Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So after pondering over purchasing a single speed, i decided on a 1x1. Very cool bike, the shop I dealt with had a used one already built up but i decided to opt for new one cuz my b-day was coming up.

I explained to them what i wanted the end product to be and what it was gonna be used for specifically. I want a fat-ass tired winter trail bike (not for street commuting) and in the summer it was gonna be used as a screwing around at the sk8 park kinda bike. i also wanted it to look sharp too boot (somewhat matching colors). Im still learning about the endless number of spec combinations and I really relied on them to help me out along the way. my one gripe was that I wanted 2.5'' tires for the massive volume and traction, no problem, theyll take 2-5 business days i was told, everything else was in and ready to go. After 5 days of not hearing nothing and not being able to wait any longer i began calling on a daily basis, no no no, I believe 9 days later they showed up, thank god. They tossed them on the bike, good to go, not so fast, upon closer inspection me (the rookie who doesnt work at a bike shop) realizes that they sent the 2.3's instead of the 2.5's. So i head back and tell them, the owner now jumps on the case and tells me that these r better anywhoo for the winter riding Im doing. I took his word for it and got him to throw in a set of summer tires for a good price just cuz all the grief. I brought the bike home and hopped on for its maiden voyage, disaster. The first turn of the crank, the rear wheel wrenches itself so crooked that it bent the bb5 brake rotor. So I limped it back to the shop (who claims to have sold lots of these) where they bent back the rotor and re-assesed the axle situation. So they give it back to me and off i go. About twenty minutes into my ride that eve, the same thing happens, wheel crooked as a cop. So i take it back and receive some b.s. story of why it happened, whatever, just make it right. So now I have the bike back and its working good. Unfortunately the 2.3's arent up to snuff and im starting to realize that the owner instead of trying to recommend a good tire option just didnt wanna deal with ordering a new set and just wanted me outta the store. Not to mention the stem/seat-post/seat that the store decided to use were all so crappy and horrendous looking that my buddy at a competing store hooked me up with nicer stuff for FREE just cuz he felt bad. What a disaster! I purchased the ss for its simplicity and it turns out being more of a headache then anything else.

I feel kinda like silly even going back but I kinda want to ask for a new set of rotors for the bike and a smoking deal on the 2.5's that i was talked out of. am i being too much here or what? I just want the bike I originally wanted.

p.s. not all cops r crooked

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
jibber jabber

Too boot they made me feel like i was a poser who was never gonna actually ride the bike. Ive in fact purchased 3 bikes this year with none them being less then a grand (not the point) and actually bought a cross check frame off that particular shop 3mnths prior.......and i convinced my bro to buy a $2000 road bike too boot. meaning, im a good customer to have (i wont buy things online cuz Im oldschool). Its t2 bad cuz i'm already considering a karate monkey build soon-ish.
Shoulda known better......

If your reading this, give me a call and explain how ur gonna remedy the sitch and win back a good customer. Im very reasonable but just not that patient.;)

rant rant rant..... i know

·
Welcome to the Gem...
813 Posts
i think they should have gotten the 2.5's for you. the rear axle should have been tightened and some surly tug nuts put on there to keep you from kinking it.

as for the shitty looking parts... maybe the people that built it thought it looked nice? can't criticize them for that. cheers to you for going to a bike shop and having them build you something though. i like to pick all my own parts and put it all together myself... /shrug.

good luck with those guys though...

·
Registered
503 Posts
Cygnus said:
purchased 3 bikes/year ?

i'd recommend taking control and buying a frame, like the 1x1, and building it up with parts and tires that you want.
Not the point. Im all about ordring online and doing **** myself but he is supporting his LBS, which we all know is cool.

I say give that store hell and milk em for every penny you can, how bad was the rotor bent? if it was bad they should have replaced it. I would go back to the shop that gave you free stuff from now on.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
tools aint cheap

I proudly support my local bike shops, mostly because i find them to be a huge source of knowledge. Also, bikes shops are a pleasant place to visit where everyone shares the same interest, they're almost becoming boutique-ish. And sometimes I just wanna talk bikes! The guitar world is the same.
When talking building the bike....well Im not the best with bike tools in my hand. Tho, Im not the worst but Id forsure f a few things up during the process (i also spent the tool money on the bike).
Its just when you spend your hard earned bread and wait what feels like too-long, when you finally get it......its not what youd chosen and waited for (tires) and it breaks down on you....twice....within 24hrs no less. Huh, im starting to think I should have now built it myself.;)
If I bought a new car and it needed the driveshaft replaced twice within 24hrs, Id get my money back and tell the dealer to stick it up his a**!

its a shame

·
Jam Econo
4,213 Posts
Could be 2.5's were out of stock with their distributors, and they honestly tried to find you the best tires for the application. When an item like tires is out of stock, it can take months before they are available. Sometimes the shop will get an expected delivery date that is incorrect as well.
They might have been giving you the run around, but calling everyday you were being a pest, IMO.
If you have a buddy who works at a shop, why didn't you go to him first?
As for your wheel slipping, are you using a quick release? If so if you're not using a chain tug, you should. I don't need a chain tug when I use a bolt on wheel, but you might need to (if that's the case).
Good luck. I hope you get everything sorted out.

FWIW, one of my favorite Winter tires (favorite 26" period) is the WTB Mutanoraptor 2.4.

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
17,064 Posts
OP: This is what happens when we ask others to make decisions on our behalf. They choose what they like or have in stock and because they're making decisions for what goes on your bike and not their own, they compromise whenever they can (like putting on tires they have in stock instead of the ones you asked for). They're not malicious, they simply think, "close enough."

I'm not saying this is right, only that this is the way it is.

The lesson here is DIY. As for leaving the shop with different components / tires whatever than you specified, that is something you should have looked at before you crossed the threshold when leaving the shop.

The one place I think you've got them is the loose axle / bent rotor thing. I don't know how bad the rotor is, but a kinked rotor simply cannot be fixed -- they must be replaced. That said, I've straightened many rotors that had mild bends in them.

Bikes aren't cars, and maybe that's too bad, but I can tell you that anyone who purchases high level bike equipment is expected to know virtually as much about it as those who sell it. Not saying you don't, but it sounds like you more or less handed them your plastic, grabbed the bike and took off. Sorry if that sounds harsh. Me? I would have nit picked that thing to death before taking possession. Voice of experience, I guess.

Good luck.

--Sparty

·
Registered
9 Posts
While I am not sticking up for the shops oversight on tightening the rear bolts enough, the rest is on you. You didnt have to take the 2.3s and you accepted the deal. Time to move on.

As for tools...if you are serious you need to learn. the vast majority of the bike can be put together with a set of hex keys a torque wrench and a tube of grease.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dont get me wrong, i fully understand the situation. I am the one who paid and walked out with the bike with the tires i agreed to have. Ill admit maybe my research wasnt thorough enuff and i should not have left anything up to the lbs. I had just figured my requests were simple enuff.
As far as having hex tools and all that, Ive got them and I looking forward to becoming a master single speed mechanic in no time. But for this to happen on its initial ride, twice no less, it doesnt matter how savvy you are with tools, when the bike comes out of the store it should hold up for a least.......an hour maybe two. Thats not asking too much, is it? If your telling me that after you have a bike shop build your bike and it derails within the first 20mins and then happens again and your fine with that, we have a different outlook on things.

This is more of a rant, Im not trying to bash the store. I just wanna get vent about the situation.

·
is buachail foighneach me
6,589 Posts
I'm thinking they would want to try to make it right with you. Shops don't like loosing proven repeat customers. You certainly seem like you can approach it with patience and a level head.

What were the specific tires you requested versus the ones they put on there?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Schwalbe muddy mary's 2.3 vs. 2.5's. the 2.5's according to that tire spec site says they have a actua treadl measurement of 2.67'', how killer would those babies be for snow!! The 2.3's certainly work decent but just imagine the volume and low pressures those 2.5's provide. They'll be a bitslower but they should have endless traction.
As well Im talking -35 and serious snow, i aint talking a miami florida winter! And keep in mind im planning on riding on xc ski trails and such, not downtown commuting where skinny studs are required.
I just dont like how there trying to wash there hands of it and not trying to work out the bugs with me, Im reasonable and am willing put down some money if need be. some follow-up would be nice.

·
Hairshirt Rider
1,881 Posts
If you are a girl, you just want to rant and don't want any advice. I sympathize and here is a great big E hug. :D

If you want advice and you aren't so pissed you can't walk back into the shop here's what you ask the shop owner to do for you.

Sounds like you need a a chain tug. They should order one for you (you pay for the part) and they install it for free and show you how it works.

Like Sparty mentioned, they replace the rotor with a new one if it isn't running really, really straight.

Tell them you took it on their advice they would the 2.3 tires would do, but they aren't working out for you, You want the 2.5s you originally ordered. Let the shop owner tell you what he'll do for you. I think a smoking deal on the 2.5s installed at no charge is in order - free would be better, but you say you got a good deal on the extra set of tires so I think this would be a wash.

The seat and controls are your bad.

My advice assumes you are giving us the whole story and the shop has fallen short.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.