Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
40 oz to freedom
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so my BMX bike is trashed. I bailed 360ing off of a 4 stair and a car ran my bike over :( Looking back on it, having a sidewalk as a landing wasn't a great idea :lol:

So I'm building a completely new bike. Here is what I have been thinking so far:

Frame: Transition ToP either white or blue
Fork: Manitou Gold Label
Stem: Odyssey Elementary Stem
Bars: AtomLab MTB Race Bars
Grips: Animal Edwin's
Cranks: Either Profile cranks or Wombolts
Sprocket: Tree Bike Co
Pedals: Odyssey Jim C's or Animal Hamilton's
Rims: AtomLab Pimp Lights, might try and get a hold of some of those Viz Trials rims
Nipples: Atomlab Torx Nipples
Hubs: No idea, wont be running a front brake so any suggestions? I want something loud
Tires: Panaracer Fire XC Pros, I'll explain these in a bit
Brakes: Shimano Saint Rear
Levers: I need something Saint compatable
Rotors: Hayes V-Cut
Seat Post: Something cheap, its going to be cut so I can run my seat fully slammed
Seat Post Clamp: Something cheap
Seat: Shadow Conspiracy Slim seat

And I think thats all. I want a light build and I think this will stay pretty light. Sub 34 pounds (I know its a long shot)

So for my tires, I am going to run the Fire XC's because they are light as hell (at 540g) and they are also pretty damn tough. I don't think I should have a problem.

For my hubs, I want something LOUD but I want to stay decently light. I also don't want to be spending Chris Bling amounts of money either.

As far as breaks go, I want something nice and powerful. The Saints are very strong, which I want. I will need a lever for it though. Any suggestions?

Any other suggestions, things I should consider changing?

·
40 oz to freedom
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The ex721's will be strong enough? I want something that will hold up to f-ed up 180s and such.

Single speed all the way dude!

Aggie he was very apologetic but in all honesty it was my fault. I was being dumb and I am lucky I didn't get hit. Some cash would have been nice though :lol:

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
sounds like a sweet line-up...

I'd avoid the trials rims (unless more than 3/4 of your riding is trials), the width is WAAAY too wide, wider than a DH rim, and this will give your tires a sh!tty square profile.

and instead of fireXC's (too knobby) get some Kenda Smallblock 8's! but you'll still have to be watching to keep the PSI's high... or even check out the Schwalbe Tabletops, pretty light for a dj tire.

for the saint caliper, just go with an XT lever...

and while you are ordering from TBC, why don't you see if they could give you a small package deal with their kinlin SS wheel set-up?? looks like a super solid deal, esp. if it comes in at a nice price with the frame. but... the atomlabs would bring the heat!

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
boyfromthelak said:
my planent x is 32 pounds and its fairly over built. it should be around 29 when i get some new pedals,my new fork, and sprocket. so i also believe 34 pound is easily obtainable
I forgot what model PX you have, but isn't it aluminum? the TBC ToP is fairly heavy, at like 6.5lb+ I think last I knew... but still, no, I don't think with that posted line-up and wormburner XC tires it'll be hard at all to get near the 30lb mark....

·
Registered
646 Posts
yeah my x is aluminum(hammerhead) its exactly 2 pounds lighter then the ToP frame. im also running a bmx stem and bars on my bike with profile cranks and tanks of pedals. thats why i posted my bikes weight i knew my frame is lighter but my components are a little over the top weight wise. but you agreed with me so i guess i didn't need to write this all out.

·
40 oz to freedom
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, so Trials rims are a no go. I'll take a look at the Kenda's. I never considered them before.

I will probably end up running an AtomLab Pimp Light laced to a TBC rear hub, and a Pimp Light laced to an Aircorp, or TBC front. It all depends on how much money I have to throw around.

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
Vinny A said:
Ok, so Trials rims are a no go. I'll take a look at the Kenda's. I never considered them before.

I will probably end up running an AtomLab Pimp Light laced to a TBC rear hub, and a Pimp Light laced to an Aircorp, or TBC front. It all depends on how much money I have to throw around.
yeah, I might throw a set of the smallblock 8's on my Rail this season and give'em a whirl...

but, the TBC revolution complete wheelset is like $280... for the set! very nice.

for the Atomlab factory (Pimp and Pimplite are like $15 dif. or something), and assuming you pay near retail (which most of us do unfortunetly), you'd pay like $175 for the front ALONE, and Another $270 for the rear on top!! big dif... not like ck or I9 expensive, but still pretty pricey when you're just building up a street/dj rig... you can check ebay, I KNOW there is a set of Pimp complete SS wheels on there right now for like $20, but still has like 6 days left, I know it's going to blow up and no longer be a deal by the time it ends, but you can still check. ;)

·
Renegade of Krunk
604 Posts
Sounds like it is going to be a nice bike!

Vinny A said:
T
Aggie he was very apologetic but in all honesty it was my fault. I was being dumb and I am lucky I didn't get hit. Some cash would have been nice though :lol:
You should be glad I didn't run your bike over in my car. You'd be paying me for the damages done to the car :lol: I would suggest not using a sidewalk by a busy street as a landing unless you have someone telling you when the coast is clear ;)

·
40 oz to freedom
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
:lol:

Yeah, I am glad he was nice about it. I'm also really glad he hit my bike and not me.

·
I post too much.
6,445 Posts
Vinny A said:

Not worth it to put a high priced front hub on an urban bike. Mine is a crappy rebranded formula and it rolls just as nice as my friends aircorp. Mine's worth 30 bucks CDN, his is worth 120.

Get the TBC Hub, or go the el cheapo way and buy the marzocchi hub.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
sick build idea. i believe the ToP frame comes out to 6.3lbs? you can definitely get it to be under 34lbs. i have a few suggestions but its personal preference really. i would go with a bb7 mech. brake instead of a hydro, because you want the bike to be simple and reliable. you can make most if not all of the adjustments on the bb7 with no tools and in very little time no matter where you are. these brakes are also super powerful. just my preference. also with the tires, i have ridden those tires and a friend of mine still does sometimes and i wouldn't trust them for real abuse. they are also super knobby. maybe some k-rads or small block 8's? just my two cents

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
it seems logical to me that a 24" frame would suit you better if you were a primarily BMX rider. Also, you'd probably be able to cut the weight down 30 pounds ( less overall weight for wheelset and frame)

or, you have some primarily 26" pieces around and want to save money by using them, in which case my 24" idea is stupid.

·
40 oz to freedom
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was debating the 24" option but I decided against it. I could probably run a 24" wheelset if I changed my mind. But I already run 26" on my XC and FR bike so I'm used to it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.