Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really getting into mountain biking, but i don't think my hardrock sport is up to the task i want. It performs well for what i bought it for (going to work). But i want something for more of a weekend rider, and when i find a course near me. Also, being 16, and having a full time job, i have a lot of extra cash that the girls don't get to see. Any suggestions on a new bike? i can get anywhere upwards of $1200+. Or should i just upgrade my hardrock and save the cash?

·
The Mud Stud
1,435 Posts
Well, you could, but really you should first hit the trails and see if that bike is enough. Anyway, its good to learn on a hardtail and then upgrade to dual suspention. Makes you a better rider by teaching you to pick a line, among other things. Save up your money until you can down 3000 on a new bike, then get one. Beleive me, when you need a new bike, youll know. There is a big difference between want, and need. Im not much older than you and Ive been riding a rockhopper for the past few years. Ill admit that If I had more money Id get a new bike, but I also love the rockhopper. I learned on a hardtail trek, and my hopper is also a hardtail, and I can really respect them now. Dual sus is great but hardtails can do some things that dual sus simply cant, plus its a good solid bike. When you get out on the trails youll find that you quickly forget what is under you and start to simply enjoy the ride. Its half the reason I dont care if I dont have a better bike. Save up, keep your bike, and when you've progressed to the level that you know you need a new bike, then buy one. Your hardrock will survive, thats what its built for. Now find some trails and ride man, we need more people are age out there!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea, i mean everyone around here (huntington beach area) rides touring bikes, but i can keep up with them when i want, but its not my thing, i like taking the long way to work, through the construction sites and getting my few jumps in and then know that at 5pm, im right back on my pedals heading towards the reverse side of those jumps. I'd like to upgrade to disk breaks, drivers arent so cautious out here. any suggestions?

·
Registered
536 Posts
The hardrock's a decent trail bike, if a bit heavy. The only weak bits I see are the brakes and maybe the fork.

Go wear it out, then buy a new bike. Or upgrade to mechanical discs or good V-Brakes and a better fork when you get the chance.

The only upgrade I'd suggest to do immediately is to replace your brake pads with Kool-Stop Salmon or dual-compound pads. The biggest problem with your brakes are that the pads utterly suck, Tektro makes decent brakes but uses crappy pads.

·
The Mud Stud
1,435 Posts
Hehe, Im still running tektros, though Im upgrading to discs and new rims very soon. Hes right though, my brakes work, and better than guys with v brakes costing 5x as much, simply because I use kool stop multi compound, and they are the best there are after real disc brakes. Get rid of that fork though, its crap. Also if you want you can upgrade the drivetrain. Its worth having a good hardtail as well as a dual suspention rig anyway, so upgrade, ride, then buy a new one.

·
Registered
689 Posts
The hardrock is basically and urban/DJ bike with a crappy xc fork. Beat on it till the fork goes bye bye, than get a new fork. Basically though it is prolly up to what ever you are throwing at it. But if you want a new bike, you don't need to justify it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
what would be a good fork, and im going to look for the brake pads at my LBS. And should i just find a trail and ride it, and then buy a new bike, rather than drop $200+ on a fork? And he Stumphopper FSR is so nice, saw it at Surf City Cyclery.

·
The Mud Stud
1,435 Posts
It is a nice bike. Again, its better for you to learn on a bike with no rear suspention, then get a stumpjumper. Also, a 200 dollar fork is nothing beside a 1400 bike. Ride the wheels off your current bike, then you you really need a new bike youll know without needing to ask.

·
Registered
254 Posts
You HAVE to ride the trails first to see what you need. Go hit Santa Monica mountains a few times, not just once, and you'll know what you need. I got a Trek 4500 first, rode that for a year, got better and then put together what I think is a great full suspension bike for what I want to do with it. I know there are $3k and up bikes out there, but that was too much for me. Mine cost me $1500 to build, I got all the components I wanted and I love it. The first time out on my FS bike I cut 15 minutes off my tme on a local trail. I was able to do stuff better and faster than on my hardtail. But that all depends on a trail. Rent a FS bike after a few ride and see how that feels and then decide. Good luck.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've been riding my Hardrock sport since 1998. I've ridden the piss out of it too and beat it up hard, and it keeps on ticking. However, it's due for replacement because my ass is so sore each time I ride anymore and mine is so old I can't upgrade to discs. Else I'd just keep it.

The hardrock is a good bike for a beginner to moderate rider. Give it some time and then go FS.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.