Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is stock so I know it is a TruVativ ISIS GigaPipe DH,
68 x 113mm, but you cant get that so I am wondering what I should get to replace it. I also wonder if a upgrade is a good idea and if so what?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Wow! Talk about foot-in-mouth!!

HPilot said:
2004 and a new BB already? What kind of BB is on there now? Did it crap out on you?
My XTR- YES, XTR- BB has already failed on my '05 Jamis Dakar Pro. The non-drive side cup had to be replaced with about 250 miles on the bike! 4 months of use and no drowning rivers or high pressure washes. How rediculous is that!!!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Truvativ BB

jayz said:
It is stock so I know it is a TruVativ ISIS GigaPipe DH,
68 x 113mm, but you cant get that so I am wondering what I should get to replace it. I also wonder if a upgrade is a good idea and if so what?
I've got a 04 XLt 1.0 and I had to replace the stock Truvativ GigaPipe DH after 200 Miles. The BB speced with these bikes is a cheap OEM model from Truvativ. The bottom bracket only has two bearings, one on each side. I purchased a Truvativ ISIS GigaPipe DH, which is the same designation as the stock one, and it has four bearings in it , 2 on each side, and seems much more robust than the exact one that came out of my Jamis!?. FYI I bought the replacement from "Price Point" for about $45.00.
The 4 bearing model is much better than the stock one, but if I had the cash I would go with the external Shimao LX setup, about $160.00 from Price Point.

·
I need a new name
911 Posts
stevieray05 said:
I've got a 04 XLt 1.0 and I had to replace the stock Truvativ GigaPipe DH after 200 Miles. The BB speced with these bikes is a cheap OEM model from Truvativ. The bottom bracket only has two bearings, one on each side. I purchased a Truvativ ISIS GigaPipe DH, which is the same designation as the stock one, and it has four bearings in it , 2 on each side, and seems much more robust than the exact one that came out of my Jamis!?. FYI I bought the replacement from "Price Point" for about $45.00.
The 4 bearing model is much better than the stock one, but if I had the cash I would go with the external Shimao LX setup, about $160.00 from Price Point.
The bearings in the bb of my Dakar sport went to crap after about a year of riding. I replaced it with an American Classic that is lighter and servicable. Size was a 68x113

·
Registered
46 Posts
Bab BB

My 2004 XLT 2.0 stock BB just failed. It lasted 2 seasons of riding so I don't feel to bad about it. I pulled it out and the frame cavity was half full of grey ooze. It ran out on the floor. This was a GIGIpipe DH 4 bearing BB. The drive side bearings where toast. Not sure how the mud got in there. The frame seems pretty sealed up above. The BB cavity has no drain like some of my bikes do. I do ride some muddy stuff from time to time as well as cross some large brooks. Seems strange to find all that **** in there after the second ride of this season. The bike hung on a hook all winter too. Price point 49.95 for a replacement.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.