Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on a 2 x 9 drivetrain.

My chain was close to the .75 mark on the park chain wear tool, so I changed the chain. Chain then started skipping so I replaced the cassette.

On my first ride after changing the cassette things worked perfectly.

Now, on my second ride, I got some change skipping/slippage again sometimes when I really start to apply pressure.

I'm confused about why this would only have started on the second ride. The conditions during the second ride were wettish and during the first they were dry--could that be the difference?

Is there any possible culprit besides the chain rings? Is there anything else I should try before changing the chain rings?

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I'm on a 2 x 9 drivetrain.

My chain was close to the .75 mark on the park chain wear tool, so I changed the chain. Chain then started skipping so I replaced the cassette.

On my first ride after changing the cassette things worked perfectly.

Now, on my second ride, I got some change skipping/slippage again sometimes when I really start to apply pressure.

I'm confused about why this would only have started on the second ride. The conditions during the second ride were wettish and during the first they were dry--could that be the difference?

Is there any possible culprit besides the chain rings? Is there anything else I should try before changing the chain rings?
How is it slipping?

Chain spinning around one cog on the cassette at a time?

Is it jumping gears, like you are riding along in forth then it tries to shift to 5th but doens't quite and ends up back in 4th? I don't mean "are you shifting" I mean is the chain jumping gears and back.

Is the skipping occurring at the chain rings, not the cassette?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It feels like it is slipping at the cassette, but I'm honestly not 100% sure. I know what chainsuck caused by front chainrings is like, and this is not that.

I do not think the chain is phantom shifting, but again I'm not 100% sure.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
If you get the same issue regardless of which front ring you're in it might be time to look at your freewheel. Could need some service, pawls could be worn out, might just be dirty & need some fresh grease.

I have experienced chain slipping on the front chain ring before when they are very worn out & a new chain is installed though. Although this would most likely only affect one from chain ring, not both hence why I'm guessing it might be a pawl issue.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,801 Posts
When you ride with a stretched chain, first to go is the cassette, if you stretch it too far, the chainrings go too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.