Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Specialized hardrock I bought a few years back in college. Because it's such a low end entry level bike, I've been really hesitant to put money into upgrading it. Over the last 3 years, I have only replaced tires, grips, and a rear derailleur I snapped off once upon a time. While I plan on buying a new bike in 2017, my old one still has to drag my butt around the trails and it's pretty beat, so I decided to use Xmas to finally upgrade it a little at no cost to me! ;)
My seat was worn-out, so I bought a new one, got a shorter stem, wider bars, new grips, and found some hydraulic brakes. The brakes aren't anything fancy, but as long as they're better than the old worn out mechanical brakes it came with, than I'm happy.
That being said, I didn't even think to consider that my stock units have the shifters and brakes all on a single mount. I was thinking maybe I could just remove the brake levers from the shifters, but I'm not sure how to go about it. The lever isn't mounted with a screw, so would I need to just drill it out? Also, is there any reason anyone here could see that it would cause a problem to get rid of the levers?

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Don't see why not. Give it a try and if it doesn't work out you can pickup a set of 7 speed shifters for about $30.

·
Registered
9,742 Posts
Can't remember and can't see in the pic: Is the bar clamp band continuous between the two screw tabs or does it rely on the brake lever pin to hold two halves together? If it's the latter, leave the pin in and saw off the brake lever.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah good call on that Lone Roger, I think you're right. Maybe I can cut off the lever and grind it back some so it doesn't rattle around while I ride. My drivetrain and forks make enough noise as it is, haha

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Couldn't tell you. It's just what came on the bike. I wouldn't mind getting rid of the front shifter entirely. I only ever use the middle chain ring because the biggest is destroyed from rocks, and the smallest gives me more headaches than its worth (chain sucks, dropped chains, etc.). I guess I could look into how to do that as well, but I'm trying to avoid spending too much money on it since I'd like to buy a new one eventually. When I do buy new, I'll probably convert my current one to be more commuter focused, so who knows what I'll end up buying for it then. So I don't really know how much of a lifespan any new parts will have on this bike.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I got it all wrapped up. It's a little bit of a bummer because there's really no way to get the shifters into a comfortable position with the brakes in the right place, so I have to reach a little to shift, but I'll make it if I stay strong.

In all I got a shorter stem, wider bars, new grips, hydraulic brakes, new seat, and new back tire. Hopefully it'll freshen her up a little on the trail!

I still need a new front tire, but I didn't want to get to carried away with the Xmas gift list :). My front tire looks like a freaking zombie tire, and my forks are so terrible I may just got full rigid as a cheaper option for replacing the death traps currently bouncing me around the trails.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts