Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little extra info:

I have a 2008 Norco Fluid LT3, 6" rear, Marz. 55r fork
Also have a 2006 Brodie Nemesis : http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=360297&highlight=brodie+nemesis

The Nemesis has a Fox 36 Talas on it.

I just bought a Chromag Stylus, which can run 3-7" forks. I also bought a Manitou Minute air fork, 140mm thru axle. The minute has travel adjust, 100-140mm

I figure I will ride the Norco or the Chromag most, with the Nemesis getting the fun stuff on occasion - I may sell the Nemesis as well. If it gets sold it will have the 55 on it.

I am wondering if I want to leave the 55 on the Norco, and run the Manitou on the Nemesis. this will give it the correct A-C height for stock numbers, and lighten it by a lb.

Then run the Fox on the Stylus for 4-6" of front suspension...

Or I can leave the Brodie and run the Minute on the Stylus.. I lose about ~30mm in a-c height from the talas at unsagged height.

Stylus geo here:

http://chromagbikes.com/products_stylus.html

What should I do?

·
Registered
387 Posts
i have a samurai, the geo of which is pretty close to the stylus. 130/40 mm of travel seems to be the sweet spot. less travel and technical climbing becomes a pain, though handling becomes snappier. more travel and the geometry becomes too slacked out - dh style - and the ride kind of suffers in all but the gnarliest descents. if you will be using it for ups and downs, xc type stuff, go with the minute. if you are going gnarlier/hucking, go with the talas. ian's got a lyric 2step on his "big hit" stylus and seems to like it.

kinda seems like you've got three of the same bike.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
boomforeal said:
i have a samurai, the geo of which is pretty close to the stylus. 130/40 mm of travel seems to be the sweet spot. less travel and technical climbing becomes a pain, though handling becomes snappier. more travel and the geometry becomes too slacked out - dh style - and the ride kind of suffers in all but the gnarliest descents. if you will be using it for ups and downs, xc type stuff, go with the minute. if you are going gnarlier/hucking, go with the talas. ian's got a lyric 2step on his "big hit" stylus and seems to like it.

kinda seems like you've got three of the same bike.
Three of the same bike is what I want to avoid. I really bought the Norco with the intention of runing a Talas on it as well, giving me a ~31-33 lb AM bike, and the Brodie as a heavier "free ride light"

It does sometimes seem that they are heading the same direction, but the Brodie is built up to 37lbs or so, and its really a short travel free ride bike. The Norco is the FS all around bike, and I think I will build the Stylus as a "light" all around bike. I think I may run the same headset on all bikes so I can switch around if I want to,

Im hoping to get the Stylus to about 28lbs in ready to rock form, and that pound from the fork will help alot..

Thanks for the reply, others feel free to chime in

·
Registered
387 Posts
what can you tell me about your fluid - how do you like it? i just picked up a new 2008 fluid frame on the too-cheap-to-pass-up, with the intention of swapping the parts from my samurai. i love my chromag, but am sticking my toe back into the fs pond to see if i feel any less beat up after a day of long riding. the fluid seems pretty close to the samurai - but with a rear shock, of course.

good luck with the stylus build - that's a heavy ass frame.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like the fluid, but I am pretty paticular about geometry. rides well, pedals Ok, as to be expected with a FSR. Mine has the DHX 3.0 shock, and while it is decent, its not wow-ing me yet. I am still trying to find the sweet spot.

The Stylus is a heavy frame, but Im a big guy. Plus, the 23.5 TT is a huge point for me, and the ablity to run a 160mm fork was important. Also, I like a bit higher BB, so it works well for me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.