Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of buying a Niner Rip 9. I comes with stans flow wheels on stans hubs. I cannot seem to find the spec of the hub (prawls, how many point of engagement etc). I am thinking of upgrading the wheels out of the box if it is worth it. I am looking at Industry nine trail wheel 24's and maybe a DT swiss wheel. I think my budget would be at the $1200 or less area. I do have a local guy that can get me a set of I9's for about $850. I weigh 170lbs with gear. I ride XC to light AM trails. To this point I have not had issues with damaging my Duster or Rhythm pro wheels (non carbons). I would consider myself a smooth rider. I figure I can sell the Stans and reduce my cost of an upgrade if I don't use them. Or could I just get a set of hubs (I9's 32h example) and have them relaced (need new spokes because of length?)

Thoughts?

·
mtbpete
1,304 Posts
The Stan's hubs are 30 points of engagement 360/30 = 12 deg of engagement. I9's are 3 deg (unless you remove every other pawl then they're 6). Chris King's are 5 deg.

You would need new spokes. The Flow's are great rims, but it's not worth taking those wheels apart to switch the hubs. You're better off selling them and getting a new set of wheels built with the exact parts that you want. You can really get a great set of wheels for your budget!

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is the approximate value of a new take off set of Stans flow's?

How are the DT Swiss 350 hubs? Specs on those?

·
mtbpete
1,304 Posts
The best way to asses the value is to see what they're going for on Ebay. If yours are in excellent condition compare ebay prices to the retail price on Stan's website.

The DT 350 hubs are very good hubs. Out of the box though, the hubs have only 20 deg of engagement with their 18 point ratchet. You can upgrade these to 10 deg of engagement with the 36 tooth ratchet, but that will add $80 plus. Quick engagement is often based on user preference. 12 deg is pretty good and 10 deg is generally good enough for most riders.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I assume the DT240's are a lesser hub?

Thank you for the input. It seems the I9's are a really good hub. Maybe over the top for me.

·
Formerly of Kent
12,347 Posts

Thank you for the input. It seems the I9's are a really good hub. Maybe over the top for me.
DT 240s will be on the bikes of 3 of 5, or more, podium finishers at each XC World Cup race this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
60 Posts
If you're looking to have the stiffest wheel possible, the I-9 system wheels are the way to go. The rims are stiff, wide and tubeless ready.
Going with the J-bend would give you far more rim options without sacrificing freehub engagement.
Once you've experienced instant engagement, you won't go back! It make's a huge difference on the techy stuff.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts

If by lesser you mean lighter...yes. The 240 uses better bearings, a more machined hub shell, and is Swiss made. The 350 is the same basic design but lesser bearings, less machining, and Asian made.

New Stan's wheelsets run around $600 or less with the Stans hubs, so take-off resale value should around 25% less in like new condition.

I would also add Hope Pro 2 Evo hubs in the mix. 40 poe is usually plenty for most riders and they are bomber as well as convertible to practically every axle standard. They are in the same price range as the DT 350.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rim width?

My current "trail" rims have an internal width of about 22mm. The stans flow is about 25mm. Does that equal a plusher ride? Advantages and disadvantages of wider rims? I have no plans of a wider tire than 2.35.

·
Chris Bling
2,585 Posts
I have personally have had a set of King hubs since 2006 and they still roll and engage as good as they did the day I first rode them. I have had them laced to different rims on countless bikes. As far as long term reliability, quick engagement, customer service and the bling factor, the Kings take the cake IMO. i9's are a good looking, fast engaging hubs, but I have read several long term reviews about how they do not hold up over time. On each occasion, i9 has taken care of the customer which is great, but still......

If it was me with your budget, I would be looking at a set of King hubs laced to a WTB KOM rims (23mm internal width and 440 grams). Wider than the Arch ex and lighter. Not quite as light as carbon, but hundreds less. And you would still have money left in your budget to tires and maybe a new cassette. I have built some for local XTerra racers and they love how stiff/light/strong they are.

Also tubeless

1 - 11 of 11 Posts