Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I’m currently working on a bike that runs a 3x7, with the rear cassette being 28-11t. Was planning to take it to 11-34 (I understand the “clunkiness” that might come but that’s not the point of this post), and was wondering if I’d have to get a new chain? The current one is under 2 months old and would prefer not to replace, thanks!

·
Registered
329 Posts
You could try fitting it without the new chain and very gently put into largest cassette cog, largest chainring and see how the derailleur looks. Gotta make sure it's not overly tight else you might be replacing a derailleur as well as chain...

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
You will likely need a longer chain, either 2 or 4 links. Take 1/2 the diff between the large cogs and you get 3 (half because the chain only goes 1/2 way around the cogs). Three links would give you the same relative length as you're using now, but you can't do an odd number of links.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.