Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone clear this up for me asap.

SC's site says the new Bullit has a Shock length of 8.5" x 2.5" (216x 63mm),

Which has lead me to order aDHX specific, RCS Ti Spring of 2.5 x 450 -w/1.38 ID for it.

The Bullit arrived today but the standard DHX spring has 450 x 2.8 stamped on it and the actual dimensions of the shock are I2I of 215mm with a spring lenght of approx 136mm.

The bottom line question is, have I ordered the correct length RCS coil spring for the DHX?

·
Registered
471 Posts
So long as the spring has the correct internal diameter, fits between the collar and the preload nut and has enough compression length, it will work. Your RCS sounds fine. Fox usually stick 2.8 springs on 2.5 shocks, they fit 2.75 shocks too. It all works, its all good :)

·
Registered
455 Posts
Al's right, Fox mark their springs with how much movement there is before it becomes coil-bound, and not the actual stroke of the shock. I have a 2.8 spring on my 2.5" stroke DHX.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Ok, so i think it works more like this;
It takes 450lb of pressure to press the spring in 2.8", thus 450x2.8
Therefore only takes 440lb of pressure to press it 2.5"
Just to throw a spanner in the works.

·
Registered
471 Posts
CHUNKY NUGGET said:
Ok, so i think it works more like this;
It takes 450lb of pressure to press the spring in 2.8", thus 450x2.8
Therefore only takes 440lb of pressure to press it 2.5"
Just to throw a spanner in the works.
Err, no. Its 450lbs of pressure to move it one inch. The 2.8 is just the stroke of the shock.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.