Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Giant Trance full suspension 26er from a few years back I have puts some miles on but not a ton... the bike still looks and rides like new. I have the opportunity to buy my brother-in-laws Spacialized Camber 29er.. I know it comes ultimately down to my choice, but Id love to hear what you guys think.

I could keep my Giant and upgrade the drivetrain (not near as good as the Camber), wheels and other parts.. save some money I guess...

Or am I just better off buying the 29er and trying to sell my trance to either re coupe some $ or buy a hardtail that I could commute in.

What are your thoughts.. I guess my thoughts are maybe this is the time to get into a 29er or is it really something I need to do.. just stick with a 26er and be happy.. ughh why cant i decide haha

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i guess a lot of it has to do with my Trance is a 2005.. and while everything works well on it, it never had the best drivetrain or wheels, etc. It had the best of what I coudl afford on a full suspension on the time. While it does its job the ride is nothign compared to the Specialized which has higher end components, etc. I just don't know if its worth upgrading my current bike since I can get into a basically new 29er full for $1200. Its hard for me because I don't NEED it. Would be different I guess if my Giant was broken and then I would be asking 27.5 or 29"... Is there anyway to find out what an old bike is worth?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Bicycle Blue Book - Used Bikes

That's a good resource for figuring out what a bike is potentially worth. Which model Camber 29er are you looking at? If it's the base model, it doesn't really have a high end drivetrain on it and the fork isn't that great.

It's your choice ultimately. At the very least, I recommend taking the Camber for a test ride. Make sure you like the 29er before investing.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I have a 2005 trance also and was asking the same questions about a month ago. My bike runs great, and I was just jonesing for another ride. Guys on the giant forum told me my suspention is the same as todays trance, just a heavier version. If you are looking for on the cheap upgrades here is my suggestion.

Bearings from enduro bearing. It makes the back end like butter. I think its like 50.00
Get the needle bearing kit for the upper part of your rear shock. With tools it was like 80.00
Right there you have refreshed the rear end for under 200.00

Drive train? I did a woof tooth front, 80.00
I could have stayed 9 but went ten. So cassette, chain, shimano slx rear der and shifter. ALl told about 200.00 Now your drive train is completely refreshed.

After that, its your choice. But an idea I saw on the 27.5 forum is using a 27.5 fork with a 26' wheel until you can afford a 27.5 wheel. Supposedly you get 80 percent of the benefits of 29'r.

I wanted a new bike, but reality in the form of a whopping huge vet bill killed my dreams. I did send my rear shock to PUSH industries and its fantastic now. Im happy riding the bike, the new beairngs make it so small bump sensitive.

Your choice, 29'rs are great. Im just telling you what I did. I only ride on average 60 days mtn a year. in nice weather only, not jumping off 8 foot drops. I was happy to keep the old bike once the new bike bug passed.
But the 1X10 drivetrain is super smooth and quiet. My best decision was trying that.

Bill

1 - 9 of 9 Posts