Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just picked up my new bike that was built and to my horror I see this on the top tube...

They claim its "normal" and while another Bronson C in black had a little line in the middle of the top tube another one had nothing.

Anyone else have similar issue? My $2k Giant Trance had no defects on it and this bike was more than twice the cost of my giant.

Looks like its been crashed already :madman:
photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
It appears normal.
Likely nothing to worry about.
Seen many SC carbon frames that look like that.
There can be a lot of variation frame to frame.
My black Nomad C looked way "worse" out of the box.
Cosmetic "blem" at worst, but it never bothered me.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So am I overreacting by saying I want a new frame? They said they are emailing SC warranty but will take a few days to hear back from them.

·
Registered
205 Posts
My TB Ltc and black carbon Bronson looked exactly like that. Keep in mind it's a "raw" finish - no paint. The same thing is under the paint on the other frames...

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks everyone, starting to make me feel better. still bummed but oh well. as long as it doesnt hurt resale value..

·
Registered
164 Posts
Congrats on your new bike. Like a snowflake, it is unique.

What's really amazing is just how clean those frames come out of the molds, with so few cosmetic issues. Not everyone will sell you a raw frame, often because they use fillers and other tricks to give the appearance of uniformity.

Asking the shop to swap the frame because of that is unreasonable in my opinion. The fact that they were even willing to make an inquiry for you shows that you've got some good shop guys. You know what that means, don't you? Bring them beer!

·
Registered
505 Posts
That doesn't look like a defect to me.. Looks like the mold parting line and edge of the pre-preg wrap.
any modern carbon part is going to have this look when it comes out of the autoclave
Cool Bike :)

·
Registered
505 Posts
but then why doesnt the entire bike look like that? ive seen flawless carbon bikes.
those framesets and rims have a cosmetic layer added (usually woven carbon)
this serves no structural function and only adds to the weight
the reason that line is where it's at is because that is where the engineer designed the end of that wrap to be.
it wasn't by accident ;)

·
Registered
140 Posts
To my view not a structural problem but definitely a finishing issue. My 2012 Blur Ltc has no issues like this. In a high end bike (like in a high end car) you expect attention to detail.

·
Registered
372 Posts
To my view not a structural problem but definitely a finishing issue. My 2012 Blur Ltc has no issues like this. In a high end bike (like in a high end car) you expect attention to detail.
This is why most "raw" carbon frames have cosmetic wraps over them. Truly raw carbon finished complex shaped parts have anomalies. Embrace it dude.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts