Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
I've got a Stiffee
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldn't resist the clearance price on the Burner frame so I picked one up and scrounged up a bunch of spare parts I had (minus the brakes) and built the bike up. I finally was able to take it out on its first ride today and I was very impressed! I have never owned a short travel full suspension bike before like this and was worried about how it would handle some of the technical stuff. I am more of a fast technical aggressive trail rider compared to a xc'ish climber but this bike pleasantly surprised me. It pedals so well and you don't even feel the rear suspension under you half the time. It feels like a hardtail on the climbs but has just enough travel on the technical stuff to keep me comfortable. I did put on some XR rockers so I can't compare it between the stock rockers and the XR's but it feels great now. I put a Talas on it and I honestly wouldn't be happy with anything less, it just wouldn't be comfortable for me since I like laid back geometry bikes. I bought a large size frame instead of a medium like I have on all my other bikes and I'm glad I did, it fits beautifully with a 100mm stem. My one complaint is the weight, 28lbs on the nose. I had my Yeti 575 built to 27.3 at one point, granted it was with lighter tires but even though the Burner is heavier it still climbs much better than the 575 ever did at that weight (it now weighs close to 30lbs).

Anyway I'm very happy with feel of the bike both on the ups and the downs. I'll post my build spec list and I want your opinions on where I should concentrate on lightening the bike up at. I know most obviously some lighter tires should be first, however I don't want skinny tires that compromise traction so much that it makes the bike handle too sketchy. I've been thinking about starting to enter some races so perhaps I'll buy some race only wheels with some light tires for racing days??? I'm open to suggestions. Now for the specs and pics:

* Frame Size: Large
* Frame Year: '04
* Color (frame/rear triangle): Black/black
* Shock:Fox RL w/XR 4" rocker arms
* Fork: Push'd Talas
* Brakes: Hope Mono Minis 160mm
* Cranks: Truvative Stylo Team
* Shifters: XT
* Front Derailleur: XT
* Rear Derailleur: XTR
* Chain: SRAM hollow pin
* Pedals: older Time carbon
* Stem: 100mm Thomson
* Handlebar: Answer protaper carbon
* Seatpost: Thomson
* Saddle: WTB Rocket
* Bottom Bracket: Truvativ Gigapipe
* Cassette: 11-32 XT
* Headset: King
* Grips: Oury lock on
* Front Tire: 2.35 Nevegal
* Front Rim: Mavic 317
* Front Hub/Skewer: King/Salsa
* Rear Tire: Maxxis Larsen 2.0
* Rear Rim: 317
* Rear Hub/Skewer: King/Salsa
* Seatpost Collar Salsa
*** Build Weight: 28.0lbs

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
Very nice build and in my opinion not worth changing anything without compromisng function.-Maybe the cranks could be lighter by going to hollowtech? - Im not sure though on that one.

Like you say, switching to light tires for a race is the only mod you'd need to do, and maybe youd save a bit more by going to stans/american classic/tubeless wheels, but those 317s/King setup are pretty light allredy.

·
I've got a Stiffee
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MWWH said:
Very nice build and in my opinion not worth changing anything without compromisng function.-Maybe the cranks could be lighter by going to hollowtech? - Im not sure though on that one.

Like you say, switching to light tires for a race is the only mod you'd need to do, and maybe youd save a bit more by going to stans/american classic/tubeless wheels, but those 317s/King setup are pretty light allredy.
The Truvativ Stylo Team cranks are pretty light, I could save some weight with the new outboard bearing style cranks but it wouldn't be enough to justify the cost. I forgot to mention also that I have Stan's in both tires already also.

Jerk Chicken, thanks for thinking of me on the rockers. I think I got one of the last sets, I think he said he had 3 left when I bought mine. I'm glad I got them though, the bike really feels good and I'm used to 6" trail bikes.

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
No problem, brother.

I do think the Flux is better in nearly every way, by far, although I'm taking jumps easier on it than on the Burner. The Flux is built for a purpose and I'd like to enjoy the frame for a long time.

The Burner is more fluid in rear end feel and that was a plus from the subjective feel. It's a burly 4" xc bike, which is hard to find. I was always afraid to damage the frame because that combo of heavy duty and efficient XC geo and travel is rare.

·
I've got a Stiffee
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jerk_Chicken said:
No problem, brother.

I do think the Flux is better in nearly every way, by far, although I'm taking jumps easier on it than on the Burner. The Flux is built for a purpose and I'd like to enjoy the frame for a long time.

The Burner is more fluid in rear end feel and that was a plus from the subjective feel. It's a burly 4" xc bike, which is hard to find. I was always afraid to damage the frame because that combo of heavy duty and efficient XC geo and travel is rare.
Just curious, you say the Flux is better by far in nearly every way. Can you elaborate a bit more on that. I know it is like half a pound lighter, but other than that I'm not sure what the major differences are between the two frames. Either way I'm not an agro xc racer, just wanted a light short travel bike that climbed well and I could use to do the occasional race with and I couldn't pass up the price of the Burner. At nearly a $1k price difference that is a lot compared to a new Flux. Obviously you've owned both so I was just curious as to what the main differences are between the two. I'm very happy with my Burner so far, suits my needs very well and I don't feel like I have to baby it (I'm a fairly light guy anyway at 160lbs) on any small drops. I'd just like to hear your perspective since you've owned both, thanks ;)

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
FXRob said:
Just curious, you say the Flux is better by far in nearly every way. Can you elaborate a bit more on that. I know it is like half a pound lighter, but other than that I'm not sure what the major differences are between the two frames. Either way I'm not an agro xc racer, just wanted a light short travel bike that climbed well and I could use to do the occasional race with and I couldn't pass up the price of the Burner. At nearly a $1k price difference that is a lot compared to a new Flux. Obviously you've owned both so I was just curious as to what the main differences are between the two. I'm very happy with my Burner so far, suits my needs very well and I don't feel like I have to baby it (I'm a fairly light guy anyway at 160lbs) on any small drops. I'd just like to hear your perspective since you've owned both, thanks ;)
I will be making a post soon of a review I did a few weeks ago. It's pretty comprehensive, according to my riding. Keep an eye out.

·
Alaska Turner Mafia
1,120 Posts
Hey Rob, I'd imagine that the longer XR rockers will raise the BB height some, accompanied by some steepening of the head tube angle. You mentioned that you prefer slacked out fronts, so what length travel have you settled on with your TALAS? Just curious how much difference the rockers make other than just a travel increase.

Any other XR/Burner riders out there care to comment? Thanks

Rando

·
Registered
384 Posts
Hey Endo,

The geomotry doesn't change at all with the XR's. The only difference you will notice aside from the extra travel is that you may bash your pedals more in the rock gardens a bit more (hope your not riding egg beaters). This is only because of the extra .4 in of travel (it occurs on comression, of course). You will also need to add some air to your shock (or give an extra turn of preload on your spring) to make up for the increased leverage ratio. You may also need to lengthen you shifter and rear brake cables if you don't have enough slack.

The only way you would change the geometry is if you would change the I2I of the shock. Adding the rockers ohly rotates the seat stays counterclockwise around the rear wheel.

Bob

·
I've got a Stiffee
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
EndoRando said:
Hey Rob, I'd imagine that the longer XR rockers will raise the BB height some, accompanied by some steepening of the head tube angle. You mentioned that you prefer slacked out fronts, so what length travel have you settled on with your TALAS? Just curious how much difference the rockers make other than just a travel increase.

Any other XR/Burner riders out there care to comment? Thanks

Rando
Yes they do raise the bb height, but I don't know by how much and how much the head angle steepens either. I'm sure somebody on this forum has measured the stuff, but I was waiting for brakes and swapped the rockers before I ever rode the bike. I did sit on it before and after and didn't notice a huge difference as far as the head angle goes, but you could definately feel the extra travel....it felt much more bottomless.

On my ride today I just kept my Talas at full travel, even on the steepest climbs. Maybe its just me being used to slack head angles but it feels very comfortable for me, just perfect. I didn't even think of cranking the travel down on the fork today, and I might would only do it on a VERY steep climb. Otherwise it feels plenty aggressive on the downhill and I felt like I could attack the trail just about as aggressively as I usually do on my other bikes (just a bit slower). Just for reference my stem is a 100mm x 15 degree and am using the Answer pro taper carbon riser bar. I guess it would be too upright for most peoples preference on a bike of this sort, but for me it felt very natural. I get neck pains when I'm too far hunched over the bars also. I was impressed with how the bike pedals and how snappy it feels even at 28lbs.

·
I've got a Stiffee
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
WV_XCE said:
Hey Endo,

The geomotry doesn't change at all with the XR's. The only difference you will notice aside from the extra travel is that you may bash your pedals more in the rock gardens a bit more (hope your not riding egg beaters). This is only because of the extra .4 in of travel (it occurs on comression, of course). You will also need to add some air to your shock (or give an extra turn of preload on your spring) to make up for the increased leverage ratio. You may also need to lengthen you shifter and rear brake cables if you don't have enough slack.

The only way you would change the geometry is if you would change the I2I of the shock. Adding the rockers ohly rotates the seat stays counterclockwise around the rear wheel.

Bob
I stand corrected then, I thought for sure the bottom bracket would have raised up a tad with the XR's. I felt like I had plenty of ground clearance though. I'm running 125psi in my Fox RL and I weigh 160lbs w/o gear. It felt pretty good at that psi, didn't feel the need to go any higher or lower.

·
Alaska Turner Mafia
1,120 Posts
Thanks for the answer Rob. How about WV XCE or DLine, I know you guys have been running the XR rockers, did you go for more than 100mm fork travel too?

Rando

·
I've got a Stiffee
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
JTBAZ said:
You had some really nice spare parts lying around - nice build. Enjoy the ride.
That will happen when you have as many bikes as I have :p But thanks, I'm really happy with the bike so far. Can't wait to get some more time on the bike, that long weekend was so nice and now its back to the shop again :rolleyes:

·
Now with 3 more inches!
1,463 Posts
Wow, you seem to have some nice parts just lying around in your garage!

A few questions:

Did yours come with the Fox Float?
I bought mine on Friday, with the float. I'll start building it once it's been smuggled across the border.

Is the Thomson post a very tight fit? It seems really snug on my frame.

Where did you get the XR rockers? Pauls? Are there any left?

Matt

·
I've got a Stiffee
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
tigerdog said:
Wow, you seem to have some nice parts just lying around in your garage!

A few questions:

Did yours come with the Fox Float?
I bought mine on Friday, with the float. I'll start building it once it's been smuggled across the border.

Is the Thomson post a very tight fit? It seems really snug on my frame.

Where did you get the XR rockers? Pauls? Are there any left?

Matt
Yes mine came with the Fox Float RL shock. I chose it over the Swinger just because I trust Fox more than Manitou. Yes the Thomson post is a tight fit, which is a good thing.

I got the XR rockers directly from Paul's, not sure if there are any left....e-mail or call them. I bought mine about 3 weeks ago or so and they only had a couple left.

·
I've got a Stiffee
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
rroeder said:
Very nice Burner! I sure love mine, beefy XC frame that fits me perfect with Turner support all at an amazing price, what else could you want???
rroeder, didn't know you had a Burner also. Seems we have similar taste in bikes :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.