Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Doesnt ride Banshees
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my new xc bike built this afternoon! Since I feel most comfortable on a downhill bike, traditional xc bikes just feel weird to me. On paper, this thing looked ideal for a downhiller who rides mucho cross country, so I pulled the trigger and ordered the frame. Unfortunately we got 8" of snow here in maine, so it's snowmobile trails for now, and I'll probably drive down to Nam in MA next saturday for some riding to get it on dirt. Here are some spec's and pictures...

PS: Don't tell me to rotate my guide, I just noticed in the pictures and am on it.

07' Santa Cruz Blur 4X, Large
07' Rock Shox Pike 426 U-Turn
Fox Float R (off to PUSH soon)
Chris King headset
Chris King hubset
Mavic XM321 rims
SRAM X9 derailleur
SRAM X9 shifter
SRAM PC991 chain
SRAM PC990 cassette
Avid Juicy 5 brakes
Truvativ Howitzer BB
Truvativ Holzefeller cranks
Truvativ Holzefeller stem
Truvativ Holzefeller bar
Thomson Elite layback post
E13 SRS
E13 Guide ring
Rare Evil supercharger
WTB Rocket V saddle
WTB Weirwolf LT 2.55 tires
ODI ruffian lock ons
Time Atacs for now
Crank Brothers Acids on wednesday

·
ISO Gems...
549 Posts
Killer... I'd love to try the 4X out one of these days. If I had the extra dough that would be the bike that I'd get in addition to the Nomad, nice and slack, low BB, built up much lighter. I bet it'll be fun.

D

·
my church is the woods
1,066 Posts
how tall are you?

how tall are you? I am almost ready to order a 4x frame, but without any shops having one it stock to try, I am not sure if I should go with med or large. I'm 5"11" , which on the sizing chart shows I could go either way. I like the top tube length of a large but I'm a little concerned about the really long wheelbase and being able to flick it around. I think the medium would be too short to climb with however.

That orange color looks sweet. I wonder if it matches the new Marz Z1 orange?

·
Registered
205 Posts
5'11" with a large here.

moonraker said:
how tall are you? I am almost ready to order a 4x frame, but without any shops having one it stock to try, I am not sure if I should go with med or large. I'm 5"11" , which on the sizing chart shows I could go either way. I like the top tube length of a large but I'm a little concerned about the really long wheelbase and being able to flick it around. I think the medium would be too short to climb with however.

That orange color looks sweet. I wonder if it matches the new Marz Z1 orange?
moonraker,
I am 5'11" also and find the large to be a great fit with a 90-110mm stem. The longish wheelbase hasn't been a problem for me on techy, tight singletrack. When the trail turns steep and fast the longer wheelbase really comes into play. It's a very stable bike through the rough at speed and carves corners very well. The bike has a very surefooted feel to it and gives a little added confidence. I find it to be quite flickable and comfortable in the air despite the longer wheelbase. If you are intending to use the bike as a trailbike and do a good deal of climbing on your trails, I'd definitely say go with a large. As a playbike or for racing only a medium might be fine. FWIW, I am coming from a medium Heckler and really digging the handling, climbing, and overall ride of the 4X. BTW, that orange looks way sweet and I almost ordered that color. It would actually match the new orange Z1 rather nicely with some ano blue bling tossed in. Unfortunately, at a fixed 150mm the Z1 would have a serious chopper effect on the bike. Maybe a Nemesis mod would be in order.

·
ISO Gems...
549 Posts
scruffylooking said:
Banshee - Up until now I loved my 4X. Now, I love your 4X. The orange is killer.

Dirty D - Are you in SD? I'm in the OC. If you're ever up here and if you fit a medium let me know. You can try mine out.
Yes, I'm in the big SD, let me know if your're ever in the area. Even though I'm not in the market right now, I appreciate you extending that nice offer - Maybe I'll take you up on it in the future. Thanks.

·
Got A Lust for Life...
2,969 Posts
Any one else notice that his frame does not have the TI link? A friend of mine just pointed that out and I cannot believe I didn't notice it. They haven't used that link for how long now? I wonder how long that frame was hanging in the warehouse.

·
Got A Lust for Life...
2,969 Posts
You should see it in person. I rode it around the shop today and have started contemplating a setback post and shorter stem. Ol Banshee knows how to throw a bike together I tell ya...his own way for sure.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.