Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heyo folks. It's been about six years since I left the trails and became a roadie. The mountain itch has been bugging me for a while, and when I found this bike on eBay, I couldn't resist. Came yesterday and I put it together stock. Took it for a short ride on a 3-mile-ish trail near my house. It was fantastic. I'm not a MTB fiend, but to me it felt just like a mountain bike should feel.

2008 Bianchi Sok 29er:

The tease.

Well packed! Not a scratch.

What a beaut!

Christened with a custom head cap. Phrase from zeropergallon.com

Hmmm, I'm broke, but just for kicks- what should I upgrade?

Also, I can't seem to adjust the front disc brake so that it doesn't rub a bit, any tips?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
AZ.MTNS said:
Nice , have you tryed recentering the disc brake caliper ?
doh! that did it. It's my first time using disc brakes, didn't realize it had so much adjustability. The little card that came with it said nothing about that, only turning the little pad-adjust knobs. Crisis averted.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Upgrades

As for your upgrade question. Do nothing. Ride it as delivered for a while, then decide what you don't like about something. Then change it. Upgrades (for the financially prudent) should follow the following order: 1) Improve Ergonomics 2) Improve Ride 3) Reduce Weigth 4) It's Bling-thirty!!!

·
Registered
345 Posts
You might think about adding a few different tires into the mix. Those exiwolfs are nice, but some lighter or more condition-specific tires would be my first upgrade. If you ride in mud, get some Conti Mountain Kings. If you ride tacky hardpack, get some Kenda Karma 1.9s. If you don't deal with rocks or thorns, then maybe give the Stan's Crow or Raven a try.

I've found that tire choice is very important when riding a 29er SS; it's worth the time and money to experienment to find out what works in your area!

Best of luck!

Joe

·
Registered
333 Posts
octotat said:
As for your upgrade question. Do nothing. Ride it as delivered for a while, then decide what you don't like about something. Then change it. Upgrades (for the financially prudent) should follow the following order: 1) Improve Ergonomics 2) Improve Ride 3) Reduce Weigth 4) It's Bling-thirty!!!
my oh my...what an epiphany...!!!

this should be posted on all threads...every thread on this forum in every catogery...

"1) Improve Ergonomics 2) Improve Ride 3) Reduce Weigth 4) It's Bling-thirty!!!"...this statement is tooooo legit, maybe post it as a banner atop the homepage...

thanks oct

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Going out for my first true ride later today. I'm waiting for the mercury to break 50. I'm lucky enough to be 10 minutes to the San Felasco trails, for those who are familiar. They've got the biggest event of the year on Saturday, so I'm thinking the trails will be in prime condition. Or closed... fingers crossed.

Orkje said:
I'm afraid your road bike might get a bit dusty soon... Welcome (back) to the dirt side of things!
Not a chance, I'm a bike commuter as well.

octotat said:
This is fantastic, I agree. Luckily I have a long way to go before I get to bling-thirty on either of my bikes. I just put a rack on my commuter that I got out of the junk bin. I'll need a steady income before I can even think about bling.

Joe_Jitsu said:
I've found that tire choice is very important when riding a 29er SS; it's worth the time and money to experienment to find out what works in your area!
I'm living in central Florida, so I'm not sure I'll need different tires. It's mostly dirt, leaves, sand, and roots here. I will probably look for lighter tires, following octotat's flowchart up there. Any Florida natives have tire advice for San Felasco/Santos?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
First Ride Report: Awesome.

The outside temp crept above 50 for the first time in a week yesterday (stop laughing, it's Florida) and the sun was out in full force. It was the perfect day. I drove out to San Felsco trails. There was only one other person there, so it was like having the whole place to myself. Well, it would have been if she wasn't riding all of the trails backwards (you can ride them either way, but there is one way that is more logical) and kept running into me.

Anyway, I ended up riding for two hours. It was SO MUCH FUN. Oh gosh. Singlespeed is so nice. I didn't get tired or have to walk ever. I think I had an advantage because I commute daily on a SS road bike, so my legs were up for it. I'm not super confident with the handling, and I can't hold a line to save my life- but those things come with experience. The jury is still out on the gear ratio- it felt spinny, but I'll give it a few more rides until I make any changes. San Felsco doesn't have many obstacles to speak of, but it took those well, also. Flying past trees with inches to spare freaks me out a bit. I think a narrower handlebar might be in order. I'm 6', riding the 19.5" model, and the fit is great. I've got long legs, so the seat is way up, but I don't feel stretched out at all. It's the day after the ride and I don't feel any soreness related to fit (lower back, shoulders, hamstrings, etc.), just the normal post-ride soreness, so I'm confident the bike fits me well.

The San Felasco trails were in top shape, and had signs set up for the Tour de Felsco, the biggest event of the year, which takes place tomorrow. It's mostly flowy, with a few technical sections. The Bianchi climbs like a creature of the night, even in technical ascents. I'm really pleased. I spent some time exploring the newer trails that have been added in the past few years and really liked them. It's nice to have several smaller loops that you can pick from to mix it up. I don't think I'll get bored with San Felasco ever.

Animals: too many deer to count and one giant jackrabbit. It's freaky to see deer running across the trail ahead and alongside as I ride. I know they can do some serious damage.

·
SSolo, on your left!
2,577 Posts
octotat said:
One of the best posts...EVER. :thumbsup: :)

SSRedwood....very sweet bike congrats!!! :thumbsup: Keep the wide bars for climbing and steering leverage in rooty rocky situations.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.