Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
EDR
10,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just ordered this tonight. KS i950 adjustable post. Any local riders sporting one of these? I'd like to hear some first hand opinions on it. I got a very nice deal from Kris at Go-Ride. I found some great deals on the Joplin (under $150 shipped) but I read too many reports of a wobbly interface and I didn't want any part of that. Gravity Dropper seems to come in 27.2 only and then you use shims...also a no-go for me.

Anyhow, I'm kinda stoked. Haven't ordered anything cool for my bike in a long long time. I figure I can offset the weight when I wear out my ridiculously heavy (1100g+) Geax UST tire and replace it with something more reasonable, lol.

Attachments

·
Kathleen in AZ
5,178 Posts
I have both the Kind Shock i900 remote and non-remote. They have no play but they also take forever to wear in. With the one with the lever under the saddle, I pretty much have to come to a complete stop to get the thing to go down. Up is easier. I'll be curious to hear if the i950 is any better! I do love that they have 5" of drop, way more than the Joplin 3".

·
EDR
10,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DurtGurl said:
I have both the Kind Shock i900 remote and non-remote. They have no play but they also take forever to wear in. With the one with the lever under the saddle, I pretty much have to come to a complete stop to get the thing to go down. Up is easier. I'll be curious to hear if the i950 is any better! I do love that they have 5" of drop, way more than the Joplin 3".
Ya know, I read some other posts saying it is tight at first. Does it get better???? Have you tried a good grease to help it out? If I have to come to a stop it pretty much removes the whole point of the thing, arghh.

I ordered the lever action one just because I'm not a huge fan of more stuff on my bars. The 5'' drop is overkill for me and my bike but the shorter post is not available now for the 950...and I only went with the 950 b/c it has a 2 bolt seat clamp as opposed to a single bolt.

·
Powered by ice cream.
6,356 Posts
eatdrinkride said:
Gravity Dropper seems to come in 27.2 only and then you use shims...also a no-go for me.
GD is best on the market IMO. The shims have been a non-issue for me.

·
EDR
10,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Enel said:
GD is best on the market IMO. The shims have been a non-issue for me.
Have you used the KS (for a direct comparison?)

I debated long and hard (too hard) on what to get. Some locals reported the seat clamp moving during landings on the GD, the Joplin has reports of a wobble and the KS has reports (now) of being difficult to move. Every expensive mtb item seems to have it's faults. Here's hoping for the best...I did get a very good price on it, maybe $100 less then a GD.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I've been rocking the Joplin Seatpost and it isn't all that bad - really like it actually. //g

·
Registered
347 Posts
Seat post

Been riding a Gd for bout 4 years now. Been the best component I have ever bought It improves the ride that much.
With a adjustable seat post it totally changes how you ride. You Should get the handlebar mount that way you wont have to take a hand off the bars which means you well use it more. The wiggle in GD post you really don't feel when your riding but hey you all ready order this one have fun with would love to hear how it works out and how much you use it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I've had both the Joplin and now have the GD and the joplin was a piece IMO the GD seems to be solid even with shims. I ride with a guy who has the KS 950 remote and he says its the best around I have just yet to give it a try.

·
Kathleen in AZ
5,178 Posts
eatdrinkride said:
Ya know, I read some other posts saying it is tight at first. Does it get better???? Have you tried a good grease to help it out? If I have to come to a stop it pretty much removes the whole point of the thing, arghh.

I ordered the lever action one just because I'm not a huge fan of more stuff on my bars. The 5'' drop is overkill for me and my bike but the shorter post is not available now for the 950...and I only went with the 950 b/c it has a 2 bolt seat clamp as opposed to a single bolt.
I also have the Maverick Speedball which is now called the Joplin. I have never owned a GD. The Speedball has been the best working of my posts but it has also had the most problems - the seatclamp is awful and will come loose. The innards of the post have to be lubed and rebuilt on a very regular basis. I don't think that Crank Brothers has changed anything so I imagine that the Joplin will suffer the same issues. Oh, and it has huge side-to-side play which honestly has never bothered me but others hate it. So the KS has fixed the side-to-side play issue, but I think this is why the KS posts are also so hard to depress... no side play means a tighter fit, which means you really have to grunt and push and use leverage to get the thing to lower.... and if you have the lever version then you are doing this all while grabbing at your crotch. Try riding a tough section with one hand off the bars - disaster waiting to happen! But the problem with the remote is that it must be anchored very tightly to your bar and in a crash, it breaks very easily. To answer your earlier question... yes, my KS posts have loosened up with use since I've had them since spring '09. But not enough. It's still a battle to get it them work.

·
It's a slugfest!
742 Posts
+1 on the GD. Ordered mine with a "left switch" bar mount. Not a lot going on on the left side of my bars in direct comparison to the right.... Not having to remove hands from bars is priceless. No side to side play for me, but there is just a tad bit of play in the extended mode that I have just become accustomed to. Parts are easily replaceable, but I've had mine for over a year with zero issues....

·
No Clue Crew
7,355 Posts
None of the posts are perfect, but all will change your riding for the better.

I've had a couple GD posts previously. I think they look terrible and I don't like the remote, but the post action is near-perfect. I now run the Specialized Command Post and it's awesome. Almost no wobble, looks nice and a very good remote.

·
Nothing can stop me now
1,045 Posts
+1 on the positives of the Gravity Dropper with remote.

In addition their customer service is fantastic. I have broken the one on my 5-spot twice (one time that ended a ride) and they have shipped me out the broken piece the next day.
This to me is the most important quality in most of equipment. What the company does for me when it breaks as stuff breaks when you ride at South Mountain alot.

It does look kinda dorky, but I am seldom looking at it while I am riding.... of course I ride with a nosepiece to prevent sunburn on my beak so I already look dorky...

Bob

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
another +1 for the gd. i've got 3+ years on my original gd remote (non turbo) on 3 different bikes and only just had to replace the slider mechanism and that was only from wear of pushing the magnets in and out to replace the cable, not the actual part wearing from use.

it's 100% serviceable in my garage with common tools and super easy to do. no issues with the shim for larger seat tubes.

·
EDR
10,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm gonna call back before they ship my order and get the remote version of the 950. Sounds like I'll use it more, or it will be easier to use with a bar mount remote. I was just diggin the clean looks of the lever action one, and didn't want to have to fuss with broken remote levers in the future, but it seems the pro's will outweigh the cons...as far as the remote goes.

I'll post back my thoughts on the 950 when I get it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I'm really interested in the KS as well.

How much 'buffer room' do you need for the adjust collar and the top of the mount? My current Thompson has about 7.5" between top of my quick release and the start of the seat clamp... I'd really like the 5", just want to make sure i have enough room.

·
EDR
10,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
cramey said:
I'm really interested in the KS as well.

How much 'buffer room' do you need for the adjust collar and the top of the mount? My current Thompson has about 7.5" between top of my quick release and the start of the seat clamp... I'd really like the 5", just want to make sure i have enough room.
My Thomson has right at 8'' when fully extended and that will be way more than enough, I'd bet5.5 to 6'' is all that is needed.

**FWIW I just noticed Jenson has the GD with remote for $220 for anyone interested. 3'' and 4'' options, not the turbo version though, whatever that is.

·