Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today I ordered my first mtb, a raleigh tukol 3.0 and couldn't be more pumped. I had been using my buddies old diamondback and figured it was about time I purchased a proper bike for myself. After demoing a bunch of models at my LBS it came between that and a cannondale sl29 2. The main seller was the extra 20mm of travel the raleigh offered (as well as the 350$ cheaper price tag) as both bikes felt great. Only bummer is I have to wait a week now for it to arrive, just thought I would vent some of my excitement on here.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I just got call from my LBS, turns out Raleigh is back ordered on the tokul 3.0 and may be months before they have more to ship out:/ I also checked other local Raleigh dealers and same story. Not sure what I'm going to do at this point, very bummed. It' seems any similarly spec'ed bike is an extra 400-500$ then the tokul. Anyone have any suggestions for a 650b under 1500$ with a rockshox fork 120mm travel or more? On one seems to make a nice steel frame650b with 140mm travel but it's at the very limit of my budget. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That dragon sport looks awesome! I am also looking at the kona taro right now, I know its a 29er but it has a short chainstay and for extra $100 is equipped with rockshox tk gold fork and extra 10mm of travel. Unfortunately there are no dealers that sell either bike around me so demoing is not an option. Anyone have any input on the kona or any other suggestions? Also, I was checking out on one456650b and ragley m47 but from what i gathered i would have those shipped from the uk, correct? Right now I will take all suggestions thrown at me, thanks for the help!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm a bit of noob, but I try to help out if I can.
Reading you need 120mm with Rock Shock does this fit in your category ?
I just looked at the specs and they matched your post, but maybe i'm linking something totally wrong, don't be hatin then :)
No clue about your size though.

2013 Marin East Peak 5 6 19" Full Suspension 26" MTB Bike Shimano 10S New | eBay

[url]http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-Marin-MOUNT-VISION-XM6-19-Full-Suspsension-MTB-Bike-26-SRAM-10s-Disc-NEW-/131182263158?pt=US_Bicycles_Frames&hash=item1e8b127b76

This one has 140mm, no clue if it's better or worse :)

[/URL]

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I know the price keeps going up and up, but if you're talking retail on the Kona Taro $1399 and a 29er is an option, you may want to consider throwing down another $200 and get a Airborne Goblin Evolution. From the specifications online, it seems as if the Kona Taro comes with a Sektor Gold. The Goblin Evolution comes with a Rock Shox Revelation 120mm fork, X7 drivetrain with an X9 rear derailleur. You'd also get Sun Ringle Charger Comp wheels instead of WTB WSX23s.

Airborne Bicycles. Goblin Evolution

And for what this comes with, this is a great deal

2012 Marin Rock Springs Elite 29er 19" Hardtail MTB Bike Shimano SLX Fox New | eBay

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@ pol4k, while that marin looks nice im not looking to purchase a fs rig, thanks for the reply though.

@shakester unfortunately that goblin is out of my price range :/ the taro at 1400 is even a stretch :(. The components on that marin are awesome but the idea of it not coming with a manufactures warranty, only a 30day makes me weary...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I found a bike shop about an hour from me that sells both jamis and kona. I'm gonna try and get in sometime this week if not this weekend to demo the dragon sport and taro. Thanks for all the replies and suggestions guys, was very helpful. I'll update after I get into the shop.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts