·
Killer of Chains
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Budget $590

Current cost (not including trades) $400
BikeIsland 4130 Unbranded (KHS) Multi + RST M29 + VP Component A51AN headset
- yes that's custom paint
- no I wouldn't have it done that way again (wanted to make friends with a local painter)

Current concerns/questions:

Stem length, 130mm with a small sweep of the bars, fits pretty good, but I hate the sluggish feeling of the steering. I loved shorter stems on previous bikes, even though they had roughly the same length top tube. How to gain back a short stem but not end up cramped? (I'm 6'0") I'm thinking of going with a 90mm stem (which i already own and flat bars with little/no sweep)

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
Zero stack will steepen the H.A. slightly , make it feel a little quicker steering . Without a star nut you wont be able to set preload , it will be sloppy until then .

·
Killer of Chains
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Need some help with fitment. Got an assistant to help in taking pictures of me as I rode aruond. New setup is with a 15º negative rise, 90mm stem and a riser bar. Seat post is at full extension.

How's it look? Cramped? Alright? Comments and Suggestions?

I need to ride more...my ass is getting big.

·
boba fett on a bike
405 Posts
I think your seatpost is up too high. It's hard to tell because you're wearing jeans, but from what I'm seeing it looks like you're too far extended. I'd play with a few different stems, but that's something that can always be changed later after you ride the bike more.

·
Killer of Chains
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Aside from saddle height, I was concerned that the 90mm stem was too short, and just wanting someone elses opinion if I looked cramped or stetched out. Reason being is that I've ridden bikes in the past where I felt comfortable but everyone else (fitting professionals included) thought I looked cramped.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I'm no expert in terms of fitting.....but I'll my thoughts here anyway... personally the thing I feel in love with about the 29er's was how for the first time I actually Felt as though I fit between the wheels instead of draped over the bike as I did with so many 26ers(and not ever realizing it and all the compromises it took to make it comfy)...I'm 6'2" and ride a XL Giant xtc HT and a large 429 both have the same 'fitting in' feel. The reason I though to explain this is when I look at the pics to me it looks like a guy who is on the wrong size bike...in other words too small..or not enough TT??? you have a fairly upright position which is fine, but I see much bias towards the rear of the bike(almost draped over)...it looks like it may make climbing interesting. But if you commited to this bike and size..I would suggest going to 110 or 115 stem with a low rise bar- which should elongate the TT and still get you into a riding position you can maintain evenly and consistantly..........anyway you wanted feedback(I think?) so thats my 2cents, take it for what it is...

·
Killer of Chains
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah unfortunately my budget limited me to more traditional sized frames, or else I would've gone with a XL GF Rig, as they have really long top tubes and shorter standover.

I bought this to last me until I am finished with school in May, then I'll have a job and be able to start thinking about frame to upgrade to.

I think I'll try a 110mm, with under 5º of rise, and maybe move the seat a little farther forward to center myself over the BB better.

·
Registered
660 Posts
PaintPeelinPbody said:
Aside from saddle height, I was concerned that the 90mm stem was too short, and just wanting someone elses opinion if I looked cramped or stetched out. Reason being is that I've ridden bikes in the past where I felt comfortable but everyone else (fitting professionals included) thought I looked cramped.
I think you should set the saddle height first and then post more pics because that is going to change the way you are positioned on the bike. It really looks way too high and probably affecting the comments on adjusting your position.

·
Killer of Chains
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's a 19" frame with a 24" TT, and I'm only 5'11" with a 33" inseam.

So by most people's standards the frame should fit me fine. Gary Fisher is one of the few companies out there that has geometry that is specifically designed around a shorter stem/long TT, but I didn't have more than $600 to spend on a complete bike.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.