Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I'm new here so sorry if I'm in wrong forum.

I'm buying new bike for riding most of the time on asphalt and gravel roads.
I was looking those:

-Trek 4900 Disc (2013)
-Giant Revel 0 LTD (2013)
-Giant Talon 27.5" 3 (2014)

Which one would you recommend me?

·
Rogue Exterminator
4,951 Posts
The Revel appears to have the best components but they are all pretty entry level.
Ride them and see which one fits best. That is the one you should go with.

As far as which forum to post this in, the beginner forum would have been a better choice but oh well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes they are but that is my budget and I'm really not that much into cycling that it would be worth to buy something more expensive.

What about the difference between 26" and 27.5" wheels?

·
Registered
323 Posts
The main thing that will affect you between the 26 and the 27.5 is the 27.5 can go a bit further with each pedal stroke, since it has a larger circumference, but it will be a bit slower to accelerate. This could be hidden by gearing between the bikes. These bikes are all about equal, so pick the one you like to ride the most and go with that. There isn't a wrong choice in your list.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I won't miss with Revel 0 LTD, which has the best price from that trio and is my favorite because of it's "paint job" :D

And I forgot to ask. That Revel (2013) has 26", could I change to 27.5" and what is the price of those wheels? Where could I buy cheapest?

·
Registered
323 Posts
You might be able to put 27.5 wheels on it, if they fit, they will change the way the bike feels. It looks like wheelsets start about $250.00 for 27.5. Check the various online retailers to see if they have anything. But if you are interested in the bigger wheel size, you may want to start with the bike that already has them.

I would recommend putting feel of the bike as the number one factor on which one to choose, and everything else as a distant number two. You cn get the coolest best speced bike but if you don't like how it rides you won't ride it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I didn't have time yet to go to the shop but on the phone they said me that definitely 27.5. I don't know if only because of the price which is a bit higher or is this that much better?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Looking at the resale value, I wouldn't buy a 26 bike, not even for a good price. You will have hard time trying to sell that bike in the future. That's my opinion.

·
Registered
323 Posts
It's the new fad, so they is what the sales people are going to be pushing. I don't like the feel of the 29ers I have ridden compared to my 26er. Don't have any seat time on a 27.5er, so can't comment on if they are that much better. If you are planning on performing upgrades to the fork or wheels in the next few years the 27.5 will probably be easier to find parts for. But don't compromise on the feel on the bike for a "better" bike.
Hopefully once you get on the bikes it will become apparent which one is the one for you. If not the 27.5 would probably be the one to go for since that is the way the sport is moving.

·
Registered
323 Posts
It's hard to say, the site doesn't list any of the important specs, to determine how it will handle and if off the shelf parts will fit for upgrades. For that price, you may want to look into used bikes, you can often get more bang for your buck.

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
The larger wheel has better roll and goes over objects better. It used to be that the only option for a larger wheel was 29 which I did not like

After 16 years on a steel racing ht 26 I went to 27.5. I'll never go back

1 - 13 of 13 Posts