Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm sure you get sick of posts like these, but I'd like to get suggestions for a new mountain bike if you don't mind.

I'm looking for a basic entry level bike under $500 dollars- I'm recovering from a pretty bad back injury, so I don't know if I will enjoy riding as much as I used to. I haven't bought a bike in so long, I don't know which make/model would suit me best.

background: weekend warrior, moderate off-road or paved trails. Front suspension desired. I'm 6" tall and weigh 150 pounds, I think my last bike was 21". The lighter the better, as I stuff my bike into the back of my car when I go to the bike trails.

consumer reports had good things to say about the following bikes: Specialized Rockhopper > Trek 4500 > Gary Fisher Marlin.

Can anyone post their 2-cents please?

·
Registered
65 Posts
WAREHOUSE said:
Hey guys, I'm sure you get sick of posts like these, but I'd like to get suggestions for a new mountain bike if you don't mind.

I'm looking for a basic entry level bike under $500 dollars- I'm recovering from a pretty bad back injury, so I don't know if I will enjoy riding as much as I used to. I haven't bought a bike in so long, I don't know which make/model would suit me best.

background: weekend warrior, moderate off-road or paved trails. Front suspension desired. I'm 6" tall and weigh 150 pounds, I think my last bike was 21". The lighter the better, as I stuff my bike into the back of my car when I go to the bike trails.

consumer reports had good things to say about the following bikes: Specialized Rockhopper > Trek 4500 > Gary Fisher Marlin.

Can anyone post their 2-cents please?
id check out the kona firemountain or raleigh

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wow thanks, that's a fine looking bike compared to my 8 year-old beat up specialized clunker!

Is there are rule to sizes? I always felt like my bike was too big :) Maybe a quick trip down to a local bike shop can help me find a size though. I'm leaning towards a 19" frame this time.

·
Registered
138 Posts
WAREHOUSE said:
wow thanks, that's a fine looking bike compared to my 8 year-old beat up specialized clunker!

Is there are rule to sizes? I always felt like my bike was too big :) Maybe a quick trip down to a local bike shop can help me find a size though. I'm leaning towards a 19" frame this time.
Definitely head to your LBS. They'll be able to fit you much better. They should also at the very least allow you to take it for a spin around the lot. It won't give you a definite answer, but you'll know if something is really too big/too small. I'd guess that about a 19" would be correct for you, but bikes have a wide variety of geometries. Riding them is the best barometer.

For under $500, you might also wanna check the used market. There are some killer deals via ebay and craigslist if you're patient. Each of those bikes you listed are great intro-level bikes. The Forge 5xx may also be a good choice. Motobecane (via bikesdirect.com) offers some interesting bikes. Some of them have outdated designs, but carry great components. Of course, you don't get the benefit of trying them out, which might be a big problem and you have the possible problem of damage during shipping.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks a ton for your replies guys, I checked Craigslist and saw quite a few used bikes that look nice...but I'm always nervous that the guy selling it was pretty hard on the bike and now wants to sell it before it dies!
I found a 10% off coupon for Target, so I think I'm going to buy the Forge 5xxx 19" bike and see how it goes. ($379 originally -38 bucks.) I think I can assemble it, if not I'll just take it to a bike shop and let them laugh at me. :)

thanks again for the replies.

·
Registered
138 Posts
WAREHOUSE said:
http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/bik/957214776.html

can anyone give me their 2 cents on this guy's bike??? it was one I found on craigslist.
It's a good bike, but that price is too steep for a now 10 year old bike. Not only that, but those components have got to be nearing the end of their life, even with the small upgrades he's done to it.

I definitely wouldn't recommend it. Any newer Hardrock would be a great bike though. They have long been a solid entry-level bike via Specialized.

I'd still stick with the Forge over that old Hardrock.

·
Registered
4 Posts
WAREHOUSE said:
Thanks a ton for your replies guys, I checked Craigslist and saw quite a few used bikes that look nice...but I'm always nervous that the guy selling it was pretty hard on the bike and now wants to sell it before it dies!
I found a 10% off coupon for Target, so I think I'm going to buy the Forge 5xxx 19" bike and see how it goes. ($379 originally -38 bucks.) I think I can assemble it, if not I'll just take it to a bike shop and let them laugh at me. :)

thanks again for the replies.
Where did you find the 10% off coupon from Target? Can you post a link or the coupon code please!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
net wurker said:
Dude, I'm not callin' you fat or anything, but 150 pounds is pretty heavy for someone who is only six inches tall.
LOL!!! well played net wurker, well played...

(I got the 10% off coupon from an Entertainment Book. You can order a book for 15 bucks and it comes with coupons for just about everything.)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.