Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
it would bother me but I would probably just put some invisiframe on the bike, and knowing it is a transition I would expect questionable paint as both of my scout's paint had issues.

·
Evolutionsverlierer
1,199 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
That sucks, I would take a sharpie and most likely then forget about it in a day or saw.

Also its scratched now and the next ones will not hurt that much and after awhile it will be covered in scratches anyway.
Yeah you’re absolutely right :) going riding after work today anyways! I at least brought it up to them so hopefully they can correct adhesive issue in the future so no one else has to experience this.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
it would bother me but I would probably just put some invisiframe on the bike, and knowing it is a transition I would expect questionable paint as both of my scout's paint had issues.
Interesting about transition bikes and paint issues. Hopefully they see this and work on improving that’s all we can do as individuals and as companies. Strive to get better

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
And while you at it sticker bomb the whole bike.😜
Haha! Yeah the nail polish or sharpie is probably the best bet. I’ll wait to hear from transition but more than likely that’s the route I’ll go.

either way I love the bike very happy with it. Such a different geometry than what I’m used to but I really like it.

·
CEO Product Failure
1,560 Posts
Alksion-you should pursue a new frame and frame over at the cost of the manufacturer and LBS. FWIW, my wife's 4 yr old SC TB had its clear coat blister. No biggie to her (or me). I contacted SC for clear coat or nail polish recommendations. Without any further explanation--other than a few cell phone photos--SC decided to warranty the frame at no cost.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Alksion-you should pursue a new frame and frame over at the cost of the manufacturer and LBS. FWIW, my wife's 4 yr old SC TB had its clear coat blister. No biggie to her (or me). I contacted SC for clear coat or nail polish recommendations. Without any further explanation--other than a few cell phone photos--SC decided to warranty the frame at no cost.
I totally hear you. If transition wants to go that route I’ll consider it. I just know the bikes are pretty much nonexistent right now but if they let me ride it until a new frame becomes available I would be interested in that. I know the bike is going to get chips but the paint that came off is in a spot that is not a typical chipped area. I submitted a warranty claim yesterday so let’s see what they say. I will definitely report back here!

·
Registered
641 Posts
I think it's reasonable to be upset. I also agree that it's insane that any company at this point is using a sticker that doesn't easily peel off in one piece, other than in cases where the sticker isn't intended to be removed.

The good news is you got a Spur. I wanted a frame and gave up after months of trying. I was able to track down one or two Gx builds in my size within driving distance but even that was a chore. Ended up buying a different frame instead.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I think it's reasonable to be upset. I also agree that it's insane that any company at this point is using a sticker that doesn't easily peel off in one piece, other than in cases where the sticker isn't intended to be removed.

The good news is you got a Spur. I wanted a frame and gave up after months of trying. I was able to track down one or two Gx builds in my size within driving distance but even that was a chore. Ended up buying a different frame instead.
You have no idea. I got screwed out of multiple spurs. I was in the process of putting deposits down and they sold. I was actually trying to get the X01 but that sold out. I had to drive down to San Diego from north orange county California just to pick up the bike.

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,075 Posts
My Spur is coming in May, I'll soak that sticker in goo gone before trying to peel it off. Thanks for the heads-up!

You could install some frame protection with graphics on it to cover it up too... dyedbro, AMS and ground keeper make some nice ones.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I had something similar with one of my bikes. I had some protective tape on the frame and I was taking a piece off to replace it and very large piece of paint popped right off the frame. I even heated the tape up and was careful with it. 100% was a paint issue coming completely unbonded but there is no way to prove it and specialized basically told me to kick rocks. Brand new carbon fuse frame off warranty after the first one cracked having only owned it for 3 months at best.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
My Spur is coming in May, I'll soak that sticker in goo gone before trying to peel it off. Thanks for the heads-up!

You could install some frame protection with graphics on it to cover it up too... dyedbro, AMS and ground keeper make some nice ones.
Glad I can help. I was very cautious like with most of my things. Hopefully you have better luck :)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I had something similar with one of my bikes. I had some protective tape on the frame and I was taking a piece off to replace it and very large piece of paint popped right off the frame. I even heated the tape up and was careful with it. 100% was a paint issue coming completely unbonded but there is no way to prove it and specialized basically told me to kick rocks. Brand new carbon fuse frame off warranty after the first one cracked having only owned it for 3 months at best.
I am sure there's nothing they can do. I will probably just use a sharpie but as long as I did my diligence and they work on changing that adhesive material for other customers, then I will be satisfied.

·
Murica Man
Do it for Dale (#3)
429 Posts
don't throw out the sticker in case transition wants to know what the sticker is or something

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
36,702 Posts
I recently paid 6K for a bike and a few rides in I crashed and scratched the carbon bars. I took a black sharpie [as mentioned above] and filled in the scratches on the black bars. I now have a 6K. bike with very visible sharpie covered scratches on the bars. Lol

Sucks! At least mine was a battle wound I created. Yours, I’d be just as pissed as you are and would email those photos to Transition as stated above.

Reactions: Alksion

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
36,702 Posts
Oh, and after you touch that chip up do yourself a favor and purchase a frame wrap kit. Invisaframe or Ride Wraps makes kits that fit every square inch of your frame with thick clear 3m material.

·
Registered
29 Posts
In my experience, GooGone has worked great on all my bikes to remove sticker residue. Only once have I needed to use something more aggressive such as acetone or automotive adhesive remover, I only recommend those as a last resort. Afterward, clean the area with isopropyl alcohol. For touch up, I often use Testors paint pens or the little Testors paint bottles with the integrated cap brush...you can get both at RC car or model stores, also some crafts stores. I have also used automotive touch up paint as it's sometimes easier to find in the specific color I need and auto parts stores are everywhere. Nail polish works in a pinch too. Sharpie touch ups don't last very long and get discolored over time.

Hopefully Transition helps you out and learns from their mistake. I bet the manufacturer rushed the paint job and didn't take the time to prep the frame properly, given the current situation in the marketplace.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts