Time is not a road.
4,150 Posts
Yeah, that ability to take the chain on and off is awesome. And it would save a TON of hassle if you were fixing a broken chain on the trail, except maybe if you broke the Powerlink, in which case, you'd better have a spare (mental note: a trip to the store is in order...!). But if you're obsessive about cleaning, and some are, the SRAM chain is the way to go.

·
(enter witty phrase here)
2,250 Posts
chad1433 said:
Yeah, that ability to take the chain on and off is awesome. And it would save a TON of hassle if you were fixing a broken chain on the trail, except maybe if you broke the Powerlink, in which case, you'd better have a spare (mental note: a trip to the store is in order...!). But if you're obsessive about cleaning, and some are, the SRAM chain is the way to go.
Not a big deal. You carry a chain tool right? Just remove the power link and connect the chain the "shimano" way. When you buy a new chain, there are always extra links. Keep a few in your repair kit for such emergency.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Buying a chain

So, when I go to buy my chain tonight at performance, all I need to do is make sure it is a nine speed SRAM chain, and it comes with a power link, right?

Thanks for the help everyone.

·
Gimme my MOJO!
174 Posts
Dudes, whats wrong with sticking one of those powerlinks onto a Shimano chain? I'm doing it now with my cn-7701 shimano, and I'm one happy camper...

So far, the shimano cn-7701 is the MOST corrosion resistant chain I have ever used. So far I have used
1) shimano hg-7something, that rusted after soaking it in petrol. Instant rust! Most bizzare thing I've ever seen.
2) shimano hg93. That showed spots of rust after thourough cleaning with citrus degreaser and leaving it to dry overnight.
3) sram pc-99 hollowpin. That lasted for a while, until I noticed rust spots after a particularly muddy ride.
4) finally, the cn-7701, thats been through mud, degreaser, sand you name it, and still shiny as the first day I got it.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
The CN7701 is Zinc plated which means it won't rust. When you use your citrus degreaser
do you give the chain a good rinse in hot water or alcohol when it's clean? If not, lube won't stick to it.
leleklegrunt said:
Dudes, whats wrong with sticking one of those powerlinks onto a Shimano chain? I'm doing it now with my cn-7701 shimano, and I'm one happy camper...

So far, the shimano cn-7701 is the MOST corrosion resistant chain I have ever used. So far I have used
1) shimano hg-7something, that rusted after soaking it in petrol. Instant rust! Most bizzare thing I've ever seen.
2) shimano hg93. That showed spots of rust after thourough cleaning with citrus degreaser and leaving it to dry overnight.
3) sram pc-99 hollowpin. That lasted for a while, until I noticed rust spots after a particularly muddy ride.
4) finally, the cn-7701, thats been through mud, degreaser, sand you name it, and still shiny as the first day I got it.

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
the shimano 770x chain is really nice. Put a powerlink on it and you are good to go.

The shimano way is weak, and gets weaker everytime you break the chain with the tool, even with using a new pin. Also, with the shimano way, make darn sure you pay attention to which end of the link you need to break and put the pin on. using the wrong end will lead to a very quick broken chain on the trail. Look in the directions, or do a search here.
Of course i found this out the hard way.

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
leleklegrunt said:
Yeah, it's the strongest and best chain I've ever used, and I've used nearly all of em. I won't ever buy anything else (for at least a long time). Sram chains are weaker, when I want top performance, or I want to recommend the best performing chain, the CN7701 is what I recommend. It helps that it $20 cheaper than a PC99 hollow at the same weight.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.