Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time poster here, but I've been lurking for a while!!

After weeks of deliberation I've finally given my lbs the go ahead to build me a Bronson Carbon. I'm super excited, I've been riding for 2 years now mostly on a budget 29er. So this is a massive upgrade for me.

The lbs asked me what fork I wanted on it either the pike or the fox34 talas. I told them the pike as it was cheaper and I've heard nothing but good things about it. Have I made a mistake or was that the right choice.?

It's not to late for me to change!

·
Registered
409 Posts
best choice! I rode a bronson w/ a fox 34 recently back to back w/ my heckler/pike, and I couldn't get past how much better the pike is. I was just thinking of going to the bronson C frame, but the demo didn't do the trick w/ the fork so much better on the more basic bike..
go PIKE!
Holiday

·
Registered
796 Posts
Unless you are dead set on the adjustability feature of the Talas, then the clear internet winner would be the Pike. Mine is on order as we speak on my new ride, so I also had a decision between a standard 34 and the Pike. Went Pike all day.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Pike is supposedly better feeling overall - I haven't ridden one so I can't comment on that. I do, however, have a Fox 34 Talas on my Bronson C, and I'll say that having the adjustable travel is pretty damn useful if you do long, steep-ish climbs. The Bronson's geometry is perfect for downhill and fine for shorter climbs, but on longer climbs having the ability to steepen the head angle and drop the front end a bit is really nice. If I didn't have the adjustability then I might consider going to a 5010 C instead. But with the Talas, I feel like I get the best of both worlds. Worth factoring into your decision, anyway.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The Pike is better than the Fox 34 in every possible way. Also, just as a note, I heard that the travel adjust Pike does not have as good a "feel" as the non-travel adjust version (much like the Fox Talas vs the Float). I would only go with the Pike travel adjust if you are going to use it very frequently. I personally did not choose that version because that version is more expensive, noticeably heavier, doesn't have as good a "feel" and has more complicated internals.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
I haven't done an A-B comparison of the dual-position Pike on my Bronson with the solo air Pike. There are a lot of sustained grind climbs with steep pitches where I ride most often. I use the travel adjust to take the fork down to 130mm on all of those. I leave it wide open at 160mm on all the descents, even ones with little climb pitches mixed in.

It's taken me a few rides to dial the Pike in, fiddling first with the pressure then the rebound and finally the low speed compression, but it's feeling awesome now.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
another excellent choice that rivals the pike is x-fusion sweep and cost less.
Good suggestion here. I think the Pike is a little nicer than the X-Fusion (mine's a Trace for a 29er), but both are WAY nicer than the Fox.

I don't think you made the wrong choice by any means if those are your two options. But the Sweep is like $400 less than the Pike for similar performance.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Good suggestion here. I think the Pike is a little nicer than the X-Fusion (mine's a Trace for a 29er), but both are WAY nicer than the Fox.

I don't think you made the wrong choice by any means if those are your two options. But the Sweep is like $400 less than the Pike for similar performance.
I'm watching this because I'm still undecided on bike - thus undecided on fork. The more I shop the more I look at very expensive and modestly priced stuff.

This might interest anyone with an eye on Fox or RockShox alternatives. I became aware of the newer aftermarket or top tier SR Suntour because they have an office near me and I do trail work with some of their staff. Their stuff seems pretty good and what's said by their rep here interests me more.

http://forums.mtbr.com/27-5-650b/thought-i-had-decided-fork-but-im-not-so-sure-now-910041.html

A friend loves his new Pike and it's been on my short list. Now that I've tried $2500 - $6500 bikes I'm more interested in the moderately priced products. I'm finding seriously diminishing returns as the prices climb. It doesn't mean I won't get high end stuff, but it's delayed the purchase and changed the shopping.

:)

·
Registered
8,630 Posts
I test rode the Pike and it was really nice. But I have the 2014 Float 34 and I'm happy with it. I guess the Fox forks got a bad rep for some mistakes they made with the 2013 line, but I guess that's all fixed now.

·
Registered
291 Posts
You made a good choice. I stick with the Pike for sure! I was never a rockshox guy but the Pike has changed all that. I love it!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the responses. While the adjustable travel of the fox sounds nifty, I doubt I would use it very often. Ill be sticking with the Pike.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Another vote for the Pike.

My Burner came with the 2013 Fox Float 34, and I couldn't shake how harsh it felt. Ordered a Pike Solo Air, and it's been ridiculously plush for about a year now. I'm just waiting to see the Charger damper trickle to the other models.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts