Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finished the build this afternoon (had to tidy up a few loose ends). Here it is guys. Build list to follow if anyone's interested. I could easily get it down to 18.5 if I could only find some bearings that would fit the BB shell and the 30mm axle of my THM Clavicula cranks, and swapped out a few more items .

Attachments

·
Gravity Tester
549 Posts
That's a shame about the cranks. It would chafe me not being able to run a $1200 1.5 lb crankset if I had it laying around. The bike looks really purposeful with the Lefty. Very interesting components throughout. Just looking at that saddle make my butt sore. :)

18.5 lbs is light for a hardtail, it's downright amazing for a full susp.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wannabeRacer said:
Ever thought about having a normal fork, instead of a lefty type?
I went from a Reba to this Lefty just a little over a year ago. I love the Lefty. The extra travel has saved my bacon a couple times (I had the Reba set up for 80mm to match the geometry of my Giant NRS). I also love the fact that the front wheel simply goes where I point it. There is absolutely no flex in that front end. It's also really light. Shock is 1,250g and the custom made carbon/aluminum steerer adapter is 125g. I toyed with the idea of elling it and getting one of the new 100mm MRD R7 TPC forks, but from all reports, they're not as light as Manitou claims, and I'm a weight weenie at heart.

I'm desperatly trying to find a solution to the Clavicula situation. So far it looks like the only way it's going to happen is if I open up the aluminum insert from 41mm to 42mm. I know someone that could do it for me, but I'd be without the frame for 2 weeks minimum, and I know the waranty would probably be void. As it is, I'm about to make up a custom seat clamp assembly which will probably void the waranty if I ever have a failure in the seat mast area.

·
Registered
7,282 Posts
BlownCivic said:
I. I could easily get it down to 18.5 if I could only find some bearings that would fit the BB shell and the 30mm axle of my THM Clavicula cranks, and swapped out a few more items .
Have you called Chris from Enduro to see if he has any bearings or bearing inserts that may work for you?

Nice build by the way. Lighter than my lightest SS. Let us know how she holds up.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Seat is 27 5/8" from center of crank spindle to top of center of seat (centerline of seat mast).

Frame is a medium

Chainrings are Extralite Octaramp 44 and 30

I did "alter" the seat clamp blocks to fit the SpeedNeedle. It was pretty easy with a Dremel and sanding drum. I was actually surprised how easily the aluminum sanded.

Tires are Continental SpeedKing Supersonic 2.3 on the front and Race King Supersonic 2.2 on the rear. They are not tubeless per se, but running the Stan's No Tubes sealant on No Tubes rims.

Yes, the FD is a Campy Record Ti Compact braze on with the Parlee clamp. The clamp was actually cut down slightly as it was originally mounted on my Anthem Advanced, and because of the pivot points on the Giant, I needed extra room to slide the clamp as high as possible. Don't know for sure what the pull ratio would be on the Campy, but as you mentioned, since the shifter is a Sram twist shifter, and I'm only running 2 front chainrings, it doesn't really matter to me. At first I had the 3 rings from the XTR crankset on the bike, and just riding around before the bike was really finished, I could easily shift between the 22 and the 32, and they both seemed to line up pretty well with the numbers on the shifter, but the FD didn't have enough throw to pull the chain up onto the 44t. Now that the 44 is mounted where the 32 used to be, its no problem really. I also made a small 1.8mm carbon spacer to move the crank assembly slightly further out on the drive side. Seems to work really well.

I'll call Chris at Enduro right away. I really want to use the Clavs.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I think I covered it all...

2008(?) ASR-Carbon Medium frame w/RP23 shock 2160g (4 1/4 lbs? More like 4 3/4 lbs)
Shimano crank bearings/bearing holders/plastic spacers/plastic center cover (included in frame above)
2007 Lefty Speed Carbon SL shock 1250g
Custom made CF/Al 1 1/8 to Lefty steerer adapter 125g
XTR M975 disc brake levers and calipers (tuned)
Scrub Components 160mm front rotor (56g)
Hope Mono Mini Pro 140mm rear rotor (58g)
Syntace F99 Ti bolt 120mm stem
Schmolke SL 560mm flat bar (97g)
KCNC BE1 bar ends (48g)
ESI race silicone grips
Sram twist X0 shifters w/al. clamp bolts
Alligator I link shifter housings
PowerCordz shifter cables
Crank Brothers Cobalt SL headset (65g)
Tune Gum Gum headset starnut with carbon cap and al bolt
5mm plastic steerer spacer
XTR M970 175mm crank arms (335g)
Extralite Octaramp 44 and 30t chainrings (2x9) (86g)
Aluminum chainring bolts/spacers, etc...
EggBeaters 2Ti with Ti short axles (173g)
Campagnolo Record Ti Compact braze on FD
Parlee 34.9 carbon FD adapter/clamp
KMC X10SL Gold chain 106 links (228g)
'08 Sram X0 medium cage RD with carbon pulleys and carbon inner cage plate (173g)
Nino Ti 11-34 SL cassette (178g)
Tune SpeedNeedle Alcantra seat (85g)
Tuned (mildly) Yeti ASR-C seat clamp assembly (195g - ouch! I`m gonna fix this one)
No Tubes ZTR Race 7000 Lefty front wheel including Lefty axle bolt and extraction cap (570g)
DT190 rear hub/DT tuned centerlock to IS disc adapter/DT Revolution 2.0-1.7-2.0 spokes/al nipples/ZTR Olympic rear rim 32hole (722g)
Yellow tape and Olympic valve stems in both front and rear wheels
Tune Skyline rear MTB bolt on skewer (13g)
Continental SpeedKing Supersonic 2.3 front tire (456g)
Continental RaceKing World Cup 2.2 rear tire (480g)
No Tubes sealant in both tires (3-4 ounces)

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The hood on that Civic Wagovan is painted with chalkboard paint. I bought the car that way. Eventually that'll be a 400hp supercharged, RWD autocross car. The fronts are 225/35-17 on 17x7.5 wheels, and the rears are 245/35-17 on 17x9s.

I will definitely be racing the bike. I've done one ride so far, and everything was perfect except for 3 things:

I think I was a little low on the shock pressure: 155psi seems to be a little low for my weight (180lbs). I'm going to try 165psi next time.

The spacers between the 44 and the 30t chainrings weren't thick enough. The chain was rubbing on the 44 shift ramps when on the 30t, and anything higher than the 6th cog in the back. I had 2.75mm spacers in there. I've now taken it up to 3.25mm and so far it looks good.

The hydraulic line to the rear brake and the rear derailleur cable bow out too far right beside the shock which rubs on my leg when the suspension compresses while riding. It's more of an anoyance than anything, but I'll have to address it.

I have no fear that this ride will be durable enough for my racing.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.