Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Now with 3 more inches!
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couple of quick shots before I lost the light. Got it built, tuned the derailleurs, set the sag, and went for a quick blast around the neighbourhood. All I can say so far is WOW! I can't wait to get this thing dirty.

Oh, and pity the poor organ donor. It's given me 3 1/2 great years. May be resurrected one day with a rattle-can respray and an SS build.

Specs:

* Main purpose: Everything (haven't owned a car for 10 years).
* Trail terrain: Everywhere

* Frame Size: XL
* Frame Year: 2004
* Color (frame/rear triangle): Metrosexual Black
* Shock: 04 Float R
* Fork: 04 Marathon S
* Brakes: Avid BB7
* Brake Levers: Avid Speed Dial Ti
* Cranks: XT Hollowtech 1
* Shifters: Shimano LX Rapidfire
* Front Derailleur: Shimano XT M761
* Rear Derailleur: 02 XT
* Chain: SRAM PC 99
* Pedals: SDP 515 (Haro Platforms for farting round town)
* Stem: Thomson 130 x 5
* Handlebar: Answer ProTaper Carbon
* Seatpost: Thomson 27.2 x 410
* Saddle: WTB Rocket V Stealth
* Bottom Bracket: Shimano Octalink ES71
* Cassette: Shimano XT
* Headset: Chris King
* Grips: ODI Ruffian Lockon
* Front Tire: Kenda Blue Groove Stick-E 2.1
* Front Rim: DT Swiss 4.1D
* Front Hub/Skewer: Chris King ISO / Speedcific
* Front Spokes: DT SuperComp
* Rear Tire: Kenda Blue Groove Stick-E 2.1
* Rear Rim: DT Swiss 4.1D
* Rear Hub/Skewer: Chris King ISO / Speedcific
* Rear Spokes: DT SuperComp
* Seatpost Collar: Supplied
*** Build Weight: Don't know (I guess it's a couple of pounds more than my hardtail was, and a couple of pounds less than my wife's rockhopper)

* Future Changes: Hope QRs, maybe a shorter stem, Mono Minis and a fresh back tyre (but I think I've spent enough for one week).

Attachments

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
tigerdog said:
(but I think I've spent enough for one week).
...b...b...but your wheelset is just as expensive as my whole bike!!! :eek:

Congratulations!!! I know this frame did cost you a lot of sweat, blood, tears and toil.

Enjoy it!! I'll not be available next weekend for riding, but I'd like to see some Chiluca dust on it.

BTW.... why aren't you mentioning Push'ing your shock as a Future Change??? Is it going to be and Inmediate Change?? ;)

·
I've got a Stiffee
913 Posts
Sweet build, although it probably is a bit on the heavy side. My large Burner weighed in at 28lbs, changed out the cassette and pedals and it now weighs 27.5lbs. I'm very happy with it and the black is beautiful. I plan on dropping a little more weight with some lighter tires.....wanna try and get it around 27lbs even. Here is a pic of mine ;)

Attachments

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
congrats tiger! been a long time commin huh? yer build is solid and quite sweet. not a ton you can do without shellin out some serious coinage and droppin all the xt. i once had my burner down to 24.5 lbs but i cheated. that was back in the day of the avid 2.0 v brake.

·
1,316 Posts
Another Burner built up before me!

Tigerdog,
Nice job on the buildup, like what you did to your fork, looks sweet. Just a few more weeks and I can share too!

Have fun riding it, dont forget to post in the setups page if you have not already!

·
Now with 3 more inches!
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the comments guys.

To be honest I really don't care about the weight. My weight-weenie days are over. I want stuff that I know is going to work. This summer, I rode across the sierra madre del sur. Not a lot of bike shops up in those mountains. Had a couple of fairly big crashes and nothing broke. That's good enough for me.

All the parts that came from my stumpjumper were either stuff that lasted from the original spec (like rear derailleur and shifters) or upgrades because the original parts were crappy (like the cranks and BB), or for personal preference (like the saddle, answer bar and lock-ons).

I know the Marathon S is a boat anchor, but I really like it, should be even better after it's long overdue oil change this week.

Haven't tried the new SRAM stuff and I hear great things, but XT hasn't let me down.

As for the Push mod, yeah, that might be nice down the road. For now, I'm just liking having any suspension on the back. :)

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
tigerdog said:
I know the Marathon S is a boat anchor, but I really like it, should be even better after it's long overdue oil change this week.
Let me know when will you be available... I want to "make surgery" on that one.

It's early week... maybe thursday night so neither of us make appointments?

I'm buying some rubber gloves today...... :cool:

·
Now with 3 more inches!
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Marathon XC?

rroeder said:
Looks good, very similiar to my build too, I like the added stiffness of the Marathon fork and don't mind the weight either.
You've got the 05 XC, right? Have you ridden the 04 S? If so how does it compare. I really like the look of the 06 Marathon XC - super stealth.

It's funny, I was looking at yours in the setups thread to get an idea of what mine would look like.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.