Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
36,702 Posts
I bet the manufacturer rushed the paint job and didn't take the time to prep the frame properly, given the current situation in the marketplace.
I thought of this but also they make have placed the sticker on before the paint cured properly.

Reactions: Alksion

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
In my experience, GooGone has worked great on all my bikes to remove sticker residue. Only once have I needed to use something more aggressive such as acetone or automotive adhesive remover, I only recommend those as a last resort. Afterward, clean the area with isopropyl alcohol. For touch up, I often use Testors paint pens or the little Testors paint bottles with the integrated cap brush...you can get both at RC car or model stores, also some crafts stores. I have also used automotive touch up paint as it's sometimes easier to find in the specific color I need and auto parts stores are everywhere. Nail polish works in a pinch too. Sharpie touch ups don't last very long and get discolored over time.

Hopefully Transition helps you out and learns from their mistake. I bet the manufacturer rushed the paint job and didn't take the time to prep the frame properly, given the current situation in the marketplace.
Thanks for the advice on the brushes. I am going to get one since they will be sending me a touch up kit with the exact frame color!

·
chasing simplicity
1,268 Posts
Your frame looks like it has a matte finish, so another option is 3M 1080 matte black automotive vinyl wrap, which is removable and you can get it on Amazon for about $20 for a 1x5 ft roll. I got a few mysterious top tube dings and just covered the whole top tube. Practically invisible.

Once you get the touch up paint and if you want it perfect, I’d go to a local auto paint place and see if they could fill and paint that spot for you with a small spray in the booth. I know carbon repair places can do it easily too.

Depends how much it bugs you. It’s one thing to get marked from rides, quite another to get a brand new pristine bike and have something like this happen. Sucks.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Your frame looks like it has a matte finish, so another option is 3M 1080 matte black automotive vinyl wrap, which is removable and you can get it on Amazon for about $20 for a 1x5 ft roll. I got a few mysterious top tube dings and just covered the whole top tube. Practically invisible.

Once you get the touch up paint and if you want it perfect, I’d go to a local auto paint place and see if they could fill and paint that spot for you with a small spray in the booth. I know carbon repair places can do it easily too.

Depends how much it bugs you. It’s one thing to get marked from rides, quite another to get a brand new pristine bike and have something like this happen. Sucks.
Hey that's a good idea. I will look into it after I get the paint kit. Yeah I agree, plus it's in an area that does not get chipped very often. I will still ride it hard, but hope to get it cleaned up here soon!

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
36,702 Posts
Hey that's a good idea. I will look into it after I get the paint kit. Yeah I agree, plus it's in an area that does not get chipped very often. I will still ride it hard, but hope to get it cleaned up here soon!
I think you missed post #39. Just an FYI those companies make kits in flat or gloss.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Screw the guy who said 'suck it up and move on'. Why don't we make HIM pay for a thousands--of--dollars bike and then see how HE truly feels after WE chip some pain ---on the TOP tube no less--- and see how HE fucking likes it. Idiot. I would tell the bike shop that you either want your money back IMMEDIATELY, or, that you want them to fix it and PAY for the fix. If this were a used and beat bike it would be a different story. This is NOT acceptable. YOUR hard--earned--$$$ is just that : HARD to earn. If a bike company decides to place this very annoying 'danger' sticker on your NEW bike, no less ON THE TOP TUBE of all places, alas, with something akin to GORILLA epoxy glue..then THEY are the ones to blame. And blame them YOU SHOULD. Otherwise, you are a FOOL. Do--not--bend--over for this. DO--NOT 'suck it up'. Unless you are a passive, compliant, do-nothing moron....and even then, MUSTER UP the gumption to stand up for your HARD---EARNED---$$$. A mountain bike is not only a 'ride', it is supposed to be something akin to one's 'pride AND joy'.

·
Registered
168 Posts
And by the way : As for those asshats who here are suggesting that ALL of us here end up scratching the **** out of our rides, well, I have news for you : I ride not only hard, but long and hard, and NONE of my bikes look anything less than brand new, still, after multiple years of use. The only areas that ARE scratched on my bike, are in area's that simply do not see... Having a bike that looks like it is beat to **** is not something to take pride in, unless you are an ass. Not one of my bikes costs less than 8 grand, and I'd be an idiot to actually 'feel good' about my bike(s) looking like ****. So, again, I say GET THIS TAKEN CARE of and MAKE--THEM--FOOT--THE--BILL. ..I see each one of my bikes as a work of art, as it is 'Me' who has built each one part by part. I take great pride in keeping my **** looking GREAT, and others notice as well, and, to boot, come time for resale, it PAYS to be a person who CARES. People who don't care are people who are either lazy, foolish, stupid, or all of these at once.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
And by the way : As for those asshats who here are suggesting that ALL of us here end up scratching the ** out of our rides, well, I have news for you : I ride not only hard, but long and hard, and NONE of my bikes look anything less than brand new, still, after multiple years of use. The only areas that ARE scratched on my bike, are in area's that simply do not see... Having a bike that looks like it is beat to ** is not something to take pride in, unless you are an ass. Not one of my bikes costs less than 8 grand, and I'd be an idiot to actually 'feel good' about my bike(s) looking like *. So, again, I say GET THIS TAKEN CARE of and MAKE--THEM--FOOT--THE--BILL. ..I see each one of my bikes as a work of art, as it is 'Me' who has built each one part by part. I take great pride in keeping my * looking GREAT, and others notice as well, and, to boot, come time for resale, it PAYS to be a person who CARES. People who don't care are people who are either lazy, foolish, stupid, or all of these at once.
Yeah it’s all good. Can’t be too pissed because it happens but at the same time doesn’t make sense not to do anything at all.

I’ll get that paint, semi-clean it up and then get the 3M wrap or whatever that was suggested earlier. Issue solved :)

·
Murica Man
Do it for Dale (#3)
429 Posts
And by the way : As for those asshats who here are suggesting that ALL of us here end up scratching the **** out of our rides, well, I have news for you : I ride not only hard, but long and hard, and NONE of my bikes look anything less than brand new, still, after multiple years of use.
you must either be a pro or not ride very hard if you never crash.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts