Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well man when i went to buy my nomad, i was going to buy a bullit again. I guess if you are not wanting to climb too much you'll be good. From what i understand is a better big hit bike than the old bullit, what is it like 7inches travel now

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Yeah, I hope you dont plan to be efficient up hill.

It got to the point where at the smaller and intermediate parks, I just take my SS and leave the former bullit sitting at home so much that I end up selling it.

Can it go uphill? Yes. There is a local Junior Pro racer who can ride our wall climb faster than most people on a bullit. But then again, most of us are not Pro racers.

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
There's probably no bike that can't be used across "intended use" lines, but long travel, high forward, simple, single pivot bikes are not the best trail bikes. Useable, yes? Efficient linkage bikes like VPP, Maestro, DW, etc. are the better choices for longer travel "and" efficient pedaling. The new Bullit is even further toward the DH/FR end of the spectrum than the old one. Nothing wrong with this, but one should be aware that it ain't the old Bullit. I'm a little unclear on what the OP meant by "heavy riding". To me that usually means more radical, "big move" stuff closer to true FR...something the newer Bullit is created for...but maybe the OP meant longer and further trail riding?

The new Bullit is not at the extreme level of being a heavy framed DH/FR bike like a Demo 9 or such, but long travel like the Bullit's 7" coupled with its high forward pivot design make for a much less efficient pedaler if AM and trail are a serious concern.

·
Bikes 'N' Beer
7 Posts
I have an 08 bullit with a dhx air and totem air fork. for trailriding i ride mountainking tires 2.4s (they are extremely light) my bike weighs 33 lbs. I also only have a 32t chainring (no front derailler) in the front with an lg1 (without the taco bashguard which voids the warranty). It climbs just as nice as my former trailbike gt i drive which was 31lbs and had a granny gear. the fox propedal works nice for climbing on the bullit. for riding at the bike park (diablo) I put maxxis 2.5s, lower the seat, add flat pedals and the bike rides nice. It's a little heavier but it's actually more quicker than my DH bike with the dual crown. The bullit can be quite the DH racer (similar to the DH racer specialized demo that was spec'd in MBAction in previous issues) It's all in what you prefer. I actually like the single pivot suspension. Tomac, turner and several other successful bike companies are still making their top downhill rigs single pivot. It's simple. As for climbing...I'm not trying to beat anyone up the hill just down. It is a good all round bike....

·
Registered
185 Posts
I also went from a gt i drive (loved the bike) to the Bullit and I feel it climbs just as well if not better due to how the bullit is built and sits. I also have my at about 33lbs. I dont think you can say the bullit is an fr or dh bike only. If you look at the geo on the bullit and yeti 575 (one of the best xc bikes avaliable) they are almost the same. I think only off by .5 degree or so. So that would mean the weight is why people still dont think it could climb or be an all day bike. 33lbs not that heavy.You could get it down to 30 or under by via lighter wheel set and140mm fox 32 series. I switched out the heavy 2.5 kendas to a lighter 2.3 tire and lost 4lbs. I could switch out the 180mm domain for a fox 32 series talus and loose 2 more lbs. I dont think the bullit is getting the respect it deserves. I have done 14 mile trips and spent 6 hrs on it without a problem. Ok I was tiard but that is a long day.
The bullit has it all, the geometry of an xc bike, the travel of a freeride bike and not too heavy. Check any other companys 7in bike. Not even close to 33lbs. All are around 40lbs or more. I know others on this site know way more about bikes than I do but the bullit is a perfect all around bike. The little extra weight is an easy trade off for the travel and stability when coming down with no worry is worth it. IMOP Thanks

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
Now just a minute, there.

geinsteder said:
I also went from a gt i drive (loved the bike) to the Bullit and I feel it climbs just as well if not better due to how the bullit is built and sits. I also have my at about 33lbs. I dont think you can say the bullit is an fr or dh bike only. If you look at the geo on the bullit and yeti 575 (one of the best xc bikes avaliable) they are almost the same. I think only off by .5 degree or so. So that would mean the weight is why people still dont think it could climb or be an all day bike. 33lbs not that heavy.You could get it down to 30 or under by via lighter wheel set and140mm fox 32 series. I switched out the heavy 2.5 kendas to a lighter 2.3 tire and lost 4lbs. I could switch out the 180mm domain for a fox 32 series talus and loose 2 more lbs. I dont think the bullit is getting the respect it deserves. I have done 14 mile trips and spent 6 hrs on it without a problem. Ok I was tiard but that is a long day.
The bullit has it all, the geometry of an xc bike, the travel of a freeride bike and not too heavy. Check any other companys 7in bike. Not even close to 33lbs. All are around 40lbs or more. I know others on this site know way more about bikes than I do but the bullit is a perfect all around bike. The little extra weight is an easy trade off for the travel and stability when coming down with no worry is worth it. IMOP Thanks
The Bullit has the geometry of an XC bike?!!! Let's not get carried away.:D

·
Registered
220 Posts
I xc my 03 bullit thats pretty much all I ride with it, due to a couple of knee surgeries that keep me grounded. It has a Z1 sport and DHX air. I know it isn't the best for uphills but I keep up with my Nomad friends.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Unless you're trying to find something approximating a do-it-all bike that could also be used for FR/DH, I'm not sure why anyone would get a Bullit for AM or XC (no offense, folks). You're much better off with the Blur or Heckler. I have a Bullit, but use it for FR/DH. It's a pig on the climbs compared to my Heckler.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I have a VPfree and an '03 (previous gen) Heckler. The Free feels like a more effective climber, far more solid at the pedal. Of course, it's built at around 34 pounds while the Heckler is probably 32. Even so, the Free feels quicker on the trail. I would expect the Nomad to be better than the Free as a trail bike and thus the best of the three.

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
Anything is do-able.

birmy said:
I xc my 03 bullit thats pretty much all I ride with it, due to a couple of knee surgeries that keep me grounded. It has a Z1 sport and DHX air. I know it isn't the best for uphills but I keep up with my Nomad friends.
birmy, there was an old man who drove a John Deere lawn tractor halfway across the U.S. too...but it probably wasn't the best tool for job.:D I see many Bullit owners getting somewhat defensive, and there's really no need. No one is dissin' the quality of either the new or old Bullit. The original post was asking if anyone used the new Bullit for trail riding, and even though it wasn't overtly stated, there's another question within that original question. That question being, "how's that working out?" I don't think anyone has stated that the new Bullit can't be used as an all-around trail bike if built up and set up properly. But because of the design and suspension style on that Bullit, the OP and others need to know the weaknesses as well as the strengths for trail riding. The OP did say "trail riding". To spell out the disadvantages of any bike as well as its advantages is not a bad thing for those thinking about buying one. Conversely anyone buying a VPP bike needs to know that they're going to have to pull the pivot axles and antiseize them if they want to be assured of reliable performance. When some company turns out the perfect bike with no warts or issues and can be used for everything from XC racing to World Cup DH...please...let me know.:D

·
Registered
220 Posts
TNC said:
birmy, there was an old man who drove a John Deere lawn tractor halfway across the U.S. too...but it probably wasn't the best tool for job.:D I see many Bullit owners getting somewhat defensive, and there's really no need. No one is dissin' the quality of either the new or old Bullit. The original post was asking if anyone used the new Bullit for trail riding, and even though it wasn't overtly stated, there's another question within that original question. That question being, "how's that working out?" I don't think anyone has stated that the new Bullit can't be used as an all-around trail bike if built up and set up properly. But because of the design and suspension style on that Bullit, the OP and others need to know the weaknesses as well as the strengths for trail riding. The OP did say "trail riding". To spell out the disadvantages of any bike as well as its advantages is not a bad thing for those thinking about buying one. Conversely anyone buying a VPP bike needs to know that they're going to have to pull the pivot axles and antiseize them if they want to be assured of reliable performance. When some company turns out the perfect bike with no warts or issues and can be used for everything from XC racing to World Cup DH...please...let me know.:D
Woops didnt mean to come across as a disgruntled Bullit owner. ;)

Best bet try to find a demo and take to the trail.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
I have go back to my original reply.

There is a young guy at our local riding community who was on the Santa Cruz Junior Syndicate team. He is not a very successful semi-pro/pro rider.

On our local wall ride (Super steep uphill), he rode the bulllit up it faster than most people on their bikes.

To rephase the question a little for those that love climbing a bullit (including me a year ago), if you had a choice for a uphill training ride, will you take your Chameleon/BLT/Superlight/Blur XC or will you take your bullit?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Well...

I'm having fun riding my old Bullit for most everything. My ability to ride freeride/jump stuff has gone way up, as has the fun factor, and the calorie burn.

So for me, it sucks to climb, compared to my Blur, but, since I have a better fitness level than most of the people I ride with, Huffing this up the hill keeps me riding with them, but I still get a great work out. Don't laugh, but that is also the reason I take it on road rides with my wife. I would be bored, and get almost no workout on my roady or Blur.

It is fun on technical climbs too. As the fitness goes up, I can make this thing climb things I couldn't last year on my Blur.

So, it depends on you, and what you want out of riding. If you normally ride with people that are faster than you, you will hate yourself, or get more fit.

Besides, now, when I jump back on the Blur, it feels like it has it's own motor. Fun Fun.

·
Bullit MaDnEsS
16 Posts
I love the way the Bullit climbs, I didn' expected that a 7" bike could climb so well...but for sure a Heckler or a Blur will climb better and with less effort.
The point is if you need a 7" bike or not: if you need it the Bullit can climb better than others (but worst than a VPP IMHO), if you don't need it you're just carrying useless weight uphill...

·
Mountain Lion Bait
876 Posts
I've ridden my Bullit2 many times at Downieville, but its just not cut out for flats or long climbs. It can be done, but my nomad works so much better for that kind of riding. My Bullit2 does shine at N* though. I love it for descents and bike parks. Get a nonad if you want to have something that descends well, but climbs well too.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Okay, so I know I am late to this conversation, but I would add my two cents anyway.

Alot of people are saying that the Bullit is not a very efficient trailbike and the OP should get a Nomad instead. I have been going back and forth with Nomad/Bullit debate for a while and one factor nobody has mentioned is the price difference. I like to build my own bikes so I would want to buy a frame only and build it up. If you figure the build kit is the same regardless of the frame you buy, you are still talking about an $800 price difference. Just for the frame. That is a big consideration for alot of people, including my wife :D

If price not an obstacle, get both!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.