Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I bought some new AVID XO brakes to replace my old worn out Juicy 3's, from a guy online who was selling them as uninstalled takeoffs off a new bike he bought that came with them. They came with 203 and 180mm rotors, but not the spacers required to mount these bigger disks(my bike has 180/160 currently).

My question is, where should I look to find out which type of spacer I need for these bigger rotors, or whether they will even fit on my current bike? Should I even bother using these or just keep running my current rotors?

I am 170lbs, ride mostly singletrack trail and like the occasional hair raising downhill. Specialized P all mountain hard tail.

I appreciate any input!!

jaslin

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I personally would run the larger rotors.

It depends on what kind of mounts you have, "post mount" or IS (International Standard) mounts.

If you have IS mounts front and rear, get (2) 203mm IS adaptors, and it will work perfectly! If you have one IS and one post, (assuming Post front) get a 203mm post front, and a 203 IS mount.

Take a picture of the brake mounts, that will help!

Formula Brake Adapter 2012 | Formula | Brand | www.PricePoint.com

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome, thanks very much that was just what I was looking for. I'm not with the bike now for pictures but I believe it is post front and IS rear. So if my new rotors are 203 front and 180 rear, I will need post 203 and IS 180, correct?

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
If you have post mount fronts, yes, and if you have IS mount rears, yes.

·
Registered
438 Posts
if you are 170lbs doing XC the 180/160 combo is more than enough with those brakes. I am 185lbs and had the 203/180 and it seemed to be to much grab and not enough control. Liked the 180/160 much better but thats just how I like my brake set up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts