Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

We've got a teen who is really into mountain biking and also really into sending his bike to the shop, so, after a lot of research, we decided to get him a dirt jumper online from a manufacturer overseas. We were happy to wait for it, and were excited to finally get it in the mail. Unfortunately, this brand new bike came with deep scratches (pics attached). We took it to our local bike shop, and they said if they got a bike like that they would send it back to the manufacturer at their expense. The bike company offered us touch-up paint and a t-shirt. We told them that we didn't think a t-shirt would actually address the issue. Crickets since then.

What do you all think? What would you do?

Thanks for your advice!

Attachments

·
since 4/10/2009
32,007 Posts
wtf do you think the shop (that you didn't buy the bike from) should do?

it's not like paint booths are standard bike shop fare. they offered you more, imo, than they need to offer you. the shop basically gave you your options. send it back to the place that shipped it to you, or address the fouled paint yourself.

could take the opportunity to give it a really rad paint job, but that won't be a cheap fix.

·
Registered
752 Posts
wtf do you think the shop (that you didn't buy the bike from) should do?

it's not like paint booths are standard bike shop fare. they offered you more, imo, than they need to offer you. the shop basically gave you your options. send it back to the place that shipped it to you, or address the fouled paint yourself.

could take the opportunity to give it a really rad paint job, but that won't be a cheap fix.
I think he meant the company they ordered it from offered paint and a tee shirt. But I admit it's vague and I could be wrong lol.

·
since 4/10/2009
32,007 Posts
I think he meant the company they ordered it from offered paint and a tee shirt. But I admit it's vague and I could be wrong lol.
I suppose it could have meant that, too.

but even from the manufacturer - either take the paint or send it back.

I'm dealing with trying to buy a new shower enclosure for a bathroom remodel. had to reject the shower walls for the SECOND time (shipping to the nearest Lowes store). took the refund this time and I'm trying to order from a different place that sells this item in hopes that they don't keep a drunk forklift driver on staff.

·
Registered
Talentless dirt-roadie
668 Posts
If you bought it with a credit card, open a complaint. Practically speaking, I would demand some form of compensation ( like a 100% cotton t-shirt or enough money to get the frame powder-coated).

·
Registered
9,505 Posts
I suppose it could have meant that, too.

but even from the manufacturer - either take the paint or send it back.

I'm dealing with trying to buy a new shower enclosure for a bathroom remodel. had to reject the shower walls for the SECOND time (shipping to the nearest Lowes store). took the refund this time and I'm trying to order from a different place that sells this item in hopes that they don't keep a drunk forklift driver on staff.
He took to a shop for an opinion. Shop said if they received a bike in that condition it's get sent back.

The company they bought it from just offered paint and a tee-shirt. Thought it was pretty straight forward.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, this is right, it was the bike manufacturer that offered the t-shirt and paint, sorry it wasn't clear. I know it's going to be scratched up when it gets ridden but if I saw an already scratched up bike at a bike shop I wouldn't pay full retail price, so the t-shirt offer felt pretty patronizing. Apparently one of the scratches was under foam wrapping, so it clearly was there when they packed it up.

And our local bike shop has gotten a lot of business from us, don't worry. We actually brought it to them because they were going to assemble it for us.

·
Registered
631 Posts
A bad taste in the mouth is understandable, but 1) given the reality of procuring a bike these days, and 2) it's a dirt jump bike, I'd just take them up on the offer of touch-up paint. I mean, yet again... it is a dirt jump bike.

You're obviously free to do what you like... but insisting on returning it back overseas for scratches on a dirt jump bike in the midst of a bike shortage is probably one of those stories best left untold within rider circles. Eye rolls on the inside...

·
since 4/10/2009
32,007 Posts
Yes, this is right, it was the bike manufacturer that offered the t-shirt and paint, sorry it wasn't clear. I know it's going to be scratched up when it gets ridden but if I saw an already scratched up bike at a bike shop I wouldn't pay full retail price, so the t-shirt offer felt pretty patronizing.
I don't necessarily feel that it's patronizing. they're trying to help. you DID order from overseas, which introduces extra challenges when dealing with returns. namely that shipping it back can be prohibitive.

·
Registered
Lone Wolf
2,955 Posts
When you say "overseas" are you talking about a legit European company, or a knock off Chinese company? If it's a knock off Chinese company, I'd say sorry about your luck. Too many people try to save money by ordering knock off garbage and then expect American style customer service when it doesn't work out.

Not trying to be a dick, but in the realm of bicycles dirt jumpers aren't that expensive so you're just taking an unnecessary risk by ordering knock off junk.

Personally, I'd just ride it. Doesn't appear to be structural and dirt jumpers are made to be thrown around anyways.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
When you say "overseas" are you talking about a legit European company, or a knock off Chinese company? If it's a knock off Chinese company, I'd say sorry about your luck. Too many people try to save money by ordering knock off garbage and then expect American style customer service when it doesn't work out.

Not trying to be a dick, but in the realm of bicycles dirt jumpers aren't that expensive so you're just taking an unnecessary risk by ordering knock off junk.

Personally, I'd just ride it. Doesn't appear to be structural and dirt jumpers are made to be thrown around anyways.
European company. Not as expensive as his trail bike, but approximately an order of magnitude over the (overseas) shipping cost, so expected a little better.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts. Just wanted a reality check.

·
high pivot witchcraft
4,643 Posts
This is why I buy black bikes. Black sharpies are everywhere. Cream sharpies...not so much...

This would irritate me but I would not return it. Especially not now.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Maybe just get a cool set of frame protection stickers. They will pull double duty, cover the gouges and protect from future damage.

·
Registered
18 Posts
European company. Not as expensive as his trail bike, but approximately an order of magnitude over the (overseas) shipping cost, so expected a little better.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts. Just wanted a reality check.
I'd ask for a price discount - get $100 refunded. If they were selling this as a scratch and dent it would be discounted at least $100. Can't hurt to ask. That or ask for 4 t-shirts and sell them for $25 a piece.

1 - 20 of 129 Posts