Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife has a 2015 Trek Lush Carbon and I am looking to get her a new/newer full suspension bike. I was leaning towards the new top fuel or fuel ex. I just found a 2018 remedy 8 wsd for sale locally. She ride mostly cross country trails and is not looking to do racing just riding with the family. Will the increased travel of the remedy be better for her to keep up when the trails get tech or just to much bike for her. I currently ride a 18 fuel ex. She has only ever ridden 1 full suspension bike and she hasn't test rode any of the bikes I mentioned. I mostly just want to know how the remedy compares to the other bikes. Thanks

·
MTBR Member since 2001...
331 Posts
Hard for us to decide this for you. Price, condition of the new bike compared to what she has now. Her experience level, etc. I like the Remedy, but prefer the component group on her Lush. Slightly older SRAM stuff is really good. Your wife doesn't sound like she's too demanding. The AF Remedy will be heavier than her carbon Lush. I don't do 120mm travel bikes any more, but its probably fine for a weekend wife warrior. If you do get the Remedy, I wouldn't part with the Lush until she gives you the green light.

·
Registered
8,282 Posts
Based on your description of her use of the bike, I think the Remedy -- a great bike -- is likely overkill. I fear she may find it tank-like for "mostly cross country trails and is not looking to do racing just riding with the family".

Of the bikes you mentioned, the top fuel seems to fit the bill. I'd also look at the Liv line of bikes, one of the few WSDs still around, with lighter suspension tuning, like the Lush had.

FWIW, my wife loves her carbon Lush. ZERO interest in replacing it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. My wife is fine with the lush. My son needs another bike and I thought it would be a good one for him to get on and get her something with updated geo. Also I know she won't be as hard a new bike as he will be.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I was in the process of typing what's below but realized the smaller sizes of the fuel come in 27.5. Knowing that now, I'd probably recommend the fuel. Rather than delete my thoughts, I left them below...

I've spent quite a bit of time on both a 29er fuel ex and a 27.5 remedy (never ridden the top fuel though). I feel that surprisingly both climb about the same when the trails are smoother, but for rough and choppy climbing I prefer the fuel for the rollover from the 29inch tires. For down hill, the remedy is awesome, but the fuel can certainly hold its own. I ended up keeping the remedy as my only mountain bike since I found myself buzzing my butt with the rear tire of the fuel on technical down hills (grew up with 26" wheels so I tend to ride really low and far back). I think the bigger thing to consider rather than the travel of the bikes, is how tall she is and if she likes 29" wheels. I think most lush's ive seen have been 26 or 27.5. If she rides a small frame, the toe overlap with a 29er might be too little and she would probably be more comfortable on the remedy just because of the smaller wheel size, but the fuel would be better for her type of riding if she doesn't mind 29ers. The fuel does really well on the downs for 130mm of travel.

·
Registered
72 Posts
How tall is your wife? Has she tried 29 vs 27.5 wheels? Mine tested a few bikes and we settled on a size small fuel in 27.5 wheels. She LOVES it. The new fuel is a really good peddler, so she can keep up easier. And not to categorize (because some female bikes could absolutely crush me) but someone in the wife category probably isn't going to be seeking super intense lines that will overwhelm her on a fuel. As always, have her test ride anything before you buy it for her!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I second the question on your wife's height. I'm a 5'2" female and I much prefer the smaller 27.5 wheels for maneuverability especially in techy stuff. I went from a Fuel Ex to a Remedy and I love the remedy, but I ride west coast and bike parks. I have done an enduro race with my Fuel when I had it and it handled just about everything fairly well, I'm faster on descents on my Remedy for obvious reasons of longer, slacker etc. but honestly it may be too much bike for just general light duty and XC trails.

·
high pivot witchcraft
6,721 Posts
For another data point, my daughter is 5’4” and went from a small 2015 27.5 alloy Process to a 2021 S2 29er carbon Stumpjumper. PRs all over the map, riding mostly western Canadian blacks (which, granted, vary in intensity depending on the region). She has not had a bad fall on the SJ and has not once commented that it’s difficult to handle in the tight stuff. I wouldn’t necessarily give up on a 29er. Speed and rollover capabilities - both up and down - especially in rocky, rooty techie $hit - the 29er wins hands down.

All IMHO/IME of course. And my daughter’s…

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
My wife is on the 2019 remedy 8. She is same height and a tiny lady.
The remedy is 30.5lbs pn 2.6" 27.5" tires. It is hillarious how much that bike can smash and my wife still thinks she is on a flat trail. It bails her out all over the place.

its down fall is weight as she is tiny. There is no way to make a big impact on weight without way too much money.

i wouldnt hesitate on a new top fuel since its light. Get the 9.9 for absolute bling and light weight.

For a best cost option get a canyon trail lux (new design). Buy the emily batty edition. As its super light.

Hope that helps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.