Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
given the descussion a coulpe of weeks ago on camera carring packs.....

I just picked up a new pack so I can ride with my 10D. After looking around for something along these lines, and thinking hard about modifing a "real waterproof camera pack". I got a second high recomendation for this "little" jem (thanks Pete/ PJ). for those intrested it's a Deuter TransAlp30. (~1800 cu. in. storage, 3L fluid bladder, integrated rain fly) (great deal at altrac.com)

It easily holds all my bike gear (more than I should carry), plus I can fit my tamrac bag with the 10D, 17-40mm, 550EX ( Ed. Note: I need to learn to control this thing!), and extra bateries/stuff.

I took it out tonight for the first time. BUt got dark too quick for me to take many shots. The pack rides quite nice, and will be put to good use this weekend with 4 rides planed in New Hampshire, western Mass. and southern Maine.

Even as heavy as all the gear and pack were the straps and fit sinch things down so there is very little if any movement while riding.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
Nice pics! But a 10D plus 17-40L plus 550EX is a HUGE load to carry around with you while riding. I carry a digital rebel + 50mm f1.8. It's remarkably light.

Jess
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
322 Posts
SWEET PICTURES!!!!! I am a photo buff myslef but am afraid of crashing which is why I don't bring my nice digital camera on the trial. Will have to check out that camera bag though.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,227 Posts
tingj said:
Nice pics! But a 10D plus 17-40L plus 550EX is a HUGE load to carry around with you while riding.
HUGE is in the eye of the carrier, to butcher a saying.

That actually is a pretty light load, considering some of the other options.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
true.

it's so much better than what I was carrying. now to add a tripod to the mix.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
that's definatly a concern.

but if you want to take pictures of places that you can't just drive to, you learn your limits.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I take my f2.8 70-200mm with me too sometimes. =)

I also had my nipple light and a S45. It really wasn't prohibatively heavy. but I do need to boost up the rear shock a bit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
brianc said:
it's a Deuter TransAlp30. (~1800 cu. in. storage, 3L fluid bladder, integrated rain fly) (great deal at altrac.com)

It easily holds all my bike gear (more than I should carry), plus I can fit my tamrac bag with the 10D, 17-40mm, 550EX ( Ed. Note: I need to learn to control this thing!), and extra bateries/stuff.

Good stuff!

Have you tried carrying a tripod with said pack? I will be ordering a gitzo 1227 tripod soon and will need a more comfortable pack than my lowepro. Congrats on the new DSLR. Looking forward to more excellents pics from your camera.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
not yet but,

mugg said:
Have you tried carrying a tripod with said pack? I will be ordering a gitzo 1227 tripod soon and will need a more comfortable pack than my lowepro. Congrats on the new DSLR. Looking forward to more excellents pics from your camera.
but it has a sytem on the outside of the pack to attach a helmet too. I think I can use it to haul the tripod. If not the pack is more than deep enought to fit a tripod inside. but the width with all the other stuff could be an issue.
 

·
WAWE
Joined
·
1,432 Posts
brianc said:
I just picked up a new pack so I can ride with my 10D. After looking around for something along these lines, and thinking hard about modifing a "real waterproof camera pack". I got a second high recomendation for this "little" jem (thanks Pete/ PJ). for those intrested it's a Deuter TransAlp30. (~1800 cu. in. storage, 3L fluid bladder, integrated rain fly) (great deal at altrac.com)

It easily holds all my bike gear (more than I should carry), plus I can fit my tamrac bag with the 10D, 17-40mm, 550EX ( Ed. Note: I need to learn to control this thing!), and extra bateries/stuff.
Nice... does your setup include the battery grip for the 10D? I'm curious about the inside layout of the bag and how the gear fits... would you mind posting a pic of your gear and how it fits in the bag? (I'm assuming you have a smaller camera as well.)

Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a battery grip.

but i took it off so the camera body will fit in the with out having to take the lense off. it slides into the tamrac with the back on the bottom and the lense facing up.

I'll try and get you a pick of the inside of the pack, but it will be a few days before I can post it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
A bit heavy...

I used to bring my EOS 5 and a 20-70 2.8 L on most trips and the photos were stunning. Had a Tamrac chest harness (see enclosed photo from Moab) which worked well but it got very heavy. During casual rides it would be alright but during technical and demanding long rides it got very heavy. The EOS 5 is no lightweight and the 28-70 alone weighs around 3 lbs. Nowadays I bring a Powershot S50 digital which works extremly well and keeps the weight down.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Close.

These were from Harlod Parker SF in Andover. I have posted some pictures for Great Brook in the past.

HP is similar, but it's more techy (somewhat) and has more relative elevation change.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top