Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Just got my new B-27 RSR. Beautiful bike! It went together seemingly without a hitch so at least I can see it.

But . . . I'm having trouble with the Avid BB-5 brakes. The rear brake was rubbing, and I was able to correct that by following the instructions at the SRAM website (also I think Ibex has the same procedure). Had to do the procedure a couple of times, but it finally feels right and doesn't rub.
http://www.sram.com/_media/techdocs/2006_BB5and7_English.pdf

The front brake is unacceptable though. No matter how many times I try to adjust it, the only way to avoid rubbing is to back the pad out so far that the brake doesn't engage. Any ideas on what to do?

Thing is, I went with Ibex because I didn't trust the LBS (closest to me by about 20 minutes) to give me good service. Sure enough, I called them to see if they could adjust the brake and they wanted to make an appointment . . . 10 days from now. Pretty sure I called that one right.

However, Ibex hasn't replied to my email, and they haven't answered their phone today either. Anyone have an idea on what to do to adjust the front brake better. Bike is unrideable, and I'm leaving on a camping trip in about 6 hours!

Thanks!

·
Registered
58 Posts
The front wheel may be clamped in the fork dropouts a little crooked. Open the quick release and make sure the wheel is securly seated in the slots on on the fork, and then tighten up the quick release.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Centering the rotor

Bear with me on this, as it's difficult to explain, and the procedure might take two people.

*EDIT* Nevermind, what I was going to suggest was covered in the Avid instructions. D'OH!

Enjoy the bike. I have the older version of this bike (B-24), and just finished putting a new wheelset on mine. The bike is now totally customized. I'll post pics soon. Have fun camping this weekend!

Bob

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all. I get one more chance to fix this before I have to leave . . .otherwise, the bike doesn't get ridden until Sunday/Monday.

Just got a reply from Will at Ibex with instructs on how to fix a warped rotor should that be the problem. Removing and replacing the front wheel seems to have helped but there's still some rubbing. I look through the caliper, and I can see that the pads are not parallel to the rotor in there. I'll try the standard adjustment a couple more times before I try to straigten the rotor.

Thanks again . . . I'll put up a pic once it's 100% ready to roll.

Good weekend all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.