Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a new SRAM 9 chain today and it shifts perfectly but when the chain moves between cogs on the rear, it's noising...somewhat of a "clanking" noise. It's installed correctly so it may be an adjustment. Any suggestions? Went the one link or one inch over on chain length. Thanks

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
All you did was install a new chain? What was the old chain? Can't believe a different brand or model would make a significant change in noise...otoh if you run an x-9 drivetrain, I think they sound clanky.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
GT Force 3.0 that came w/ a Shimano chain (pin type). I put the SRAM with Powerlink on it...it doesnt skip at all, just sounds louder when it runs up or down the rear cogs. It may be fine...just thought I'd ask before I caused problems. Thanks though...

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
CATrails said:
GT Force 3.0 that came w/ a Shimano chain (pin type). I put the SRAM with Powerlink on it...it doesnt skip at all, just sounds louder when it runs up or down the rear cogs. It may be fine...just thought I'd ask before I caused problems. Thanks though...
Well, both chains are held together by pins :rolleyes: I know what you mean, as SRAM offers their version of the quick link for chain connecting, rather than Shimano's recommendation for their replacement pins. Although once sized, you can use a quick link even on a Shimano chain.

You might want to check out what our (i.e. mtbr guy) mtbiker72 has to say in his article "Why SRAM chain suck" here http://mtnbiker72.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2009-09-11T17:22:00-07:00&max-results=7

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
Give it a few rides to break in - that's probably the major noise difference. Also once a chain loosens up and packs some dust it holds oil longer and stays quiet longer too.

Lube your chain every ride and wipe off excess.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
While I don't like or recommend SRAM 9 speed chains (thanks for the shout out though Bikinfool)...I would probably look at how worn the cassette is. The sound you hear may be the chain setting into the teeth after each shift under power. If the teeth are worn so that there is a bigger gap than the spacing on the new chain, the chain will tend to "float" on the teeth until you put force on it. A cassette doesn't have to be excessively worn to do this, and the chain will "break in" as derby puts it. Though it does tend to shorten the life of the chain.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.