Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't consider myself a beginner, but i have found new bike questions are better answered in this thread. I am going off to a school in new hampshire where i have access to ski mountains but also technical fast single track as well, Im a pretty little dude, around 5'8 150, i really like the looks of transition bottlerocket and other things with that slopestyle look, because the small frames and geo help it being easy for me to flick, also looking at something like the specialized sx, i just don't know how well bikes like this do climbing or peddling, because i really like to sprint on my bike as well. Any advice or other kinda bikes would be heavily appreciated.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Well, here's the thing- Your stature (which is just like mine) isn't quite as critical to the issue of what type of riding you plan to do most. Obviously it's difficult to predict since you're not there yet but each chassis design has pros and cons depending on the type of terrain thrown in your direction.

The Bottlerocket will be a better descender than climber thanks to the slacker geometry and higher gearing. it'll also take big hits far more effectively than a cross country or even trail design at the cost of some pedaling efficiency.

So in that line of thinking you would probably have to base your decision on whether or not shuttle runs (or ski lifts) will be an option in New Hampshire. If you want to take on fast descents then pedal your way back up you would be wiser to consider an All Mountain design.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what do you think about a 09 Jamis Parker 1, i know the 08 has had structural problems, but they claimed to have fixed it this year, and they have excellent CS. Also its lighter and looks like it doesn't sacrafice as much in terms of ascending while still being able to descend

Attachments

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I don't know a whole lot about the bike but based on reviews around the net, it appears to be a pretty well rounded performer at a great price point. I noticed you were also considering the Specialized SX (Enduro) which are very well reputed as well.

After rereading my earlier post, I don't want to insinuate that downhillers don't pedal at all, but as someone who would typically buy freeride bikes then suffer with them on the singletrack (single chainring, 8 inches of travel), I've since come to realize that the experience was a lot more fun on a pedal-happy 4 or 5 inch design that was still beefy enough to take a beating when the opportunity presented itself.

Really your best bet would be to try to link up with some riders already in the area to get a real solid understanding of the type of trails and what they find works best.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts