Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got them on Thursday and started paying with them today. Nothing very glam looking, rether reserved but that's ok. I popped in the rim strip, very nice. I them put on my Exi-2.3's. OMG my thums hurt! Very tight indeed. I had a tube in there since I dodn't have a compressor. THis morning I woke up motivated and removed the Exi's and got out my Lil' Alberts and the Bontrager sealant. I went to the shop where I work to use the compressor. 1 hr later no luck. The tires would not hook up. I was very frustrated. I then took some Cheap steel beaded WTB Motoraptors off the wall and tried them out. Immediate success. The good part is that I am now set up. The bad part is that I have a half assed steel beeded set of tires. Glad they were cheap. All else works fine with the wheels. I just need to sell my others now.

·
old enough to know better
300 Posts
beware Yes Tubes

Don't listen to the Yes Tubes people who will chime in - let us know how the Bonty stuff works.

Is the Bonty goo easier to work with than the Stan's goo?

What kind of rim are you using?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
headhunter said:
Don't listen to the Yes Tubes people who will chime in - let us know how the Bonty stuff works.

Is the Bonty goo easier to work with than the Stan's goo?

What kind of rim are you using?
The rim is the new Bonty tubeless disc rim that is part of the new wheelset.
The goo seems thicker than Stans. It's clear with little black specks like a runny nose after you've been spray painting. Its consistancy mad it a bit easier to work with.

It's been about 3 hrs now and I have not lost a single pound of air but I am a little concerned that the tires are seated a bit "off" and are not totally smooth roling. They have a little hop in each. I hope they settle in and I don't have to reseat them. I want a big air compressor for my home shop Santa!

·
Registered
74 Posts
For the wheels to work optimally, you really need the 29'r TLR tires. Right now, only the ACX is ready but the XRs and other treads are on their way! Tires will be a bit tighter than what you might expect but thats because the hookbead circumference of the rim is held to a much tighter tolerance.

have fun!

·
vegan cyclocross disco
282 Posts
Not to rain on any parades...
I just rode with a friend that has the race x lite tubeless and he said they're only 80 grams lighter then bontrager race wheels when converted to tubeless with tape. (he has both)

hmmm...

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
iamandy said:
I just rode with a friend that has the race x lite tubeless and he said they're only 80 grams lighter then bontrager race wheels when converted to tubeless with tape. (he has both)

hmmm...
That's fine by me. I've been running exiwolf 2.3's WITH tubes (heavy pig) because I was unable to get the WTB rims I have to seal. I suspect that the line of UST tires will eventally happen; this is good because with the rocks we have here along with my 200lbs., pinchflats are common.

·
Registered
492 Posts
iamandy said:

hmmm...
I don't care if they're not lighter - even if they were the same and I could just run low pressure and not flat I'd be happy!

Sam

·
Cassoulet forever !
2,260 Posts
Super_Tool said:
For the wheels to work optimally, you really need the 29'r TLR tires. Right now, only the ACX is ready but the XRs and other treads are on their way! Tires will be a bit tighter than what you might expect but thats because the hookbead circumference of the rim is held to a much tighter tolerance.
Is there some place where we can buy the new TLR XR tires ?

·
Living the thug life.
795 Posts
Just some (small) insight. My boss at work a set already, and I weighed them at 1775 grams without rim strip and skewers. I had 2 sets of American Classics (1650 grams) that always did well for me, but these Bontragers have a noticably wider/stout rim and the hub flanges are wider apart on both the front and rear hub, ie I assume they are much stiffer. I figured out the total weight with going tubeless with the X-lites will be spot on with the American Classics. Also, there is a lot to be said for having the wider rim as far as the tire contact is concerned.

I will be getting 2 pairs of these wheels on Wed and plan to mount them up with regular tires as well. The 26" versions have no problem running regular tires, but require a lot of air to seat them fully (with a lot of LOUD pops). That is probably why the tires are not fully seated yet.

You can take what I say with a grain of salt if you want. This year I'll be racing for with a grassroots sponsorship from Gary Fisher for the endurance stuff, so I may be tainted. Your welcome to check out the progress from my blog below.

·
Category Winner
6,138 Posts
headhunter said:
Are the tubeless rims the same as the Mustangs?
Unfortunately no. I got my I9's built up on Mustangs hoping that the strips would work on them when they were available. I borrowed some strips and ran home with them, only to find they wouldn't fit. I went back to the shop, and we compared the inside of our rims and saw the difference.
I'm not saying that they won't work with some fiddling, but they were DESIGNED to work with the newer rim. The rim walls are very different.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wulp, the tires have each lost about 10-15 lbs of air this morning and there is a significant pool of spooge under under each wheel. Not sure how they will hande a real ride. We got 3" of the wettest muck snow last night and I'm not keen on riding in it. If the Bonty stuff does not hold I know the Stan's will.

·
Registered
67 Posts
iamandy said:

hmmm...
What Tube-less Tire was he using?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wulp, they went flat a few times but aired up easily with a floor pump, likely due to the steel beaded motoraptors. The crap weather finally moved out and I was able to roll in the park on paved trails. Sucky but a good chance to seat (?) the tires and give a cursory check of the rigidity; my previous wheels were 32 spoke, these are 28.

The tires had a hell of a time getting fully on there. Some of the bead stuck lower that other parts and left me with clown car wheels. I let out some air, rolled for a few miles then put it back in. No luck. I kept riding but the bottom started to hurt after about 2 hrs.. I LOVE the lower weight than the Exi-Wuffs. The bike seamed to respond to the pedals better. The rigidity may or may not be better but I would get slightly better. My wallet says they are "totally f'n better!". When I got home I let out all but about 10lbs of air, sprayed the bead with soapy water and aired the tires up to 70 lbs. PING! How round I am! That's how I roll. Less weight, less flats, and round are all good.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
My experience...

I've got a set of prototype Race X-Lite wheels that I've had since about August of last year. I just (last Wed) got some rim strips, a pair of Bontrager Jones ACX TR tires, and a jug of sealant. I aired them up on Wednesday night. Pretty simple install process... even for a first time tubeless user. I also found that you need to air them up to about 60psi to get the bead to seat and it does so very loudly when it finally does. The tires I have are also pre-production and weren't quite up to standards (so I was told). They lose about 10psi a day so the production tires should be even better. I haven't been out on a ride yet since it's freaking freezing around here lately, but hopefully soon. I haven't tried any other tires on them yet...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.