Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for a new bike this season and I am looking for some of your opinions. My local bike shop carry Giant and Pivot, I am looking at the Giant trance XO and the Pivot Mach 429 Carbon. Both bikes have similar component and the out the door price would be virtually the same. I do mostly trail riding in the desert and some cross country. I have ridden the pivot on a demo ride, I don't have much time on the trance. The biggest difference is the Trance has a 5" travel frame where the Pivot has 4". I am unsure which direction to go. Thank you for your opinions.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Not really helpful here.... but I just demo'd the Pivot Mach 429c and loved it so much I went out and purchased one (and the large discount helped). By the sounds of it a lighter bike will suit you better with your terrain, which would be the Pivot, but Giants bikes normally are great bikes also, so you can't go wrong with either. In short.... I think you'll have to demo.

But my green Pivot is sweet !

·
Registered
130 Posts
All else equal, I'd always go with a boutique brand over the big four. Nothing wrong with Giant (I used to ride one way back when) but I'd go with the Pivot. I just believe the quality, attention to detail, customer service, etc. will be better than what you get with one of the big brands. The fact the Mach is a gorgeous bike and will turn some heads won't hurt either...

From what you're saying it doesn't seem like you need more than 4'' of travel anyway...

·
1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
1,283 Posts
I'd go pivot, despite owning an early model trance and liking it. My feeling the pivot would be better for what you describe as xc riding. I would guess it would be more competitive if you are racing or trying to keep up with mates. A friend has one and it really climbs and descends well...at least he is a fast rider and it doesn't seem to hold him back, although he has a 26er version. Would and anthem be a better comparison?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't like the geometry of the anthem as much as the pivot or the trance. I know this is probably the wrong forum but I've never had a carbon frame so I am nervous as to how well they will hold up over time?

·
WillWorkForTrail
4,989 Posts
It's an interesting question for sure. To wit: My brother rides a Mach 429, and I ride an Anthem. Both 4" frames, his is a little slacker than mine, but that's partly because of the 120 fork he runs (I'm 100mm on the fork). While I would say the Pivot is a slightly more durable frame than my Anthem, he's still had to warranty the rear triangle a couple times because the pivots wallow out on it. When taking into account price vs performance, the Anthem is the clear winner, because there's actually not a lot of difference in the feel of the way the two bikes ride.

When you change up and start to talk about the Trance vs the Pivot, I'd say the Trance frame will be a little more sturdy, and the ride a little more plush. I think handling will actually be very similar to the Pivot. You haven't listed prices, but I'm going to assume since you're looking at a Pivot, that money may be a factor, but ultimately won't determine which bike you buy. That said, I always have a strong look at the warranty. Pivot has been good to my brother with warranty stuff, likewise, Giant has been flawless in their warranty support for me.

Final analysis? You can't lose. Get both of them out and ride them, which ever feels best, get it and don't look back.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts