Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new steel hardtail frame on the way soon and have a Hope 30 BSA BB going with it, but need a crank. I am not sure I want to pony up for the Hope Evo crank, plus its not even clear if it will work with my SRAM eagle drivetrain. The chainring spec on their website sites Shimano 12 Speed capability but not SRAM.

There is an adapter to go from DUB to Hope 30 BB but not sure I like the idea of the plastic shims, but maybe I'm just being stubborn. It's also hard to find that adapter right now. Thought about Raceface but I hear Cinch is a PIA and also not crazy about the plastic preloader, but again, maybe I should just get over it.

Any ideas on 30mm cranks?

Thanks!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Thought about Raceface but I hear Cinch is a PIA and also not crazy about the plastic preloader, but again, maybe I should just get over it.
Anyone who thinks RF Cinch is a PITA is not someone you want to get bike advice from. Been running Next SLs and Atlas for years with zero issues. Changing rings take a few minutes tops, and never have issues with anything coming loose or making noises. And you can beat the hall out of Atlas for years without ever worrying about them failing. I also have over 8k miles on my Next Sls with zero issues in spite of numerous crashes, rock strikes, etc...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay, so RaceFace clearly deserves a look. Thoughts on Atlas vs Turbine? Atlas is heavier but does that weight pay off in stiffness to make it the go to. On a steel hardtail I am thinking weight isn't going to matter as much % wise, but again its already heavy so getting a little back can't hurt, lol

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well the turbines in 170 were pretty out of stock, I found the Atlas at Wiggle for $158 so I pulled the trigger on those. I am coming from 175 and have been wanting to try something shorter. 165 was out of stock but I also think that may have been too big a jump.

Thanks for all the feedback!

·
Registered
891 Posts
Edit: Didn't make it to the end to see you bought cranks, but my opinion is there for the next person

If you want cheap and durable RF Turbine. Cinch is the shi! and the preloader is easy to use.

I also have e13 XCX and TRS trail carbon cranks right now. No issues and light.

You can also try to find some older 30mm SRAM cranks.

I also had no issues with the RF Next cranks but lots of people have had issues with the bonding of the pedal insert coming undone.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Well the turbines in 170 were pretty out of stock, I found the Atlas at Wiggle for $158 so I pulled the trigger on those. I am coming from 175 and have been wanting to try something shorter. 165 was out of stock but I also think that may have been too big a jump.

Thanks for all the feedback!
I was a bit worried about the 10mm difference in crank length but I don't notice it at all.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.