Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finished building last night, and had a few laps on the trails today (Yep, I was sick...cough... cough...)

Still to early to tell the whole story, but it felt really good. There are still some issues to work out, but all in all I am pleased with the outcome. The wife has started calling it the "Tractor" :D after reading RC's 29r's On the bubble in MBA. Heres the build up.

29r IF with EBB
RS Reba w/ poplock
Easton monkey bars, Thompson cockpit, Hope mono mini's w/ 2 piece rotors
DuraAce Ti cassette 12/25T, DuraAce derailluer, XTR cable and housing, Paul's thumby
Raceface Deus 180mm arms with 34T Salsa ring, Speedgoat / Dangerboy bash guard

The wheels are Bontrager Mustang OSB's laced with Wheelsmith 14/15 spokes to Hadley hubs. The rear hub uses a 12mm thru axle. These are wrapped with tubed, wire beaded Nano's. (green stripe)

It is a bit heavy at 27 lbs. but there is room to tweak. I usually ride light SS, but have always needed more gear to stay with the gang on the route to the trail or on those fast flat sections. I think the 1 x 9 will be just the ticket.

I did have a question for you Reba users...The fork "chuffs" really loudly when it travels. I am a 200 lbs'r, and have it set at 140 psi pos / 130 psi neg, with 75% rebound cranked in. Is this a break in issue or will it continue? The fork feels fine, and gets quiet if you back off off on the rebound, none of my other RS forks do this? :confused: Thanks

Attachments

·
dirty hippy mountainbiker
1,146 Posts
My 29er is a little on the heavy end too. Doesn't slow me down. It's more bike to LOVE!!

Looks good. Are those floating rotors on the hopes?

·
Trail rider and racer
4,691 Posts
Very lovely looking 29er! I love the paint job and more importantly the spec is spot on perfect.

I love your spec list, I suppose of you wanted to save a little bit of weight you might do so with some carbon bars, a lighter stem, saddle and alike but honestly as is it must be a pleasure to ride!

Trevor!

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Awesome color...

It's a great lookin rig! Curious how the DA drivetrain will hold up - been considering it as well - would like to switch over to a 1x9 on the next geared bike

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hope rotors

wolfy said:
My 29er is a little on the heavy end too. Doesn't slow me down. It's more bike to LOVE!!

Looks good. Are those floating rotors on the hopes?
Hey Wolfy, Na the rotors don't float, but they are advertised to be 25 grams lighter per wheel. They were originally spec'd for my wifes little pink Racer X build, but she liked the throw on the Juicy 7's better...so I got these. We'll have to see how they break in.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
On the trails

mojo2396 said:
Sweet bike! Great build spec.

Maybe I will see you on the trails...
Thanks,
I've heard tales from the LBS about your Retrotec. If you see me on the trails give me a shout I would love to talk. I'm sure I'll be on this for a while, but I also ride a flag looking Sofa King SS.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Very Sweet indeed

Alta825 said:
H-bars definitely were the crowning touch. This bike has made me stop riding the dually RX 29er on all but the roughest/steepest rides.
I love that paint work and panels. Did the fork come with the frame? I called for one to match when I started to think about the build, and about fell out of my chair when I heard the quote. So I opted to try the squishy fork first. My previous 29r was a rigid KM, and I really liked the way it rode / climbed. I'll be saving my change!

How fast do you adapt to the Jones? I have Nitto Mustache bars on my touring bike, and it was the best thing I could have done for hand positions on long rides.

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
I ordered the frame/fork together last spring from IF. Not cheap but man is it a smooth riding fork. Combine it w/ the Jones bars and i really don't want a shock, and, this is coming from someone who lives/rides in the Rockies/Wasatch - not too smooth.

On the H-bars the adjustment period was over afterthe first 100yards of singletrack - it is just so natural. So much that I had to order up another set for my other bike, it just felt too weird after riding the Jones'. I use the IF for day-day riding along w/ edurance races - the bar will be a blessing for the extra hand positions. Go for it!

cheers

D

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
Tex. Beauty of a bike. I'm surprised it is that heavy, as the build seems to be lighter. is it the wheels/tires?

