Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We built up this s/m EVO today, it has a steeper seat angle, and components that will make it really fun on the DH. I rode it around today and all I can say is I am very happy, I will post a full ride report soon.

The specs are as follows:

Marz Z1 Lite
Sram X9 Groupo
Answer carbon bar
FSA Carbon cranks
Avid Juicy 7 brakes w/ carbon lever
FSA headset
Thomson Stem
DT Swiss 340 wheelset
WTB 2.5 Timberwolf front, WTB Motoraptor 2.4 rear
Truvativ Seatpost
WTB Rocket V Saddle

Attachments

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Nice build

Very clean looking build. Love the color. :D

Bob

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
MMcG said:
I think I'd need a step ladder to get over the TT to ride that bike.
That was my first impression too. I did a few measurements in Photoshop based on the A-C of the fork and wheel diameter (the only two values that are "known" in the picture) and I came up with with between 32" and 32.5" in standover at the center of the top tube.

I thought the suspension action of the EVO was among the best of the bikes we rode at Interbike, but I could not come to terms with the tubing layout.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Colour looks great :thumbsup:

Perhaps a bit too shiny looking, but you never know with photos !~!

I wanna see a photo of a 30" inseam standing over it :D !~!

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
It would be cool to take a photo of it with a tapemeasure running from the ground to the top of the top tube.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)

tscheezy said:
That was my first impression too. I did a few measurements in Photoshop based on the A-C of the fork and wheel diameter (the only two values that are "known" in the picture) and I came up with with between 32" and 32.5" in standover at the center of the top tube.

I thought the suspension action of the EVO was among the best of the bikes we rode at Interbike, but I could not come to terms with the tubing layout.
I think you should try a S/M evo, it may be more to your liking. The tubing is laid out like that in order to have a centralized pivot, for our center of mass technology, it is an extremely well-balanced chassis and you will find that pedaling is among the best among four bar type designs. I'm not sure if it was you who complained about the seat angle, but the new frames have a steeper seat angle for the all mountain types and the geometry is dialed for climbing.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
CHUMBAevo said:
I think you should try a S/M evo, it may be more to your liking. The tubing is laid out like that in order to have a centralized pivot, for our center of mass technology, it is an extremely well-balanced chassis and you will find that pedaling is among the best among four bar type designs. I'm not sure if it was you who complained about the seat angle, but the new frames have a steeper seat angle for the all mountain types and the geometry is dialed for climbing.
Actually I'm 5'11", and we did ride the large at IBike. I loved most things about the bike, but the seat angle did end up putting the saddle veeeery far behind the cranks when raised to normal pedaling height (and I don't think it had a setback post). As in, many inches behind KOPS. Good to see you were able to find a design that would keep the suspension the same but make the cockpit length easier to dial in. The added benefit is that with overly shallow seat tube angles, it makes it very hard to run Gravity Dropper and similar posts. I wonder if on the smaller frames you could just spec an RP23 to eliminate the need to clear a piggyback and drop the top tube a bunch more for standover clearance...?

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
CHUMBAevo said:
If you want a low standover bike with all mountain goodness, take a look at the XCL, not as much travel as the evo, but still holds its own.
Yes that's a very classic FS design - looks sharp. Think you could eek out 5.5" of travel on it in the future?

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
8,847 Posts
That looks very good! This was one of the frames I was eyeballing pretty good, as well as a Rocky Mountain Slayer frame, when recently shopping. Ended up with the Covert, but this sure is a very nice looking alternative!

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Ride report

Today was my first ride on the EVO with adjusted geometry, namely steeper seat angle to accomodate all mountain riding. I went to San Juan which has some nice single track full of switchbacks, and rocky rutted climbing. Well to make a long story short, I cleaned pretty much everything with minimal body movements, no wandering front end, no need to get in front of the bike too much, it handled perfectly on the climbs. On the DH, with the Z1 lite combined with the EVO suspension, it was pure butter -- couldn't imagine going too much faster even on my F4 -- barely touched my brakes. I can honestly say, this bike can do it all, it can climb with the best of them, and I know it can out descend anything out there. But then again, I'm just a tad bit biased. :) After riding this bike, I am so stoked to start riding a lot again. After yesterday's performance I am really confident that riders will be pleased with this bike, I can offer to demo this out to people in the So Cal area, so give me a holla!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts