Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
2 suggestions

if you use Google you'll get your answer, and check the post in "Beginners" forum about department store bikes - it's a STICKY near the top.

Good luck, Jim.

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
here

go to google and type in:

forge sawback 5xx target

...bear in mind a decent ride with these parts costs $700+, so a bike for less than 1/2 that price will be decidedly short on performance. Note its available only on line, not in stores, and how will you get it serviced or find out if it fits?

The answer is at your local bike shop (LBS)

Jim

·
Registered
9 Posts
No, only available from Target online. I bought a 7xx and it is really a great bike for the price. The sawbacks are made by Giant and from what I can tell use the same frames as the Giant labled bikes at much higher prices. (ie. Sawback 7xx is the same frame as the Giant Rock1 in the Asian Market.) I would definitely consider the 5xx if I wanted a HT on a limited budget. It has good mid level components, and if you do not like it when it arrives, you can return it at your local Target and all you lose is the shipping. Check out other threads on this forum, there are great pics of the 5xx and the 7xx as well as several posts from owners of 5xx s.

·
Registered
22 Posts
JimC. said:
if you use Google you'll get your answer, and check the post in "Beginners" forum about department store bikes - it's a STICKY near the top.

Good luck, Jim.
I think most on here don't consider the Forge to be a "department store" bike (IE: Murray, Huffy, Schwinns, etc. of the world), so far the build quality and components are well beyond Dept. Store bikes. In fact compared to LBS bikes prices in this price range, it's almost like getting a $200 parts upgrade. Drawback is no "free" setup, and no "free" tuneup that most Local Bike Shops have. And I feel that's where the price-point is coming in. (Trading service for better parts).

I just purchased a Sawback 5xx, should be here Friday. I'm planning on a complete report on it. The pics already posted online seem to point that this is a Giant (or same OEM) Frame, it has decent welding, and build quality. The nice thing is that while it's only available online, you can return it at any Target Store. You can always pick one up, and have a LBS set it up for you for around $50.

Drawback is it's a new company, so support (other than target's reurn policy) is an unknown....

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
disagree, sorry

with a no name fork and stated performance "for dirt trails and refined bike paths" you aren't getting a real mountain bike with a fork that works. The frame may be OK as some of the parts might be, but the bike is the sum of the parts and many of them are decidedly below entry level for performance...but hey, if it works out, and I hope it does, good stuff.

I personally believe that a good frame and fork are necessary to be the building blocks for a good ride. Sooner or later you need a good fork, unless it's a crusier for you.

Jim

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
The fork is a manitou axel comp 80, I see axel comps on a lot of the $500 dollar bikes in the 2005 model lineup for companies... how is Manitou no name? Sure the axel comp is low end, but its better than RST>

·
Registered
22 Posts
JimC. said:
with a no name fork and stated performance "for dirt trails and refined bike paths" you aren't getting a real mountain bike with a fork that works. The frame may be OK as some of the parts might be, but the bike is the sum of the parts and many of them are decidedly below entry level for performance...but hey, if it works out, and I hope it does, good stuff.

I personally believe that a good frame and fork are necessary to be the building blocks for a good ride. Sooner or later you need a good fork, unless it's a crusier for you.

Jim
Since when is Manitou a "No Name Fork"?!?!?!?!?!?
And it's pretty well known to be a Giant Frame... Again, no name?

Where is the "Dirt Trails and *REFINED* Bike Paths" stated?

"Perfect for Trails, Dirt Roads, and Paths" Is what the manufacture says...

Oh, and heres the list of no-name parts, forgive the formatting, I cut and pasted them...

Frameset
Size: MATTE BLUE 19'' (STAND OVER HEIGHT 30.75'')*
SILVER 17'' (STAND OVER HEIGHT 30'')*
Color: MATTE BLUE OR SILVER
Frame: 6061 ALUMINUM, WITH DISC AND RACK MOUNT
Approv. Weight: 32.7 LBS
Front Suspension: MANITOU AXEL COMP T80, ADJUSTABLE PRELOAD
Wheels
Rims: WTB SPEEDDISC 559X17, 541ERD, 24MM, PRESTA VALVES
Hubs: JOYTECH ALLOY 32H
Spokes: 14G STAINLESS STEEL
Tires: IRC MYTHOSXC 26x2.1''
Drivetrain
Speed: 27
Shifters: SHIMANO DEORE SL-M511
Front Derailleur: SHIMANO ALIVIO FD-M410
Rear Derailleur: SHIMANO DEORE RD-M511
Crankset: TRUVATIV ISOFLOW, 175MM
Cassete: SRAM PG950, 34-11T, 9 SPEED
Chain: SIMANO CN-HG73
Pedals: ALLOY PLATFORM
Components
Saddle: WTB PURE V SPORT
Seat Post: SP65 ALLOY ADJUST 30.8X350, QUICK RELEASE
Handlebar: MTB ÐAL ALLOY 600MM
Stem: MA - ALLOY 105MM
Grips: WTB MOTO W175
Breakset: HAYES MX2 MECHANICAL, 6'' ROTORS
Brake Levers: TEKTRO MT30 ALLOY
Extras: CATEYE REFLECTOR SET, WATER BOTTLE MOUNTS, STORAGE RACK & FENDER MOUNTS
*Stand Over Height is measured from the ground to the center of the top tube of the bicycle.

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
take it up with Target, not me

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html?ie=UTF8&frombrowse=1&asin=B000E3YYJG

The Forge Sawback 5xx offers an awesome ride on both dirt trails and refined bike paths. Front suspension, dual disk brakes and a lightweight aluminum frame with dual-beam support provide superb stability, control, power and responsiveness. The hardtail design helps you take on any climb with a strong, durable, rigid body structure. Dependable, versatile and stylish, the Forge Sawback 5xx is perfect for trails, dirt roads or bike paths.

Hmmnnnnnnn, one must wonder what "dual beam support" means.

Read up on their website, I have no idea where your specs came from.

I'm not about to enter into a p1ssing contest as you obviously are biased as an owner.

Hope you enjoy it.

Jim

·
Registered
22 Posts
JimC. said:
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html?ie=UTF8&frombrowse=1&asin=B000E3YYJG

The Forge Sawback 5xx offers an awesome ride on both dirt trails and refined bike paths. Front suspension, dual disk brakes and a lightweight aluminum frame with dual-beam support provide superb stability, control, power and responsiveness. The hardtail design helps you take on any climb with a strong, durable, rigid body structure. Dependable, versatile and stylish, the Forge Sawback 5xx is perfect for trails, dirt roads or bike paths.

Hmmnnnnnnn, one must wonder what "dual beam support" means.

Read up on their website, I have no idea where your specs came from.

I'm not about to enter into a p1ssing contest as you obviously are biased as an owner.

Hope you enjoy it.

Jim
My Quote is from the manufactures website... not Target, which I admit, is not the best place for advice on a Bike. Like I said, it's a trade-off in this case.

www.forgebikes.com is the manufacture's website. Click on the support tab on top and select "specs" for the full specs on their bikes.

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
well then

it doesn't look too bad actually. I think the fork is non- adjustable, and at 80mm is XC oriented. If one shopped hard for a fork on sale that might be a good upgrade if needed.

good luck with it, Jim

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.