Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, everyone.

I haven't had much of a chance to check out (um, I mean, lurk) these boards for a while because of work and stuff, but I've been wanting to crow a little bit about my new bike!

After many months of riding the beach bike path on my ridiculously old $50 bike, I finally convinced my boyfriend to take me out mountain biking. He agreed, on one condition: NO COMPLAINING.

I did my best not to complain, but I ended up doing a lot of crying instead as I got stuck in a way-too-high gear and couldn't move enough to even get myself off the bike, steered into the bushes every 30 seconds, and got a collection of insect bites the size of dinner plates. Once we straightened all of that out, I was fine, and about halfway through I started really enjoying myself :).

Then, when we were six miles in and had just made the decision to turn back and go home, my freewheel exploded. I don't think either one of us was looking forward to a six-mile walk with the bikes, so he managed to fix the thing well enough to be able to coast back to the parking lot on it.

I got to ride his $2000 bike home while he dealt with my broken piece of junk, and by the time we got back, I'd fallen in love with it :). We started to halfheartedly look into fixing mine, but I'd already made the decision to get a new bike.

The next day, we went to five different stores and tried out just about everything in my price range (no more than $400), and I ended up buying the '04 Iron Horse Warrior Comp at Performance for $399. It was on clearance, they only had one left in the store, and it fit me perfectly. Plus, it has disc brakes, and that pretty much sold me right away :).

I've only been able to take it out a couple of times--working six days a week isn't leaving much time for anything else--but the last time we went, I put on my new clipless pedals. I've been sporting a gigantic knee-and-elbow scrape and a crazy huge bruise because of it, but I only fell twice (both times because he distracted me and made me stop! grr!) and I thought it actually felt better.

Anyway, just had to share. Now I've gotta get out and ride more often so I can actually contribute to some of the other discussions we've got going here :).

·
Premium Member
4,129 Posts
Yay and congrats!
And you get extra bonus points for tackling the wilds on a 50 dollar bike!

dorkus said:
Hey, everyone.

I haven't had much of a chance to check out (um, I mean, lurk) these boards for a while because of work and stuff, but I've been wanting to crow a little bit about my new bike!

After many months of riding the beach bike path on my ridiculously old $50 bike, I finally convinced my boyfriend to take me out mountain biking. He agreed, on one condition: NO COMPLAINING.

I did my best not to complain, but I ended up doing a lot of crying instead as I got stuck in a way-too-high gear and couldn't move enough to even get myself off the bike, steered into the bushes every 30 seconds, and got a collection of insect bites the size of dinner plates. Once we straightened all of that out, I was fine, and about halfway through I started really enjoying myself :).

Then, when we were six miles in and had just made the decision to turn back and go home, my freewheel exploded. I don't think either one of us was looking forward to a six-mile walk with the bikes, so he managed to fix the thing well enough to be able to coast back to the parking lot on it.

I got to ride his $2000 bike home while he dealt with my broken piece of junk, and by the time we got back, I'd fallen in love with it :). We started to halfheartedly look into fixing mine, but I'd already made the decision to get a new bike.

The next day, we went to five different stores and tried out just about everything in my price range (no more than $400), and I ended up buying the '04 Iron Horse Warrior Comp at Performance for $399. It was on clearance, they only had one left in the store, and it fit me perfectly. Plus, it has disc brakes, and that pretty much sold me right away :).

I've only been able to take it out a couple of times--working six days a week isn't leaving much time for anything else--but the last time we went, I put on my new clipless pedals. I've been sporting a gigantic knee-and-elbow scrape and a crazy huge bruise because of it, but I only fell twice (both times because he distracted me and made me stop! grr!) and I thought it actually felt better.

Anyway, just had to share. Now I've gotta get out and ride more often so I can actually contribute to some of the other discussions we've got going here :).

·
life is a barrel o'fun
2,502 Posts
what she said!

It's the trend (as per BIKE magazine) to try and ride the usual trails on clunker-type bikes. Even more challenging than going singlespeed.

Can't wait to hear about all the fun you'll be having.....even if it is only 1x/week or so.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.