Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my new Seven Duo yesterday. The frame is 11" so I was disappointed when the final bike weighed in @ 24.1. I was hoping the smaller frame would drop some weight...

See anything that would make a big difference? Oh - my LBS says my ONLY option was the Thompson Elite seatpost due to the extreme seat tube angle:

specs:
Seven Duo w/80mm rear travel
ritchey wsc carbon bar
90mm FSA OS115 stem -
xtr cranks - 165 length
SRAM X.0 rear derailleur
x.9 trigger shifters
magura marta sl brakes
717 Mavic w/Chris King hubs
Continental Explorer Pro tires
Chris King headset
Thompson Elite seatpost
Italia ldy seat
salsa skewers
xtr cassette
xtr front der
sid race fork
xpedo mag/ti pedals
salsa chile pepper grips

·
6x7=Dont Panic!
2,014 Posts
bolt on skewers and foam grips. It looks like a great build to me. Nice quality stuff indeed. You could get a syntace f99 stem as well. And the thomson masterpiece now comes in larger diameters so you could run one of those if youd like.

·
Get your freak on!
2,696 Posts
TheRedMantra said:
bolt on skewers and foam grips. It looks like a great build to me. Nice quality stuff indeed. You could get a syntace f99 stem as well. And the thomson masterpiece now comes in larger diameters so you could run one of those if youd like.
Agreed..

Maybe also grip shift, but I personally prefer the triggers:)

·
Registered
934 Posts
x9 triggers are some of the heaviest, the xo grips are lighter, just depends if you like gripshift or not. Those grips you have are also quite weighty. If you are running tubes, maybe try Stans, are your tires the supersonic, if not and you really want Contis, I believe the Explorer Supersonics are much lighter??

You could look at some light weight Maxxis tires maybe?

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
moose8500 said:
11"!!!!! how tall are you to ride on an 11" frame?

I thought that was super children size!
yeah - well I'm 4'10" a tad over 100lbs. Can't find off the shelf bikes to fit me - had to go custom on my first bike (12" Dean steel hardtail) and now this one. The standover is a little bit better on the Seven, but still not as much as I'd like. Also configured my fork for 80mm vs the 63mm on the Dean.

i'm just happy to have options! :)

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ryan123 said:
x9 triggers are some of the heaviest, the xo grips are lighter, just depends if you like gripshift or not. Those grips you have are also quite weighty. If you are running tubes, maybe try Stans, are your tires the supersonic, if not and you really want Contis, I believe the Explorer Supersonics are much lighter??

You could look at some light weight Maxxis tires maybe?
I was thinking about switching to the grip shifters...besides those trigger shifters seem a little clunky next to the brakes.

I didn't realize those grips were weighty - i just trying to match up w/my red Chris King headset and red sidi shoes!

I'm not using the Supersonics....the bike shop guy recommend them too for lighter weight..

thanks for the suggestions!

·
Registered
934 Posts
I am using the grip shifts, took some getting used to but now I am happy. I was using XT dual control and rapid fire with XTR rear b4 going sram... Couldnt be happier now...

You could also wait until June and get the new X0 triggers, REAL carbon.... and REAL EXPENSIVE!!! Dont know about their weight though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.