Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i ride an older gt tempest that has a little over 20k miles on it. i've been debating on whether to buy a new one or not every time something goes wrong with it or needs to be replaced. i like the bike quite a bit, and there's no REAL reason to get a new one, other than i don't know where to draw the line between putting new money into an old bike and just starting with a completely new one. i ride two to three times a week for a total of maybe 25-30 mountain miles, but i also ride it to work almost everyday, ten miles total per day. so i ride pretty often, but i'm a major tight-wad. i could afford any bike on earth if i were to dip into savings, but i don't want to do that. i would rather spend $500 or less on something that will get me a few more years. i've noticed my front shock (low-low end suntour from the lbs that is two years old) wiggling a bunch when i apply front brake. i think it's near the end of its life. so here're my main questions and the reason i'm posting this in the shock forum:

first, do you guys and girls recommend putting any more money into this bike, or starting fresh?

second, if you do recommend putting money into it, there's a new shock on ebay in my area (2006 manitou nixon super plus 145mm) that i could probably snag for a good deal. is it a good one? worth pursuing?

third, if that shock is a decent one, how can i find out if it will fit my bike? i feel dumb asking such a question, because i have been riding for 5 or so years on a pretty consistent basis, but i still don't know some of the basics of the components. i've just been riding and having fun. i've just recently been getting into this and other sites and educating myself about the sport.

and fourth, i've read the which bike to buy forum lots of times, and i can't get a concrete idea of what bike to buy if the verdict is to get a new one instead of re-shocking this gt tempest. here's my working list of around $500:

specialized hardrock disc
gt avalanche disc (to stay loyal to gt)
kona blast
ibex ht in this $ range
iron horse that others have been buying in this $ range

i get such mixed messages from everyone!

·
No good in rock gardens..
4,446 Posts
How old is the Tempest?

That 145mm Nixon will be too long, and make your bike handle like a pig.

If the bike is only a couple of years old, it should handle a 100mm fork no worries.

If it's a bit older, about 80mm will be right for it, wihtout slowing down the handling.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i bought the bike in 2001 from the second owner. i think it's a 98 or so. its yellow and red fading into each other. i have had to do the bottom bracket twice, with cranks, brakes twice a year, two seats, etc. those are things that i'd have to do on a newer bike too. they just wear out. this frame has just been pretty tough.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.