Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, I just bought a brand new transition Spur GX. I registered the bike the other day when I bought it.

I haven’t even taken it out on the dirt yet since I’ve been too busy and my mornings are at the gym before I hit the office.

I went to take it for a first spin this evening out on the pavement and wanted to take the sticker off the top of the frame before doing so.

It was extremely sticky and not coming off the top side, so I moved to the bottom and began to try to take it off from there. I was still having the same problem and as I slowly peeled it forward, it ripped off some paint on the frame, while leaving a ton of residue behind.

I could not believe they would put on a sticker with this type of adhesive. I understand it’s not the end of the world and I’ll probably end up chipping the bike in the next few weeks, but I did not want it to come from a sticker. Any advice on what you would do?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Appreciate the feedback. Just spent 6K and it felt nasty ripping the paint off a new bike. Duly noted my friend.
[/QUOTE
I feel for you but as I'm coming from getting 2 major chips in the paint of my then new Smuggler on the first ride without even crashing and letting it go with a sigh, you see what I mean.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Alksion - Sorry, stuff like that hurts. I have same question as JB Weld... What was the sticker? Was the sticker for the bike shop or Transition?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Alksion - Sorry, stuff like that hurts. I have same question as JB Weld... What was the sticker? Was the sticker for the bike shop or Transition?
It was a sticker from Transition with just some legal jargon about having the bike built and/or tested by a trusted technician. Definitely supposed to be removed after purchasing. And yes it sucks and I am willing to simply accept it, just wanted to see what others would do in my shoes.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would send Transition a photo and ask them "wtf?"
Okay that's what I will do. I will reach out to them with the photos and what I posted here. At the end of the day it doesn't affect my riding or the fun I will have, but if there's maybe a paint marker kit they could send? That would be nice.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Transition is famous for 2 things: Geometry and paint falling off. Every Transition has random chips in it.
Good to know! Love the bike from the brisk 10 mile ride on asphalt I did. Feels totally different from my previous rides. If this is just part of owning the bike, I can accept that, but a sticker? Lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Okay that's what I will do. I will reach out to them with the photos and what I posted here. At the end of the day it doesn't affect my riding or the fun I will have, but if there's maybe a paint marker kit they could send? That would be nice.
Yeah, just convey your enthusiasm and looking for possible advice, and offering some feedback.
Not sure what they can do, but maybe something, especially if you take a calm/sincere tone like you have here.

Good luck.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, just convey your enthusiasm and looking for possible advice, and offering some feedback.
Not sure what they can do, but maybe something, especially if you take a calm/sincere tone like you have here.

Good luck.
Yeah honestly I’m just lucky that I got the bike given the current shortage. But if I don’t do anything I will feel like I didn’t at least try. I’ll keep you guys posted and I just filed a claim.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Use GooGone, or similar, to remove the residue. It's not a bad idea to use something like this on the sticker first to ensure a cleaner removal. A heat gun, or hair dryer, helps also.
Thanks for the tip. I was planning to use GooGone just wanted to be sure it was safe on carbon. Yeah good points. I always prefer if a Manufacturer is going to use adhesive to use the type that peel off easy with no residue. Just a better experience :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
So many quality types stickers that can be removed without leaving a spec of residue. It’s a shame that some bike companies aren’t intelligent enough to think ahead to avoid issues like this that are inevitable when low quality useless tags come stuck to the bike.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So many quality types stickers that can be removed without leaving a spec of residue. It’s a shame that some bike companies aren’t intelligent enough to think ahead to avoid issues like this that are inevitable when low quality useless tags come stuck to the bike.
Yeah it would be something I would check for myself if I shipped products with adhesive on them, but I own a service Busienss, not a product business. It would be cool if there was just a touch up kit or something but I doubt it.

·
Evolutionsverlierer
1,199 Posts
That sucks, I would take a sharpie and most likely then forget about it in a day or saw.

Also its scratched now and the next ones will not hurt that much and after awhile it will be covered in scratches anyway.

Reactions: Alksion
1 - 20 of 65 Posts