Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dean build, just completed today. Weigh's in at 24 lbs. I'm 5'7", 130 lbs.

Frame: Ionic (Dean) Steelhead
Front Fork: Manitou Skareb Elite (80 mm)
SRAM X9 Kit
Crankset: Race Face Deus
Brakes: Avid Single Digit 7
Brake Levers: Avid Speed Dial 7
Headsest: FSA Orbit XL-II
Seatpost and Stem: Thompson Elite
Wheels: Mavic Crossmax Enduro
Handlebar: Titec Hellbent
Saddle: WTB Rocket V
Tires: Panaracer XC Pro (front); Panaracer TrailBlaster (back)
Pedals: Tioga Surefoot MXPRO Platform

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Steel!! She is sweet. Just took her out for the inaugural spin.

The tubing is True Temper OX Platinum.

I ordered the frame on September 14, 2004 and was told that it would take between 4 - 5 weeks, which meant I should have had the frame between Oct. 12 - Oct. 19. The frame actually arrived on November 17. I was told the hold-up was due to "paint".

Honestly, I don't have a problem with the delay (except for the fact that I broke my foot on Nov. 9 and had surgery on Nov. 19 .... so the frame sat and mocked me all winter :)

The quality is EXCELLENT. There is one caveat however. The bike was supposed to accept a 27.2mm seatpost. Rather than start to route out the frame (as Dean suggested to my LBS), we tried a 27 mm seatpost and it fit perfectly (zero give). No biggie, but the boys at Dean held firm that it will accept a 27.2 mm, rather than admit they may have made an error.

Would I order from Dean again? ABSOLUTELY. The frame really is spectacular, and I couldn't be happier with it.

Susan

·
Registered
73 Posts
Very nice indeed! I used to have a DEAN Colonel ti a few years ago. Actually broke my collar bone on that frame. Amazingly the frame took the beating without a single scratch and I took all the damage. :D Sweet ride and thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
Beautiful bike - but must ask, why so many headset spacers? do you like your bars slightly higher than your saddle, hence the large number of spacers?

Just curious as I'm always intrigued by people's set up preferences.

Thanks!

Mark

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mark -- good eye!
Yes, I know it's strange but I do like my handlebars slightly higher than my saddle. Go figure. For me it's just a more comfortable ride although I'm certain there are a multitude of reasons why I shouldn't have it set up this way.

Susan

MMcG said:
Beautiful bike - but must ask, why so many headset spacers? do you like your bars slightly higher than your saddle, hence the large number of spacers?

Just curious as I'm always intrigued by people's set up preferences.

Thanks!

Mark

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.