Hey, on your 1x9 setup, any issues with the chain coming off the front? I ran the same setup, but no bashring, and the chain preferred to be off and always to the outside. I put a ft der on for now until i can resolve. I love the clean look of your crankset setup.

All the 29er posts are likely to make my wallet thin...i can feel it already

·
(was) Big in Japan
1,008 Posts
Alta825 said:
It's a great lookin rig! Curious how the DA drivetrain will hold up - been considering it as well - would like to switch over to a 1x9 on the next geared bike
DA drivetrain will be FINE. Actually probably more than fine. It's often the choice for DHers. I think that's enough of an endorsement for me.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Tex Mannz said:
I did have a question for you Reba users...The fork "chuffs" really loudly when it travels. I am a 200 lbs'r, and have it set at 140 psi pos / 130 psi neg, with 75% rebound cranked in. Is this a break in issue or will it continue? The fork feels fine, and gets quiet if you back off off on the rebound, none of my other RS forks do this? :confused: Thanks
I had 3 or 4 rides on a GF Rig and I can give you my experiences although if there is break in, I didn't have it long enough to find out:) The fork did make some noise but it didn't seem out of the ordinary to me. I only really noticed it on the road or smooth sections. In technical or rocky sections, I didn't at all. Unless I was on really rough stuff I left it pretty much locked out or close to it (much like your 75%). I weigh about the same and the specs called for 145/145. That didn't work for me at all. I ended up with 160+ and 90-. This was coming off a Surly rigid though so I guess any fork would feel kinda mushy. I have a feeling it will quiet down after more use. I thought is was a great fork overall.

kenyon.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Sweet Ride

My wifes trying to talk me into buying an IF 29er for myself as a retirement present. Did you go with the EBB? How long did it take to get the frame?
Seeing that bad boy gives me new bike lust Baaadddd!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
H-bars...

oh yeah, I got a set of H-bars and put them on the monkey.

give me a shout if you want to give them a spin.

took me 20 minutes to get them set up to a comfortable angle and have been loving them since. great hand position for climing, lifting the front end and bunny hops.

-richard

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No chain issues

rensho said:
Tex. Beauty of a bike. I'm surprised it is that heavy, as the build seems to be lighter. is it the wheels/tires?

Hey, on your 1x9 setup, any issues with the chain coming off the front? I ran the same setup, but no bashring, and the chain preferred to be off and always to the outside. I put a ft der on for now until i can resolve. I love the clean look of your crankset setup.

All the 29er posts are likely to make my wallet thin...i can feel it already
Just yet...I had a chance to take it out this evening on a fairly rooty trail and the bike totally rolls over it all. I did have the chain drop to the inside once, but for the most part it is rock solid. I have mailed Nick at Ngear about a Jump stop, and he is sending me one to try. That should keep it in line.

I'm pretty much a dedicated SS'er, but the 1 x 9 gave me several options for gearing...I still ride SS style, run one gear, stand to crank up the hills, stay on the gear etc. but it sure is nice to be able to stay with the group on the run to the trailhead. :D

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The bike was karma

Potential Roadkill said:
My wifes trying to talk me into buying an IF 29er for myself as a retirement present. Did you go with the EBB? How long did it take to get the frame?
Seeing that bad boy gives me new bike lust Baaadddd!!
Go for it, I don't think you will disappointed. I really was going to wait awhile before getting another 29. I had started building the ultimate (for me) wheel set, and had a frame picked out, but decided to sit on the fence for a while to see what else would come out after Sea Otter.

Anyway another member (NCJ01 I think ) posted a link to a couple of frames on E-bay, I looked at the frame and fell in lust...the rest in history. So, yes it was near new, had an EBB, and all around looked like somthing I could keep and love for the long term...or until a 29 dualie lights a spark!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.