Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
"hmmm, maybe i should stop & drop my saddle a bit... NAH! i've ridden down this before..."

actually the moral of this story is to obey your instincts-- i knew i was too tired to ride tonight, but went out anyway.
le$$on learned.
:smallviolin:

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
maybe i should stop & drop my saddle a bit

Sounds like a candidate for a gravity dropper...

·
Registered
751 Posts
so, i'm not real clear on what happened here. did the bar break and cause your crash, or did you crash and impact the bar on some rocks and cause the break? if it's the latter it would not be fair to blame the carbon fiber, as i've seen aluminum bars snap on rocks too...

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TrekFan said:
so, i'm not real clear on what happened here...
oh no, i'm not blaming the bar for the crash... that was due to my own (tired) sloppy riding. :p

who knows, perhaps the impact would've shattered an alloy bar too... ?!
all i know is i've been riding for 20 years and have never had an aluminum bar break. this carbon one was a few months old.

specious reasoning perhaps, but i'll stick to what has worked well for me in the past.

·
"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx
1,317 Posts
I've broken two

aluminum bars and one carbon bar the same way. So far, Carbon is still winning.............

YR

...my first and last carbon bar:

actually the moral of this story is to obey your instincts-- i knew i was too tired to ride tonight, but went out anyway.
le$$on learned.
:smallviolin:[/QUOTE]

·
silly person
629 Posts
My suspicion is, with an aluminium bar you'd probably kink or twist just the end. You could probably remove the bar ends and keep using it afterwards. I saw one on here earlier with a similar story but an aluminium bar.

·
Registered
223 Posts
If you read the directions that came with your carbon bars you'll likely find that bar ends are a no-no ... Mayhaps raceface could use your experience as a cogent argument for that recommendation.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i'm one of "those guys" who actually reads directions

Juliius said:
If you read the directions that came with your carbon bars you'll likely find that bar ends are a no-no.
while that may be true w/ some carbon bars, one of the selling points for this RF bar was the fact that it came w/ inserts in order to use bar ends.
in fact, the end of the bar is still intact inside the mount of my bar end. ;)

mopartodd said:
Well, at least you didn't get hurt.
i wish that were true... i just left that part of the story out. while it could've been much worse, my wrist feels like the end of my bar looks. :sad:

·
ride
5,274 Posts
Looks like a potentially fun chunk of trail - where were you riding? Glad you didn't break anything else on you or the bike!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I don't think I would blame that on the carbon. A lightweight alloy bar would have been comprimised as well, at least in my experience. My broken bar count is one snapped protaper (alloy), and one easton carbon straight bar. I weigh 145 and am a wimp on downhills. Keep that in mind big boys.

·
Perpetually single track
3,175 Posts
ignazjr said:
Looks like a potentially fun chunk of trail - where were you riding? Glad you didn't break anything else on you or the bike!
Matthew winters is my guess....

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ding ding

ibmkidIII said:
Matthew winters is my guess....
yep, dropping down the back side of matthews/winters towards red rocks...

funny, the other photo i posted somewhere 'round here of my bike uprooted & prone is also from this trail!
hmm... can you say bad trail mojo?

(i knew i shoulda stopped at chimney/apex instead)
:cool:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts