·
middle ring single track
4,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reactions: Axe

·
Coastal Rider
197 Posts
I think the Governor appointed Major General Anthony L. Jackson to make Cal State Parks more accountable. The military is set up with a chain of command. This is great for the big picture since all direction comes from the top. It also makes things hard for lower management since any changes must be sent up through the chain to the top. Any new facility like a trail or campground desired locally has to go through the chain and can be trashed anywhere along the way up. From my dealing with Cal Fire they will not even try unless pressure is applied by an elected official or a legal ruling that directs them to do so. We will see how this appointment works out but I think it will pay to have friends in high places!

·
mtb'er
4,186 Posts
Well, that didn't last very long :( Me thinks he figured out the system is so broken, he'd rather enjoy being retired than trying to fix what likely can't be fixed without massive changes, which are unlikely to happen anytime soon. Hopefully his replacement and the Parks Forward initiative will bring about major changes in how are parks are managed, operated and maintained.

Capitol Alert: Anthony Jackson to retire as California parks chief

Editorial: Jerry Brown needs to find an innovative and energetic parks director - Editorials - The Sacramento Bee

·
Old,slow,still havin fun.
1,061 Posts
Me thinks he figured out the system is so broken, he'd rather enjoy being retired than trying to fix what likely can't be fixed
Unfortunately I think that is the impression every outsider gets of working with Federal and state govt (and not just in CA).

·
middle ring single track
4,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh dear..

When a Marine goes into retreat it's not a good sign.

But stepping aside for some "young blood" might be an honorable thing...

In the last 18 months from my perspective as a volunteer nothing has changed. Nothing for the better but nothing for the worse.

Probably can't/won't because much of what drives the park's machine is based on laws passed long-ago.

("Laws" may not be the correct term but it all passed through the intestines of the state legislature) Those elected guys are who are to be blamed.

And who elected them...???

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
Or he was just taking a high paying job at the end of his career to jack his pension. I don't know what his CA service has been over the yrs, but pension spiking seems to be a "trick" some have used.

Well, that didn't last very long :( Me thinks he figured out the system is so broken, he'd rather enjoy being retired than trying to fix what likely can't be fixed without massive changes, which are unlikely to happen anytime soon. Hopefully his replacement and the Parks Forward initiative will bring about major changes in how are parks are managed, operated and maintained.

Capitol Alert: Anthony Jackson to retire as California parks chief

Editorial: Jerry Brown needs to find an innovative and energetic parks director - Editorials - The Sacramento Bee

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
This man was just placeholder who stepped into vacuum. He had no park experience but had administrative strengths as a military man. As such, he held things together and kept things fairly smooth.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts