Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I picked up my brand new, special ordered, Trek Stache 9.6 from my LBS on Friday afternoon. Due to other Christmas related tasks I didn't have a good chance to look it over until the following day, Christmas eve. When I was going over all the bolts and peeling warning stickers I noticed small tears (1cm) and abrasions on the rubber downtube/BB guard. One of the tears was completely through to the frame underneath, and it looks like the finish, or maybe more, might be damaged. I haven't removed the entire guard yet as I'm waiting to do that at the shop tomorrow. The shop had the bike displayed on a Topeak Prepstand Max workstand for a couple of weeks before I could pick it up, and to me it seems like the likely culprit.

https://www.topeak.com/global/en/products/repair-stands/260-prepstand--max

I'll be going to the shop tomorrow to see the extent of the damage and what can be done. I'm hoping the damage is just to the stick on rubber and not the paint/carbon. If that's the case I'll ask for a new replacement rubber guard.
If the frame is damaged I'm not sure what I should ask for. I don't like the idea of my brand new $2k carbon frame being dinged up and I don't want this to screw up any future warranty issues that could arise.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
If the frame is damaged in any way and you didn't cause the damage and you didn't ride it, ask for an exchange. The shop is pretty much obligated. Simple stuff.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Any shop worth it's mettle with warranty that instantly. I just took delivery of my Ibis Ripley and as I've ridden the bike a couple of times I've felt a tad squished in my cockpit. I asked to swap out the 60mm stem to an 80mm - no problem, no charge. Seeing as yours is a 9.6....high up in the model range and costs a pretty penny, there should be no issues at all with warrantying the frame if there truly is damage to it. In the age of Online reviews and social media I'm sure the last thing they would want is any negative press.

I'd even go up to the stand they put it up on and see if there is some paint or chips from your bike to prove that the stand might be the culprit. Good luck and I'm sure it will work out!

·
Elitest thrill junkie
36,041 Posts
Protect yourself and treat this like a legal matter, take pictures of the damage, make videos, take pictures of the stand, pictures of your receipt and the serial number on the bike, write down who you talk to at the sop, the date and what they say. When they get a smell that you are protecting yourself, they'll usually straighten out real fast. If not, send them a registered mail letter with return receipt where you specify the necessity of a response within 10 days or whatever. Then when you got to small claims, you have a slam dunk case. Not that it'll come to that, but sometimes you have to act like it will come to that.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Good idea on waiting to look until the shop guys pull off the guard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Another idea is that if the frame is damaged and it's only cosmetic, complain about it, but keep it in exchange for store credit (your choice how much). They should go for that (assuming you're reasonable) because otherwise they're stuck trying to sell a damaged frame.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Another idea is that if the frame is damaged and it's only cosmetic, complain about it, but keep it in exchange for store credit (your choice how much). They should go for that (assuming you're reasonable) because otherwise they're stuck trying to sell a damaged frame.
I'm not sure a shop would do that. Replacing a bike through warranty would be cheaper for the shop. I'm pretty sure even if the shop accidentally damaged the frame they would be able to send it back for a new one...maybe a slight fee but I dunno about getting store credit.

I guess it won't hurt to try tho.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the comments and ideas.

I took the bike in to the shop today but the owner/main man wasn't in. The kid there was genuinely concerned and took a few pictures and emailed them to the owner. We tried the frame on the suspect work stand but the damage didn't really line up with any of the contact points. I'll stop by again tomorrow when he's in to discuss the damage and what to do.

·
Registered
520 Posts

I took the bike in to the shop today but the owner/main man wasn't in. The kid there was genuinely concerned and took a few pictures and emailed them to the owner. We tried the frame on the suspect work stand but the damage didn't really line up with any of the contact points. I'll stop by again tomorrow when he's in to discuss the damage and what to do.
Good luck man~

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
39,574 Posts

At this point I'd bring in a forensics team. Matching the contact points between the stand and frame and maybe DNA swabbing of the mechanic and dusting for fingerprints.

·
Yeah!
1,457 Posts
I bet they find the mechanic's DNA all over the bike!

Sounds like a tool with a sharp edge was dropped while the bike was being assembled.

I would NOT approve a new build I was purchasing sitting on display, ever. People do stupid **** with the display bikes. There's a reason the rack bikes always need a quick tune before rolling out the door with a new owner.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
And now the exciting conclusion...

I took the bike into the shop today and the owner was more than helpful. We peeled off the rubber guard and found no damage to the carbon underneath. It seems like the guard did its job and saved the frame from being damaged. A quick phone call to the Trek warranty dept and I was out the door feeling very relieved. A new replacement rubber guard will be on its way to me shortly.

·
Registered
6,787 Posts

I took the bike into the shop today and the owner was more than helpful. We peeled off the rubber guard and found no damage to the carbon underneath. It seems like the guard did its job and saved the frame from being damaged. A quick phone call to the Trek warranty dept and I was out the door feeling very relieved. A new replacement rubber guard will be on its way to me shortly.
Sounds like a satisfactory conclusion.

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
39,574 Posts

And on one was inconvenienced with giving a DNA swab. Can't beat those kind of endings.:thumbsup:;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts